Author Topic: Agfa Optima  (Read 1890 times)

sausage100uk

Agfa Optima
« on: September 10, 2008, 08:10:19 PM »
I found an Agfa optima with flash at the charity shop for ?1. finally got round to developing the roll of porterload 400 last night.

heres my fave from the results (most of the roll was family snaps)

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
God created Paramedics so Firemen could have heroes...

cmdrray

Re: Agfa Optima
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 04:21:43 AM »
It's great to see people using Agfa cameras. Several months ago, the store I work at had an Leica Days sale. The Leica rep went on and on about Summicrons, Noctiluxes, etc. etc....sure, I like my M3...very nice.  I also like my dad's Ansco Regent (=Agfa Solinette) with its Agfa Apotar 3.5 lens. [for my fellow otaku/geeks out there, the Apotar is a Cooke triplet design]. Anyway, when I mentioned that I shoot with the Regent every so often, the Leica rep said, "well....you know, those A-po-tar lenses weren't very good...blah, blah, blah..." OK...clicked on my flickr page, and showed him this shot of the old Blitz-Weinhard Brewery about a year before it closed. The rep said, "oh.....well.....er....um....uh....hmm....make that a large order of crow for me, ok?"
This shot was taken with Agfa APX 25 film using a No. 25 red filter. The developer was Kodak HC-110.

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 03:14:50 PM »
The Leica rep went on and on about Summicrons, Noctiluxes, etc.
I'm quite sad to announce that Leica has officially pulled the plug on the Noctilux line...  :'(
The last few are on special order in a custom made box (they used rare woods) with a commemorative book and a big premium...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

rolo

• What comes out gray is really red.
    • rolopix!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 06:29:50 AM »
Word on the street is that Leica will show a Noctilux f/0.95 at Photokina.  I also read that it will be priced at a paltry 8,000 Euros.

::)

cmdrray

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 07:24:12 AM »
My boss is going to Photokina...I'll ask him to find out about this lens. Our local Leica rep has been making noises about it, too (we have a running joke at work that whatever he tells us is coming out will be shipped via Rail Zeppelin....which never seems to find the right station...)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 03:06:28 PM »
It's a myth that dissapears: the fabrication of the Leica Noctilux M 1:1/50 mm has been stopped. This legendary optic - the first with an ultra wide aperture of f/1 to be mass produced - had to bid farewell in high style. The last 100 produced will be sold in a limited edition, in a prestigious lacquered box. Leica went all the way to offer this jewel the best case possible: the case is the work of Elie Bleu, (...) who is better known by fans of precious objects for his cigar cases, pens or watches. His company now offers his know how for the protection of this precious Noctilux: lacquered wood box made from noble species, gold plated metallic ferrules, interior made from Italian Alcantara... and the cherry on the sundae, the cover is fitted with a special cartridge containing a desiccant product that maintains the inside of the box perfectly dry. A precision built-in hygrometer will certify that the lens is kept in optimal conditions. This special edition also contains a nice book with leather covering and golden edge that traces back the history of Leica. This incredible package will be made available in July (2008) for the sweet price of... 10,000 euros.

This is a translation of what I was talking about...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.