Author Topic: Darkroom starter tips  (Read 2017 times)

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
Darkroom starter tips
« on: December 10, 2009, 07:25:13 PM »
Ho ho ho

I'm hopefully going to venture into a public darkroom before Christmas.  ;D

What stuff would you recommend while I get back to grips with printing and start practicing - the emphasis is on cheap!  I just want to get some images on paper first, then I can work on the quality!

Paper, developer, stop and fixer

Firstcall appear to sell Champion brand - good for starting off?

What else do I need?  I'm assuming that trays and grads will all be available.

Thanks,

Chops
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 07:31:41 PM by choppert »
"Photography is about failure" - Garry Winogrand

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
Re: Darkroom starter tips
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 09:00:38 PM »
Resin coated paper, Ilford is ideal. Check the net for deals, although I notice that retrophotographic do a great deal on Kentmere RC paper

Public darkrooms (or at least mine in Edinburgh) tend to have chemicals on site. Try them out as it is cheaper and perhaps part of the hire? I try and make sure I mix up my own chemicals as by their nature 'public' darkroom chemical use can be a bit iffy - sloppy practice, people putting the worng chemicals in the worng container, exhausted developers/fixers. The paper chemical ranges are pretty narrow compared to film developers so I'd suggest sticking with Ilford range as they are readily available and standard for most darkrooms so stick to one system.

Other essentials (if they are not there): focus finder, scissors, dark A4 card, a good easel, timer, lots of hand towels, A4 paper and pencil to scribble down procedures, something to carry your prints home in.

The first few times (and even thereafter!) can result in mistakes so just get into it and be prepared for failures, forgetfulness, fear, etc, and enjoy the magic of seeing the image appear on the paper. I love it everytime.
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 10:12:35 PM »
For stop bath, regular white vinegar diluted 50+50 does the job... and is super cheap.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 10:51:04 PM »
champion appear to make for Kojak I think. Come in the same bottles.
Silverprint doa really good and cheap proof paper. Otherwise, Foma varient Rc is a great cheap bet

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 10:54:49 PM »
I always bring an extra tray of my own, from home, to carry prints home in. I print on fiber based paper, and I don't trust the print dryers at a public darkroom to be clean (of chemicals) because most people I see there don't properly wash their prints before putting them in the dryer. So I carry my prints home wet, in my own (clean) tray.

When I get home I spread towels all over the floor and place the wet prints on them to dry.

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 04:05:07 PM »
PLease forgive the ignorant questions...I just started developing my own black and white film a couple months ago and continue to look for alternative chemicals..I see above that Francois is saying white vinegar  for stop bath..thats great..what about fixer ..is there an alternative to this...Just trying to get informed..I would really appreciate any information you much more experienced darkroomers can pass my way....

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 05:12:33 PM »
Diane - there are various different types of fixer available - from a plain hypo bath (sodium thiosulphate) to the various proprietary mixes - which range include acid fixes, neutral fixes and alkaline fixes.  There is not a household equivalent I know of.  btw, you dont really need any stop at all - several rinses in water are just as effective, in fact it is better in lots of ways because the film isnt being stressed by a sudden change from the alkaline developer to an acid stop which can cause pinholes in the neg emulsion.   In fact some people reckon the "best" procedure is to use either water stop or an alkaline stop then an alkaline fixer, because this is washed out of the emulsion much easier than an acid fix and keeps the film from getting too stressed throughout.

L.

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 05:26:19 PM »
Thank you Leon..will jot this info down..eventually I will have  a book filled with notes to help me...