Author Topic: thought please???  (Read 2499 times)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
thought please???
« on: July 18, 2008, 04:00:20 PM »
I'm interested to hear what you think about these 2 prints.  Which, if either works.  Is there enough in the picture to hold your attention or is it all a bit dull?  I'm uncertain as to whether either has enough impact.  It's potentially for my Chilham at Dawn project, so needs to convey the sense of peace and tranquillity.

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
L.

rdbkorn

• Error-Prone
Re: thought please???
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 04:25:48 PM »
I find the second image more engaging, because of the additional cloud detail in the sky and in the reflection on the water. I also find the tree line to be better defined against the darker tone of the sky in the second image compared to the first image.

Paul

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 04:43:15 PM »
I think the first frame holds that peace and tranquility a little bit better than the last...for me. A sense of stillness. While it is nice to look at, I am more drawn to the second frame best. It makes my eyes hover around a lot longer keeping me there more so than the first. It is like waiting for the storm and such to arrive.
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 04:50:10 PM »
These can't be hand held and surly taken with a tripod? They are exactly alike, only different with the passing of time.

tijeras

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 04:54:54 PM »
Leon,
These, are nice, but they don't really jump out and grab me like some of your other work has.  If there were only these two to pick from I would go with the one that has more detail in the sky and reflection....I say this because I think the shadows are better in it.
However...I think you have done stronger work that is more compelling.  Most of your prints have impact that really catches you by the eye and keeps you exploring.
These two are not as intriguing-they are just trees by water to me .

These are not the typical "wow!" shots that I have been spoiled with seeing from you.

Becky

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 05:20:48 PM »
Becky R - that's exactly what i needed to hear.  These 2 were the best of a bad bunch!  I seem to have forgotten how to make a photo.  really struggling to take anything that's any good on this project.  I think the time of year doesnt help - mid summer is never the best time make landscape pics. 

L.

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 07:33:09 PM »
Hi Leon,

Got to agree with Becky on the not jumping out at me bit.
First one is my preference out of the two, the second is a bit text-booky, mackerelish sky, strong reflections etc.
Think you've made a great job of what in all honesty looks a bit of a dull subject.
Suppose you could have combined this with Peter's ideas and used the pedalo-cam?

Chops
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 06:44:39 AM by choppert »
"Photography is about failure" - Garry Winogrand

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 08:46:52 PM »
Interesting one. At first I wasn't too gripped by them, and then when I read that they were within the context of 'Chilham at dawn', they held more appeal. However, even so, I think you can produce much stronger work that doesn't need a context in order for it to be successful, so I'd be inclined to put them to one side and wait for the autumnal light to bring you more inspiration - which, I'm sure, it will.

But don't worry. I'm sure the muse hasn't left you - she's just off in Magaluf for a couple of weeks, that's all.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 09:45:40 PM »
i adjusted the contrast a bit in photoshop... i think you will agree it is much improved. your muse hath returned?

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

eyecaramba

• Reject from Richmond
    • Eye Caramba
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 10:21:42 PM »
I saw this thread earlier in the day... was sort of thinking about it in the background.  Thought I would come back by and comment and then I see Sean's image.

I really think what you have done is beautiful Sean.  If it isn't too forward I think that you and Leon could collaborate on pictures of me.  I am almost certain it has never been attempted. 

But seriously, I am laughing ass off.  And Leon the second one I think is better but it is perhaps not your most happening image.  Very nice.  A little dry.  Not that I can even really think about it at this point.
My chopstick is really a love poem.

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 03:46:54 AM »
I am laughing so goddamn hard....and yet, I find it so, enchanting. One of your best, Sean. It reminds me of those dearly departed funeral cards.

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 06:39:43 AM »
Simply brilliant Sean.

Leon...What Beck said. Technically it all works well of course, but it's not screaming out that it's a Taylor best.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »
I'm hearing you all loud and clear.  thanks for taking the time to think about it.

Sean  - I'm not getting what everyone is laughing about?  I think the contrast tweaking you've made has really enhanced the overall feel. Did you add a little USM too?  It really improves it.  there seems to be a little "digital noise" in the top right hand corner that might need a little work?
L.