Author Topic: New podcast online now: Sep '08  (Read 4267 times)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
New podcast online now: Sep '08
« on: September 03, 2008, 11:49:48 PM »
I accidentally uploaded an incomplete MP3 file last night,but this has now been rectified and it gives me great pleasure to announce that after a slight false start the September '08 FW.com podcast is now ready for you to download/play. Hope you enjoy it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edwenn/2818830688/
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 11:54:06 PM by ed.wenn »

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: New podcast online now: Sep '08
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 10:24:41 AM »
By the way, just a quick note about the numbers we're getting on these podcasts. We make mention of it at the end of the current episode, but I thought I'd share them with you on the forum as well. I for one, find them quite surprising, in a good way obviously. The figures below are totalled from RSS feeds, direct downloads and plays from the page.

Episode 1 - 796
Episode 2 - 757
Episode 3 - 667
Episode 4 - No stats for this one because the page got corrupted so the stats don't register unfortunately
Episode 5 - 654
Episode 6 - 464
Episode 7 - 337
Episode 8 - 18

The usual pattern is that we clock up about 200 downloads/listens in the first 2 or 3 days and then after that the numbers go up steadily, but less quickly. The exception was the one where Skorj mentioned Tommy Oshima and we got something like 300 in 24 hours, presumably from all of Tommy's Flickr fans?

Talking of which...we really need to overcome the time zone problems and get Skorj to do another show. Long overdue.

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 11:17:50 AM »
I like when you chaps are together. Another cool podcast gents. I kept hearing what sounded like a rooster?? Then I remembered about the dogs in the background. I am going to believe it was a rooster. I was larfing. It is so cool to know just how close you three are and it really comes through each session too. I think that is neat. While Ed has this certain tone and is someone who I would chat up with for hours on end on the phone....I must admit, Damion and Leon's voices together as a pair are rather....um, how should I say....nice, and made for, um...well, midnight. I have to go now....

Looking forward to the next collab, too. Good show....Ed has very big feet.  ;)
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 11:45:08 AM »
thanks Becky - it was in fact a rooster (or Cockerel as we like to call them).  there's a farm about 100 yards from my back garden that is full of them - nice to hear occasionally, but not at 4 in the morning when I'm sleeping off a skinful from the night before.
L.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 11:47:35 AM »
Not that we recorded the show at 4AM. I think it was more like 10, but they were still a crowin'. Good ears, Becky. I meant to mention it in the show notes. Thanks for reminding me.
 ;D

..and I don't have big feet (size 10 UK for the record), it's that damn wide lens on D's SE600 that makes 'em look big.

Anyway, glad you liked the podcast and thanks for the feedback.

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 11:54:50 AM »
I can't stop laughing....even at 7am in the morning. I think you are only able to hear the rooster with headphones on such as I used to listen. Several times, in fact. I don't know, but cockerel, skinful and size 10 shoe are a little too much to absorb right now and will chuck off back to bed. Haha....

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 11:58:45 AM by beck »
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 12:10:27 PM »
I didn't hear cockrels, just someone left their mobile phone on and it was interferring with the recording device? Something I recognise from leaving a mobile too close to the tv/sound system...

nevermind, i did near the crowing at the end :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 12:21:22 PM by Heather »
Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 03:21:51 PM »
Really enjoyed this one. Listened to it while driving down the M4 this morning. And I even got a mention. Cool...
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Nicole BM

• Nicole Boenig-McGrade
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 08:03:13 PM »
Thank you, I enjoy the podcasts. I heard the mobile phone interference as well.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 09:09:22 PM »
Really enjoyed this one. Listened to it while driving down the M4 this morning. And I even got a mention. Cool...

Hey Peter, anyone who can be that productive over a single weekend deserves an honourable mention! Keep it up. We're expecting wet plate collodion next weekend.
 ;)

Re The Mobile Phone Noise: I did make mention this in the show notes so am aware it's on the podcast in 3 or 4 places, but thanks for letting me know. Apologies all round. It was my phone I'm afraid (schoolboy error etc.). I was charging it from my laptop while did the recording and thought I'd turned it off...but I hadn't. The word, 'numpty' springs to mind - even if it's not a real word.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 12:26:41 AM »
When I heard that Leon had a hard time finding bellows, I remembered a company in the States that does custom bellows without any tooling charges. Here is the link.
http://www.gortite.com/camera_bellows.htm

I've never done any business with them but they seem quite serious.
They do both square and tapered bellows in synthetic material.
They also do bellows for tractors and other machinery...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

artpunk

• Life is absurd, but beautiful!
    • The Plastic Lens
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 10:00:43 AM »
Ed - great podcast as usual & thanks for giving me a mention guys in the stereo photography bit.
One note: the anaglyph stereo images you can see on my site are captured by a 'true' stereo camera, a Russian Sputnik which takes two images 6x6 on medium format film from two lenses spaced eye separation distance next to each other to give the stereo effect when the separate images are viewed side by side in a viewer (like what you mentioned in the 'cast) or viewed in anaglyph form using those crazy red & blue glasses used to watch 3D movies. But the photos are made from two separate images, no digital extrapolation to create a stereoscopic image from a single image there. The only digital manipulation is when I merge the two images into the anaglyph form for viewing online (using the aforementioned glasses).
 :)

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
...the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe'
theplasticlens

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 03:08:26 PM »
Is it just me or is this one hard to download?
I keep getting a "size mismatch error" at some point when I download it...
Francois

edthened

• Peel Apart
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/edthened/
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 04:30:37 PM »
Och a reellie enjoyed de podcast, even though a dinnae hav a pod, an de soond effects wer awfie good tae :-) :-)
A Man's a Man for a' that
Robert Burns

euge...

• Flickr
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 10:25:58 PM »
Is it just me or is this one hard to download?
I keep getting a "size mismatch error" at some point when I download it...
Not just you...I have gotten between 10 antd 28 mins downloaded at various attempts. Still ,it means that I can listen with a nice cup of tea at a table rather than balancing in a train aisle .

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 12:13:21 AM »
All, if you're having problems downloading it (as Eugene and Francois have) then go to http://drop.io/filmwasters where I'll leave a copy for download for a week or two.

As I've just been discussing with Francois off-line, of the circa 200 plays we've had so far for #8, 70 are marked as being downloads so obviously some people have been able to do it and in fact I just did it successfully myself. Very weird.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 05:52:06 PM »
Maybe it's related to the fact that I use my public library's access (I'm a sucker for freebies)...
Though I doubt it since I usually transfer big files through their connection...

Added 2008-09-19 5:19pm Montreal time:

I just went and downloaded it. Came in slow but sure. Thanks for posting it, I'll listen to it tonight.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 10:19:55 PM by Francois »
Francois