Author Topic: back on track?  (Read 3180 times)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
back on track?
« on: July 21, 2008, 08:54:43 PM »
After my miserable failure to make anything worth showing anyone in my dawn shoot last week (see the "thoughts" thread below), I decided to go back to what I know best.  I managed to get the car for the day as my wife was working from home today and I headed to the Coast.  What is it about the sea that inspires so much?

anyway, here are a few neg scans from todays roll.  I've got the car again tomorrow so I've got the map out already.  And there was me thinking noon in Mid-Summer on a sunny day was a bad time to take landscape pics! Comments (good or bad) welcome as always:

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
L.

rdbkorn

• Error-Prone
Re: back on track?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 10:54:43 PM »
Wonderful images. I like your choice of placing the end of the pier on the horizon line in the first image, it makes the repetition of the pilings particularly strong, giving a sense of stretching out to infinity. In the other three images, I think the choice of long exposure to capture cloud movements in the sky creates an organic, abstract element that balances the careful geometric composition of pylons, sea wall etc.

Obviously going back to what you know best was a good decision. I think the Chilham project will come together once you can get past that point of thinking about it as a project, and past the point of "trying" to make images to specifically convey the sense of peace and tranquility at dawn. Seems like a lot of responsibility to place on the images and photographer. Once the "pressure is off", the images you want of Chilham will no doubt come.

Paul

tijeras

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 12:01:12 AM »
Ah, there's Leon. He's back, and on fire.

These are what we have all been spoiled by. 
Mesmerizing delicacies that seduce the senses.

I want to stare and study and be involved with these, and not just glimpse and pass on.

The subject matter has put a spell on you, so keep  those feelings in hand and go back to do the project of Chilham.
I think the others you posted the other day were also a bit "busy".
thumbs up Mr. Taylor!!!

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 12:34:05 AM »
That first one is a killer! Though, I also like the single pylon too... The groyne is OK, but you've done them before? Nice all over though.

Stu

• Peel Apart
    • Daily35
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 12:47:48 PM »
First and third (1st especially) just ridded me of my OCD for the day - seriously satisfying composition.
Nice one.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 02:35:13 PM »
thanks everyone. 

Paul and Becky - thanks, you are both right, I need to bear yesterday in mind and re-visit the chilham thing.  I think I'm going to wait until the autumn now though, - dawn is a much more approachable girl at 6 in the morning than she is at 4:30. 

Skj - yes, they groynes shot was a bit of a security blanket - like slipping on an old pair of shoes after your new boots have given you blisters. It was the first I took that day, but it helped me to get back into the right frame of mind.  I really love the peace of sitting by the tripod while the long exposure is going off and the waves are crashing around.

Stu - glad I could be of service.  Looking at a picture on a screen is a much more amenable treatment than CBT or a mild dose of prozac.  Maybe I should market this ... take on the Pharmaceutical giants.  You've got me thinking now ;)
L.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 05:22:55 PM »
They are all great Leon I particularly like the first as it appeals to my sense of order.

I echo the others on the Chilham project....you have the seed....god knows you have the talent. Sometimes we try too much when we need to feel the force!

Thanks for sharing

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 07:39:06 PM »
Leon,

Wicked!!!!

Cheered up a rather grim jaunt out to Mumbai.  Reminds me of home.  (Well, sort of.  Though for the record I don't live under a pier!)

Without being too much of a train-spotter....  What time of day was this and what were the exposure details?

Chops
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 07:59:02 PM by choppert »
"Photography is about failure" - Garry Winogrand

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 08:53:35 PM »
mid day - between 3 and 5 mins at f 16.  FP4+ in metol. catechol developer.
L.

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 09:00:43 PM »
mid day - between 3 and 5 mins at f 16.  FP4+ in metol. catechol developer.

With the FP4+ rated at what?  Or am I being a bit thick?
"Photography is about failure" - Garry Winogrand

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 10:17:42 PM »
fp4+ at 80

also a minus 10 stop ND filter and a red 23

L.

eyecaramba

• Reject from Richmond
    • Eye Caramba
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 11:55:07 PM »
Great work Leon.  They are all having something going on.  I think I might like the oil rig or buoy or whatever it is...  I have dabbled a little in fog recently also but nothing so timeless or ephemeral as these.
My chopstick is really a love poem.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 10:35:43 AM »
thanks elGordo - I'd very much like to see your fog dabblings
L.

eddie

• Peel Apart
    • monosnaps
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 08:51:30 PM »
Nice work Leon the coastline is full of interesting shapes and the lovely skies complement these strong  images.  Do you have to do any work on your scans, I get a lot of fall-off on my 50mm wideangle and generally they need some PS work which I dislike doing.  You scans look realy good.

///rin

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 05:20:54 AM »
these are great!  i'm not generally a huge landscape fan, but these are very captivating. 

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 11:13:27 PM »
Leon, I took a walk along Deal pier on Saturday with Jacqui and almost nipped underneath it to snap away with my Diana clone, but decided against it after some deliberation as the results would clearly have overshadowed your own hackneyed, in focus, sharp, balanced, properly exposed effort as displayed above. Honestly the tricks you real photographers hide behind to dress up your work. Focus? Exposure? Filters? Pfffft....what new-fangled ideas will you come up with next?

Don't think, shoot.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

In all seriousness though, the pier shot is spiffing. Welcome back.