Author Topic: Shooting The Mafia  (Read 421 times)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Shooting The Mafia
« on: August 28, 2024, 12:26:43 AM »
I don't know if I've mentioned this film here, but it is an amazing piece of work for many reasons. First, and most relevant to this board, it is about a female photographer, Letizia Battaglia, who is somehow able to waltz right into the inner sanctums of the mafia (I think possibly because the mafia dons were like "she's just a woman, what harm could she do?") and document it in a way that I've never seen it portrayed before. Hyper realistic, and extremely poignant in the message it sends. Previously, I had always been a huge fan of the Godfather movies, and honestly that was my only source of information about the mafia. Highly glamorized and sensationalized, so therefore not realistic at all. "Shooting The Mafia" is very realistic, and showed me that all of my preconceived notions about the mafia were wrong. The film also concludes with the sensationalized murder of Giovanni Falcone, the judge who was poised to send all of the major crime bosses to prison before he was taken out. I highly recommend the film to give you a heavy dose of reality about a subject that you maybe have a very skewed perception of. Also, lots of amazing photography 😁

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: Shooting The Mafia
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2024, 03:26:23 AM »
Looks interesting, I’ll have to watch that.  The trailer can be viewed here: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9358256/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2024, 04:13:01 PM »
It's funny because the Italian Mafia has always been a large part of the Montreal scene ever since the first big wave of immigration in the early 1900's.
We have a crime reporter who was very trusted by them and who often got invited to the boss' home for dinner (and he's still alive) and who told quite a few tidbits about how they live. He said that they are just an actual normal family, with kids running around the house and everything. To them, it's just a business like any other business.
They also owned a lot of the night clubs in the city. And if something was about to happen in the club, they warned the musicians and staff ahead of time so that they wouldn't get involved or hurt in any way. Somehow, they were very gentlemen-like and very nice as long as you don't step on their turf. Something that can't be said of other criminal gangs.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2024, 12:43:13 AM »
That sounds right up my street, Satish. Thanks for the recommendation.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2024, 01:17:02 AM »
That's looks good.
Thanks

Extra chops for the Pentax K1000
« Last Edit: September 06, 2024, 01:23:45 AM by astrobeck »

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2024, 09:03:08 AM »
That looks a good watch, thanks Satish.

I don't know if this film is still available (https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/camera-is-the-indie-movie-every-photographer-will-love) but it popped up on my Flipboard app and I had forgotten about it till you posted this thread but I hopefully will get round to watching it (using my son's Amazon Prime acc) soon.
It's good to see a movie where the camera is very prominent vehicle in the plot rather than just an aside.