Author Topic: 8/23-25 weekend thread!  (Read 933 times)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
8/23-25 weekend thread!
« on: August 23, 2024, 06:31:54 PM »
As promised, here's a photo from my recent trip to Italy. Full photo essay here: https://filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=10683.0

Minox 35EL/Fuji 64T II/C41

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: 8/23-25 weekend thread!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2024, 03:29:44 PM »
Ohh, Mama Mia
che bel paesaggio 😉
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2024, 10:44:09 AM »
Nicve start Satish
We are going to take a week in Sicily a bit later in the year, where were you?
I have been playing around with the Zebra Dry plates and will attempt to do some salt print soon with them.
1/2 Plate Marion & Co camera  with a 203mm Kodak Ektar F7.7 lens

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2024, 02:09:17 PM »
Love the blue yellow tones in your Sicily series Satish!
Irv, looks like you nailed the exposure on those dry plates. Looking forward to your salt prints.

Mine is from our holidays in the south of Germany. Rolleiflex 3.5f and Kodak Tmax 400, developed in XT-3.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2024, 02:51:30 PM »

I was in Trapani. It's a little sleepy town about an hour west of Palermo. I would not recommend going there 😂 Also, I would not recommend going to Sicily in August 🥵 and this coming from someone with South Indian genes! It was oppressively hot there and nobody owned air conditioners OR FANS 😲 I'd hope that in a larger city like Palermo or Catania they would have heard of these wonderful modern inventions 😁 Also at some point it would probably be nice to circumnavigate the island, but that would probably take a while, it's not as small as you think 😉 Where do you plan to be?

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2024, 03:13:32 PM »

I was in Trapani. It's a little sleepy town about an hour west of Palermo. I would not recommend going there 😂 Also, I would not recommend going to Sicily in August 🥵 and this coming from someone with South Indian genes! It was oppressively hot there and nobody owned air conditioners OR FANS 😲 I'd hope that in a larger city like Palermo or Catania they would have heard of these wonderful modern inventions 😁 Also at some point it would probably be nice to circumnavigate the island, but that would probably take a while, it's not as small as you think 😉 Where do you plan to be?

We are looking at Ragusa Ibla fairly central in the Island, but we were intending to go at the start of October.
I was intending to hire a car and get about a bit but if it is as big as you say we will have to be particular as to where we go.

Harvey

• Peel Apart
    • Meandering Extracts
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2024, 06:29:23 PM »
After only four months, I've scanned some of my North Wales pictures.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2024, 09:01:37 PM »
Wow Harvey, that's a really nice shot!
I've been out testing a lens that officially does not exist. The Industar-26M was never produced in Contax mount, but I've got one. There is a small number of these circulating outside the former USSR. The modification is really professionally done, you cannot see that it isn't factory made. And it is sharp enough too.

Contax II / Industar-26m 2.8/50 / Rollei Superpan 200 in HC-110
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2024, 05:53:20 PM »
Really like all the moods of photos this weekend.

I'll add a vivitar Wide and Slim shot on some Delta 100 that looks almost infrared to me...
taken along the Bosque next to the Rio Grande in Albuquerque.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2024, 05:55:44 PM by astrobeck »

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2024, 10:02:31 PM »

We are looking at Ragusa Ibla fairly central in the Island, but we were intending to go at the start of October.
I was intending to hire a car and get about a bit but if it is as big as you say we will have to be particular as to where we go.

Ibla is on the east side, so maybe concentrate on Syracuse and Catania. That should give you plenty of stuff to do 😊

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2024, 10:41:36 PM »
Last weekend I went to a skate contest in a nearby city.
I just developed the film this afternoon.
Since I had a backache, I decided to go light on gear.
I took a Sprocket Rocket with an old (but sadly not powerful enough) flash unit.
I loaded with the fastest film I had: some very expired Fuji 800 that had lost over half of it's low light potential. and headed-off to the party.
I got a few good frames, a lot of dust, and a big long scratch that goes across. It could have been either in the camera or in the cassette, I'll have to investigate as it's the first time this camera does this.
Things were happening so fast that it was a bit hard to react in time.
Here are some of the best.
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2024, 11:19:29 PM »
Last weekend I went to a skate contest in a nearby city.
I just developed the film this afternoon.
Since I had a backache, I decided to go light on gear.
I took a Sprocket Rocket with an old (but sadly not powerful enough) flash unit.
I loaded with the fastest film I had: some very expired Fuji 800 that had lost over half of it's low light potential. and headed-off to the party.
I got a few good frames, a lot of dust, and a big long scratch that goes across. It could have been either in the camera or in the cassette, I'll have to investigate as it's the first time this camera does this.
Things were happening so fast that it was a bit hard to react in time.
Here are some of the best.

