Author Topic: Cornwall pictures and Wollworths  (Read 2506 times)

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
Cornwall pictures and Wollworths
« on: September 09, 2009, 01:57:16 AM »
Just finished processing the films I shot few weeks ago in Cornwall. When I came back to London I realized I had a couple of shots left on my Holga, there was this shot I'd been meaning to do for a long time which is a shot of the Woolworths Store near by I live.

Even though I wasn't grown up in UK  I've been living here long enough to understand the sentimental value of this brand , for some people is where they use to go as a kid whith their parents to buy sweets etc...

Anyways... here are the results !

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
Re: Cornwall pictures and Wollworths
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 10:33:51 AM »
That first snap is stunning!  ;D
Is that St Ives?

Chops
"Photography is about failure" - Garry Winogrand

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 11:47:42 AM »
lovely pics!
i'm off to cornwall in a couple of weeks, these get me in the mood :)

and you're right about woolies, i used to buy singles there and the pick n mix was always a favourite.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 03:14:21 PM »
The entire Woolworth chain went out of business so long ago in Canada that I barely remember it... I know they always had a small lunch corner which I never went to. They were gobbled-up by a chain called Woolco which was gobbled-up by the giant Wal-Mart soon after... it's a big fish eat smaller fish thing.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • Personal Site
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 10:12:24 PM »
That first snap is stunning!  ;D
Is that St Ives?

Chops
Cheers !
Yes, it is St Ives... such a beautiful place !
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 08:32:36 AM »
a big thumbs up for the St Ives pic - really nice.
L.

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 09:39:57 AM »
Cool pictures. The Woolies here has reopened as Wee W. Good too.

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 12:34:36 PM »
I gasped when I saw that first pic - LOVE, LOVE!!!  Even in the US we had Woolworth's - definitely good childhood memories :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 03:33:22 PM »
Is it just my memory or was the Woolworth sign made with a series of outlines inside each character printed in blue?
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • Personal Site
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 12:17:50 AM »
Thanks guys... the first picture is also my favourite of all the pictures I took on that weekend, it has this very dark atmosphere in a wonderful place. I took the same picture with my Canon D20 and it doesn't have the same feeling...
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 10:23:58 PM »
Great stuff! I recognised St Ives immediately and have to agree with everyone else that it's a wonderful shot; powerful, brooding, moddy. However, I also really, really like the Woolies snap too. Good old Holga, and well done you for composing those two so well. The other snaps are too busy for my liking and probably not the sort of thing that the Holga is good for...but thanks for posting them anyway.

Woolies fans should listen to "Love At The Five & Dime" by Nanci Griffith (I have a soft spot for sentimental country/folk and this is a great invocation of the American Woolworth stores of the 1960's)...and yes, Francois, Nanci Griffith mentions a lunch counter in the song   :D :D :D :D

Here's a link to the song. No login required.
http://www.last.fm/music/Nanci+Griffith/_/Love+at+the+Five+and+Dime?autostart

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 07:21:51 PM »
the St Ives image is really wonderful.

Ed - I can't help but note your music tastes via your blog and twitter comments, etc. I like to think that I've got a diverse taste in music and like you have a soft spot for Nanci Griffith et al...Little Love Affairs is a really lovely record innit. There is a great recording of Love at the Five and Dime on a live album called One Fair Summer Evening
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 10:00:33 PM »
Glad you like Nanci Griffith. I still own her first 10 or so albums. I have a real soft spot for country music from Texas: Guy Clark, Townes, Steve Earle, Joe Ely, Butch Hancock, Lyle Lovett etc. etc. Then  again I also like DRI, The Offenders and the Big Boys and a host of others who are also from Texas and not even vaguely country, so maybe it's just Texas music I like in general  ;D ;D

Yeah, the 'One Fair Summer Evening' version of 'Love at the Five and Dime' is great. If I remember correctly that's the one where she does the elevator 'ping' on her guitar during the spoken intro about catching the bus home from school via Woolies?