Author Topic: rangefinder repair in US???? Help!  (Read 1488 times)

astrobeck

rangefinder repair in US???? Help!
« on: December 05, 2009, 08:21:35 PM »
wondering if any of the rangefinder users here (USA preferred)
have had any experience with a good rangefinder repairman?

I need my Yashica GTN looked at as the advance lever decided it's no longer going to advance after this mornings outing with it.  :'(

I know Mark Hama is well respected, but was wondering if there was another rangefinder guru around?

thanks always!
Becky

(and yes, this is the one with the fungus on the lens that I kept-it's been a good shooter in spite of the critters)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 08:23:18 PM by astrobeck »

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: rangefinder repair in US???? Help!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 08:52:33 PM »
You could check with the Yashica Guy. I don't know if he does repairs but he has a ton of yashica info on his site
http://www.yashica-guy.com/
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 02:02:27 PM »
You could check with the Yashica Guy. I don't know if he does repairs but he has a ton of yashica info on his site
http://www.yashica-guy.com/

I don't think he does but I have to recommend staying clear of him. Some of the information on his site is simply wrong and he only seems to care about making money from his battery adapters. I've had personal dealings with him so this isn't just hearsay.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

astrobeck

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 03:19:03 PM »
Thanks for the input Francois and Peter.

I contacted Mark Hama, and the estimate for a CLA and repair of the stuck advance lever ( which has unstcuk after I fiddled with it for awhile) is $110 plus $14 for shipping and insurance.

I also contacted the Yashica Guy but have heard nothing so far- thanks Peter for the input.

Not sure what I will do at this point, since the camera seems to be functional again.   ???

Even with the critters on the lens, I love this camera.  It's always been one of my favorite RF's as the optics are tack sharp and it has the perfect heft in my hands.

Thanks again!    :)

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 08:21:37 PM »
I don't know where you are in the US, but check out Nippon Camera Repair in NYC. Phone: 212-982-3177

Info Red

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 09:53:39 PM »
You might also try DAG camera repair:

www.dagcamera.com

I have heard good things about them, but have not used them myself.  I was speaking with someone who might/might not sell me a used Leica M6, and he said all his Leicas go to DAG for a CLA or any repairs needed.

Info Red