Author Topic: dumb technical question I should know the answer for, but don't  (Read 1109 times)

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
dumb technical question I should know the answer for, but don't
« on: November 28, 2009, 05:26:37 PM »
A few weeks back I was fortunate enough to find a very inexpensive, but minty, Zeiss Ikon 6x6 folder. The fastest ASA setting is 200.  However, since there is no metering in the camera I'm assuming the ASA dial has no mechanical relationship to shutter and aperture settings and I should just shoot based on film speed and handheld meter readings.

The model I have is the 523/16, Opton Tessar 3.5 lens.

Yes, I know - this should be a no brainer. All my other folders have never had a ASA setting.....

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Re: dumb technical question I should know the answer for, but don't
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 05:38:10 PM »
I think the ASA dial is just like a film memo thing to remind you what film you have loaded in the camera. As you say, it doesn't actually do anything.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 05:44:00 PM »
that's what I'm thinking since there's no apparent visual change to the shutter when holding the back open and shooting at all ASA settings per f-stops and shutter speeds. Instead of an ASA dial my other folders, if anything, had DOF markings on the dial.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 05:49:52 PM by gregor »

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 07:16:32 PM »
I've had cams where there is exactly this sort of reminder dial for the ASA.

yesterdayman

• 35mm
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 11:06:33 PM »
I have an Ikonta 523/16 with a Novar-Anastigmat 75/3.5.  The film speed reminder dial on mine is marked in DIN only, and there are 3 sets of numbers around the dial - one set from DIN numbers 6 to 24 marked "COLOR" (sic) in silver characters on black background, one set from DIN numbers 6 to 24 marked "COLOR" in black characters on a silver background, and the third set from DIN numbers 12 to 30 marked "/10? DIN".  Presumably the three sets of numbers are to signify film type.

I like my 523/16 because it is one of the lightest and most compact 6x6 cameras to carry around (ignoring Holgas).  I am an old fart - older than the camera itself - but the modern digital kiddies would find this one unusable because it has no meter and no focussing aids.