Author Topic: Yashica-Mat Test Shots  (Read 5805 times)

Info Red

Yashica-Mat Test Shots
« on: October 23, 2009, 03:28:37 AM »
Several weeks ago a buddy and I went wandering with our cameras, and came across a flea market in a rural area.  Pretty soon I spotted a Yashica-Mat stuck in the middle of a pile of tennis shoes, old golf balls, and assorted stuff.  After checking it out (it was pretty dirty) I got the guy to sell it to me for $30 - it's not a G model or anything, but still, for that price I knew I had room in the truck to take it home.

I cleaned it up, loaded some Provia 100iso in it, and went wandering again this weekend.  So far, I think I did ok.

The river scene is the Mississippi at Louisiana, Missouri, looking east to Illinois.  The bridge carries traffic on US Highway 54.

The Orris theater marquee is in St. Genevieve, Missouri, also on the banks of the Mississippi.  It is the oldest white settlement west of the Mississippi.

Info Red

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
Re: Yashica-Mat Test Shots
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 06:12:28 AM »
Strong colors there! A great price too!

Feel free to post (file size permitting), up to 600 or 700 pixels wide too. An image hosting service can be used if the file size is too big for the forum. Skj.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 12:30:40 PM »
From this evidence it looks like you two make a good combination. Lovely stuff.

Info Red

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 04:20:59 PM »
Thanks for the comments.  I haven't used color film on any consistent basis in 20 or 30 years, but the saturation in the Provia is pretty tasty - at least for me,  especially for garish theatre marquees and such.  As far as posting larger files, I'll do that too, for the next round.

Info Red

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Yashica-Mat & Yashica-A Test Shots
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 04:28:56 PM »
I know the Yashica-Mat has always been a superb performer. It was produced in two lens versions (from memory). It is optically at least as good as a Rollei. Mine came with a Luxamar lens (4 elements 80mm f/3.5). Too bad it doesn't come with a built-in meter... though I sometimes have doubts over the sensitivity of old meters.

I recently had a go at trying out at Yashica-A. It came with a Yashicor lens (3 elements 80mm f/3.5). It is mechanically a lot simpler with a lot fewer options. You can't even mount a filter on it! It has red window winding and an uncoupled shutter. No meter in it so I was stuck using an old 1960's Sekonic Selenium cell based meter (batteryless). Exposures were thus a bit all over the place. And to make things worse, the pro lab where I brought the film for processing screwed up a few of the prints which would have needed manual balancing :( ... But anyways, here are a few of the best pics shot on slightly expired Kodak UC 100.

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 04:34:08 PM by Francois »
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Info Red

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 05:26:11 PM »
Hi Francois,

I love the juxtaposition of the CSA shot - the field of broom corn (that's what it's called in my neck of the woods) and the stark white buildings in the background.  CSA - does that stand for Corn Systems Analysis? ;D

The lens on my Yashica is a Yashinon 1:3.5.  I have no idea where that ranks in the scheme of good/poor lenses, but I do like the results, enough so that I'll continue to carry it as a part of my kit when out wandering.

I'm glad to know others out there are still using TLR's!

Info Red

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 10:59:25 PM »
I love the juxtaposition of the CSA shot - the field of broom corn (that's what it's called in my neck of the woods) and the stark white buildings in the background.  CSA - does that stand for Corn Systems Analysis? ;D
Well... close but no cigar.
On that picture, you're actually looking at the John H. Chapman Space Center of the Canadian Space Agency. He worked a lot to study the ionosphere.
Francois

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 01:26:18 AM »

i'm sure you'll love it!

I sold my mat only a few weeks ago, i'm wishing i hadn't now :(

snewbery

• Sheila Newbery Photography
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 03:16:10 AM »
vicky---that 'latest games' shot it is beautiful. Ouch on selling the camera. I hate that: camera sale regret...

Info Red: looks like a good match: you, camera and Provia.

Info Red

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 04:32:15 AM »
Vicky, did you just sell your 'Mat in the backwoods of Southern Missouri? ;D

Love the shot of the door/knob!  That lock has not seen a key in quite awhile!

Thanks Snewbery, for the kind words.  I think I might have to load another roll tomorrow; the fall colors are supposed to be at their optimum this weekend, according to the local weather wonks (and they're always right...)  After that I think I'll take it for a spin with some Tri-X.

IR

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 12:27:33 PM »
Vicky, did you just sell your 'Mat in the backwoods of Southern Missouri?

heh, no, northern ireland :)...i might get in touch and ask for first refusal if he ever wants to sell it on...it's not like i'd used it for ages but it was my first mf and the one that got me into it all seriously and looking at the pics reminded me how nice it was......oh well.

and thanks!

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 12:05:05 PM »
Love that single B&W portrait there Vicky. Nice. Something about portraits, and a TLR. Using one for portraits of strangers in the street is one thing I would definitely encourage. While we're stealing Info Red's thread, this from my 'Mat too (Ektar 100).

A man who told me this jinbo was not his most expensive. Yashica Mat 124 at f3,5.

See ya! Skj.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 04:02:01 PM »
A man who told me this jinbo was not his most expensive

Sorry Skorj for the uninitiated 'jinbo' is? (Google was no help with this one.)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 08:10:43 AM »
Sorry Skorj for the uninitiated 'jinbo' is? (Google was no help with this one.)

Sorry! Apart from the gray T, it is what he is wearing. De rigeur for summers in Tokyo. The man equivalent of the summer yukata for women:

(Also Ektar. From Brian this time.)

Not to be confused with the formal kimono:

Or hakama for men:

(Expired FujiPro 800, Ricoh Auto Half.)

Skj.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 08:25:20 AM by Skorj »

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 08:56:27 AM »
all so poetic.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 03:41:54 PM »
  I have no idea where that ranks in the scheme of good/poor lenses, but I do like the results, enough so that I'll continue to carry it as a part of my kit when out wandering.
For those you want a comparison of the different Yashica TLR's, here's the link on the Medium Format Library
Francois

Info Red

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 05:07:17 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Apparently my 'Mat is just about in the middle, quality-wise and chronology-wise.  I'm really pleased with the images I've gotten so far, so I'll keep using it!

Mark