First off, I do love those shots, especially the first one. I love how the flash just illuminates the skateboarder and falls off very rapidly everywhere else 😊

But I really HATE 800 speed film 🤣 In my limited experience, 800ASA film loses sensitivity MUCH faster than any other film, much more than twice the rate of 400ASA film. So to me, if a roll of 800 film isn't still warm from the coating plant, I shoot it at least at 400, usually at 200 or slower 😕 400ASA film is really the overall winner for pushing or pulling, and seems to stay good for a couple of decades at least 😉

I bet the scratch is from the cassette, I wouldn't sweat it 😉

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2024, 02:49:53 PM »
Pretty much what I was thinking.
It was old grocery store brand film after all. But I figured that if President's Choice brand film was good enough for the President, it should be good enough for me 🤣

But yeah, I kinda regret not pushing it by 1 stop to try and compensate for the additional speed loss. But while it was a pain to cut and scan, I'm still happy as I had lots of fun that night.

I'm really glad you liked it. I really wasn't expecting any of the results I got. I really need to find a proper mount for that potato masher flash I have in a drawer for next year 😁 (lets just say that at a maximum aperture of f/10.something, the lens on that camera isn't the fastest)

Can I ask you something?
How the heck did you land an exhibition in Italy?
I'm really curious
« Last Edit: August 27, 2024, 03:00:37 PM by Francois »
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2024, 06:25:38 PM »
Can I ask you something?
How the heck did you land an exhibition in Italy?
I'm really curious

I'll answer that in my Italy 2024 thread 😉

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2024, 08:43:27 PM »
Cool
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2024, 03:29:29 AM »
Great stuff this weekend.  I shot a roll of Tri-X at the beach this weekend with a Leica IIIc.  After developing it the light leaks were amazingly bad.  Not sure how that much light got into a Leica, hopefully I can salvage a shot or two for next weekend.  Shipping the camera off for a CLA. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2024, 03:51:15 PM »
Light leaks always suck.
But I'm surprised that there were that many in a Leica as the design of the body is quite light tight. The only place where light can get in the film chamber is through holes in the shutter. Hence the "never point a Leica at the sun" warning.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2024, 05:33:16 PM »
Light leaks always suck.
But I'm surprised that there were that many in a Leica as the design of the body is quite light tight. The only place where light can get in the film chamber is through holes in the shutter. Hence the "never point a Leica at the sun" warning.
There are some baffles on either side of the shutter opening that can leak if they aren't installed properly or somehow get dislodged.  The nature of the leaks look like this may have been the case.  The shutter looks old but doesn't show any signs of leaks.  Hopefully they will let me know if they find anything when they give it the CLA. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2024, 09:37:56 PM »
It's only when you take them apart that you can find out what's happening.
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2024, 09:40:58 PM »
Light leaks always suck.

😲😲😲

(totally disagree btw 😁)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2024, 10:09:04 PM »
Light leaks always suck.

😲😲😲

(totally disagree btw 😁)
Had I known that I would have sold you a "perfect" Leica IIIc before I sent it in for a CLA. 

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2024, 11:05:57 PM »
Light leaks always suck.

😲😲😲

(totally disagree btw 😁)
Had I known that I would have sold you a "perfect" Leica IIIc before I sent it in for a CLA.

I would have bought it! 🤣 And treasured the light leaks 😂

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2024, 04:03:17 PM »
I must admit that a good well placed light leak can be quite charming.
Francois

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2024, 06:56:37 PM »
Light leaks always suck.

😲😲😲

(totally disagree btw 😁)

Seconded...and thanks for pointing out how Fracois was (in this very rare instance) completely wrong.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2024, 06:58:51 PM »
This thread was a fun read. The photos were really interesting (I could EAT those glorious colours, Satish!!!!) and I'm very excited to go and read the Italy photo essay. I need to do one about my recent Finland visit.

Francois: great work with the Sprocket Rocket and mobile recording studio-style external flash unit. I would LOVE to have seen you in action. Did you stand out from the crowd?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2024, 08:11:22 PM »
Francois: great work with the Sprocket Rocket and mobile recording studio-style external flash unit. I would LOVE to have seen you in action. Did you stand out from the crowd?
I think I really did as I was the only one taking photos with what looked like a camera... I also was wearing one of my loudly patterned shirts. Also I found that somebody had brought a pretty big stepladder for shooting video, so I was sitting on top of it on the same side as the shop's team for a few of the shots.
I was having a blast working the scene. Got photos of the competitors in groups, a lot of failed tricks (the rubber 8-ball was topping-out at about 3 feet) and the landings were pretty brutal for some.

I did get a few people pictures, but considering the stupid Quebec image laws, I don't quite know what to make with them...

This is one thing I discovered with a lot of plastic cameras: having an automatic flash really takes care of the exposure when the camera can't 😁(hint hint)

I'm glad you enjoyed.
I also have some made with the phone when I ran out of film... but none of them are even half as good looking as those.
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2024, 07:02:35 AM »
I also have some made with the phone when I ran out of film... but none of them are even half as good looking as those.

Despite what the kids and their damn filters say, this is always the truth 🙏🏽

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2024, 03:18:20 PM »
Definitely.
I always find it funny that the crappiest cameras with the lowest tech components so often produce the nicest results.
Francois