Author Topic: Frustrated with my Polaroid EE100 Special  (Read 11935 times)

Klaark

• 35mm
Frustrated with my Polaroid EE100 Special
« on: November 15, 2009, 09:15:33 PM »
I've been using a Polaroid EE100 Special with Fujifilm FP100-C/B for a while now. For landscapes I can get some really nice photos and find it relatively easy to get the exposure just the way I want it. But for portraits the camera a real swine to master. Having to resort to a tape measure every time I take a shot is a real pain the backside, too. Though I want to continue using the camera, the hit-and-miss nature of it's output is starting to frustrate me and I can't afford to keep shelling out for packs of peel-apart film. Does anybody have any suggestions for a more reliable alternative?

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
Re: Frustrated with my Polaroid EE100 Special
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 11:22:45 PM »
manual pola like the 195 or 180, or possibly the 600SE. the 180 and 190 have portrait kits, as well. they pop up on ebay on occasion.

http://moominsean.blogspot.com/2009/08/polaroid-sans-auto-manual-cameras.html
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 04:26:47 AM »
Does anybody have any suggestions for a more reliable alternative?

Like Sean says, and to complete the circular URL references, either the 195: http://filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=2201.0

or, 600SE: http://filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=779.0

Some other manual machines can be seen here too: http://filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=773.0

Sounds like a rangefinder is what you need, though, a gravity focus aid for your EE100 would be cheaper! They are easy to find, rip one off a Color Pack for example, and re affix to your EE. They work well as at f9 (or similar), your EE doesn't have too harsher DoF...

All the above are manual, so you're going to need a meter as well. Good luck! Skj.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 10:23:00 AM by Skorj »

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 04:51:25 AM »
I was thinking earlier a rangefinder would solve the problem,  but for the cost of a good rangefinder you can pick up a land camera with a coupled zeiss finder.  land cameras are a dime a dozen, with the exception of a few.  I'd just get a working camera with a coupled zeiss finder or go for the big top: a 195 or 600se......

Klaark

• 35mm
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 08:54:47 PM »
Thanks for the pointers, fellas. The 195 looks a real beaut, but after checking eBay it looks like I'll be paying over 300 quid for one and that's a fair amount of cash.

Quote from: Skorj
Sounds like a rangefinder is what you need, though, a gravity focus aid for your EE100 would be cheaper! They are easy to find, rip one off a Color Pack for example, and re affix to your EE. They work well as at f9 (or similar), your EE doesn't have too harsher DoF...

What's a gravity focus? Is it that silver/black little knob in the picture? I've got a feeling I may have a Color Pack stashed away somewhere, but I never got round to using it because it was dead on arrival from eBay. Maybe I'll dig her back out.

Quote from: gregor
...you can pick up a land camera with a coupled zeiss finder.  land cameras are a dime a dozen, with the exception of a few.

Could you point me in the direction of a few of the cheaper examples?

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 09:20:46 PM »
auction sites, thrift stores, etc. models like the 250 or 350 are good.

Do a google search on polaroid cameras - there's a few that list them out with descriptions.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 11:21:15 PM »
What's a gravity focus? Is it that silver/black little knob in the picture? I've got a feeling I may have a Color Pack stashed away somewhere, but I never got round to using it because it was dead on arrival from eBay. Maybe I'll dig her back out.

A gravity focus aid is a little device that uses a weighted needle and triangulation to measure the distance between the photographer and the subject. It works well in most situations. But, as it needs to 'know' two sides of a triangle to resolve the baseline (distance to subject), you need to be of average height, and standing.

Another option might be the 'face-sizer' viewfinder on some hardcases. Yours may already have a red or yellow square in the VF? The manual says fill this with a face and you are at the right distance, also marked on your focus scale on lens (if equipped that is).

As for the other auto folding Land cameras, the pick I think is the 360, but anything in this configuration will do the job! Skj.

Klaark

• 35mm
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 11:53:28 PM »
Thanks chaps. I'll scour the auction sites over the next week and see what I can come up with. If I manage to get my hands on a 250/350/360, what kind of batteries do they take? I dare say not the AAs my EE100 runs on.

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 03:25:18 AM »
The 250 uses a 4.5v PX19/531 battery. The 350 and 360 uses two PX24/532 3v batteries. The additional one is for the dev timer. They may be hard to find in some markets, but they are also easy to change over to more common batteries types.
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 10:41:59 AM »
Thanks chaps. I'll scour the auction sites over the next week and see what I can come up with. If I manage to get my hands on a 250/350/360, what kind of batteries do they take? I dare say not the AAs my EE100 runs on.
The mods can be easily done, I've a couple of land cameras running with Duaracell 9v and never had a problem.
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Klaark

• 35mm
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 12:02:41 AM »
Looks like I've managed to lay my hands on a 360. Found some batteries too, but at 20 quid for a pair I'm in no rush to part with my cash. Is the battery mod relatively easy to carry out? I'm not very good when it comes to technical jiggery pokery.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 12:58:18 AM »
Looks like I've managed to lay my hands on a 360. Found some batteries too, but at 20 quid for a pair I'm in no rush to part with my cash. Is the battery mod relatively easy to carry out? I'm not very good when it comes to technical jiggery pokery.

Excellent! I think the 360 needs only 1x battery to function though - the shutter one. The other is for the timer (as mentioned above). I am sure the interwebs (or Sean) will have a more accurate answer. Assume too you have found the Land List, as this is great help too.

As for the tech bits, there are a few tips on the 'net too (Google '360 Polaroid battery conversion'). Good luck! Skj.