Author Topic: Canon FL50mm  (Read 1613 times)

cwilk

• Mostly Monochrome
Canon FL50mm
« on: October 27, 2008, 07:10:43 PM »
Can anyone helps me please?

I want to attached a Canon FFL 50mm lens to a EOS5.  I know I need something called a Bowyer ring.  Anyone know where you can buy these from in the UK?  Also, can this damage the camera at all?

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Re: Canon FL50mm
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 08:39:35 PM »
I think what you mean is a Bower adapter. Bower is a US manufacturer (may be importer/wholesaler) of photo bits and pieces. Mostly cheap and cheerful I think.

The lens adapters don't have a good name as they have an optical element in them to correct the focus and the lens used, apparantly, ain't great (I've no personal experience). I used to use EOS gear myself and looked at adapting older lenses to fit them but I don't think it's possible to use FD or FL lenses on EOS cameras without using an adapter with some optics in it - and that rather defeats the object I think.

SRB does an FD to EOS adapter here but not an FL adapter that I can find. They do make adapters to order though but I guess cost would be high.

If you're just looking to use old manual lenses on your EOS, maybe better to look at old Pentax lenses with 42mm screw thread as they can be adapted to fit EOS without the need for any optics.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 09:44:26 PM »
I just found this
http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/Lens-adapters.html

It says that Canon FD/FL has a 42mm registration distance.
Canon EF has a 44mm registration distance.
Since I figure the EOS probably has EF lenses, an optical adapter is needed.

I have the same problem with my Nikon (46.5mm registration) which makes lens hacking difficult.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

cwilk

• Mostly Monochrome
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 05:54:18 PM »
Thanks for that reply.

I am going to follow the link.  I hope that I can still use the lens and get the F1.8 effect I bought it for in the first place.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 06:16:48 PM »
If you use an adapter with an optical element, it works a bit like a converter and multiplies the focal length by some factor so your 50mm lens will become something longer. This will also effect the effective aperture so you may no longer have an f/1.8 lens. I don't know what the multiplication factor is so it may not make a big difference but something to keep in mind maybe.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

cwilk

• Mostly Monochrome
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 07:32:56 PM »
I'm wondering if it would be easier to buy a manual Canon from the sixties than mess about.

I've always wanted a manual camera for back up.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 09:27:07 PM »
Most adapters have a 1.1x multiplication ratio.
Another option would be to take apart a 1.4x converter and have the barrel milled at a machine shop and re-assemble the whole thing...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 09:33:25 PM by Francois »
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.