Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 933 times)

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
Insurance
« on: January 23, 2009, 05:15:49 PM »
Okay, another question concerning sending work and such for shows, etc. How does one obtain insurance when sending packages via post office, UPS. What documents are needed to verify the value of your work in case it is lost or damaged? I asked the teller yesterday, as I explained my situation....and he said, do you have the receipt of the frame you bought to put your picture in? I was like....um. I was thinking to myself, the frame was only $15.

So what exactly is needed in such a case? How do you place/prove the value that has no receipt...other than the things need to frame the work. I hope you get the idea here. Any information would greatly be appreciated...as always. Thanks so much...
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

gary m

• Sheet Film
  • Listen to the picture
    • Gary Moyer
Re: Insurance
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 06:05:08 PM »
Hi Beck, this what I have done in the past. I always pack with plenty of bubble wrap and a new box. I also have the framer use a good quality plexiglass instead of glass. In fact, some of the shows I was in last year would not except glass. When going to the post office, I did not elect insurance because I was confident of my packing. I have shipped items with insurance though. It just requires you to put a dollar value on the item, and the post office will tell you what their fee is to offer the insurance. It is fairly cheap, and requires one extra little paper/sticker to fill out. A decent postal employee will show how to do it. I was never asked to verify value of what I was shipping, just how much did I want to insure it for.

One other thing I would suggest, it to ask for delivery confirmation. This is also cheap, and allows you to go online to see if your package arrived. So basically go to the post office counter, ask to ship your package first class mail, delivery confirmation, with x amount of dollars insurance. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 06:10:28 PM by gary m »