Author Topic: chromogenic film in B+W chemicals?  (Read 1126 times)

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
chromogenic film in B+W chemicals?
« on: February 14, 2009, 04:58:52 PM »
Hello,

Can I develop Kodak 400CN film in normal B+W developer rather than the C41 chemicals it was designed for?

Will it still retain its wide latitude?

Thanks,

Chops
"Photography is about failure" - Garry Winogrand

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: chromogenic film in B+W chemicals?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 05:40:06 PM »
You can indeed. I understand roger hicks often devs XP2 in standard chems. I don't know how it turns out though. Why not give it a go and let us know how you get on.
L.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 10:00:27 AM »
XP-2 in Aculux (15 mins) is my standard these days and I would have thought the same would work for the Kodak. XP-2 seems to retain it's latitude. I rate it at 200 but do go up or down a stop depending on conditions with no change in processing. If you want to try FX-39 then use 12 mins.

Why the Kodak? I've never used it but, as far as I know, it's much more like a colour film than the Ilford or Fuji and has a tinted base. Whether that makes a difference though I don't know. In one of those B&W mags there's a review of all three films by Julien Busselle who, I think, said he preferred the Kodak but they were being processed in C41 so may not be applicable if deve'd in b&w chemicals.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 04:00:07 PM »
Just so happens I deve'd a couple of films today (XP-2) and one has a few frames with a wide range of exposures. But I was able to get fairly decent scans from all of them, though I did have to change the gain of the scanner to achieve it. But it shows the film still has a wide tolerance even deve'd in b&w chemicals. I suspect the Kodak would be similar but not confirmed of course. Here's the negs. The finished pics are in this weekend's thread.

"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."