Author Topic: Do You ILL?  (Read 3322 times)

Ron

• Alt Photos
Do You ILL?
« on: May 09, 2006, 10:22:29 PM »
Hi All,

First post (are there any hazing rituals I should be aware of)  ;)
Great forum and site; enjoying the work and discussions presented herein.

Wanted to share some info regarding photography specifically, but really this applies to ALL books and library materials in general.  Presently, I am viewing 2 photo books and 1 VHS tape.  I love viewing great books of photography! The books are Harry Callahan, New Color: Photographs 1978-1987 and Linda Conner's, Solos, respectively.  The VHS is Harry Callahan, A Need to See and Express.  I have been utilizing my library system's ILL or InterLibrary Loan for several years and wanted to shed some light on a great way to obtain rare and hard to find books and materials for FREE.  InterLibrary Loan is a way to borrow materials your library/library system does not own by borrowing it from another library.  Ask if your library offers this service.  I have fortunately viewed many, many books and videos/DVDs from public, institutional, etc. libraries all over the country and I believe you can get materials internationally (a fee is probably required), too.  I normally get 5 titles a month and rarely can an item not be found or loaned and very few times has a lending library required a fee of any kind (I just don't get it if I have to pay).  This is a fantastic way to get exposure to work in print you might not otherwise be able to see.

-Ron

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
Re: Do You ILL?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 11:17:41 PM »
what a great idea, Ron.

Welcome.

:)

Janet_P

• Peel Apart
    • Janet Penny Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 09:42:21 AM »
We have this service in the UK too, although you have to pay a small fee to get the book transferred to your branch.
I too use it all the time - I mentioned in another post that I got to see HCB The Decisive Moment in print. The library system is a great, philanthropic thing.

Janet

ps. Welcome Ron

Tammy

• momentsofmine
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 12:01:45 PM »
Hi Ron!

Thanks so much for that information.  You know I've been wanting to run over to my library to see if I can do the same. 

Good to see you here.
Tammy :)