Author Topic: Samoa  (Read 159 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Samoa
« on: April 10, 2024, 08:21:11 PM »
I just got back from another trip to American Samoa, my 3rd trip in less than a year and my 5th trip since 1994.  This time I dragged my wife along so she could enjoy some warm weather and get to see what I've been ranting about all these years.  The work I had to do there was less than a week so we took the opportunity to make a vacation out of it. 

Samoa consists of American Samoa, a US territory, and the independent state of Samoa, or just Samoa.  Samoa consists of two large islands, Upolu and Savai'i, and several smaller islands.  The international date line runs between Samoa and American Samoa.  This is because Samoa mostly trades with New Zealand and American Samoa mostly trades with the U.S.  Samoa is also well know for being the final home and resting place of Robert Louis Stevenson. 

My wife and I took the 30 minute flight from American Samoa on a Monday and landed in Apia 30 minutes later on Tuesday.  We only had a few days there so I was busy wasting film as much as possible.  These first photos were shot on the new Harman Phoenix 200 with my Contax T.  I'll have some black and white photos later.  I brought 3 cameras, the Contax T, Kodak Retina IIIc and a View-Master camera. 

Just like in American Samoa, they build their own buses.  I have never been able to figure out how the busses operate, they don't have schedules or routes.  As far as I can tell you just have to know which one to get on. 
Apia Bus Station by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Just like American Samoa, they are very religious, there are churches in every village. 
Immaculate Conception Cathedral by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Abandoned home in Apia.  One thing that struck me was most homes there are open air.  This is what I remember from American Samoa when I first visited there in 1994.  The second time I went there in 2014 I noticed that most homes were newer and had air conditioning.  There is a lot more money going into American Samoa which I have heard is attributed to their largest export, NFL players, sending money home. 
House and Palm by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: Samoa
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 08:24:29 PM »
Sunrise on Taumeasina Island, Apia, Samoa.
Sunrise in Apia by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Wedding Venue at the resort we stayed at on Taumeasina Island. 
Vasa Wedding Venue by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2024, 03:18:05 AM »
These next 5 were shot with a Retina IIIc with a Schneider - Kreuznach Retina - Xenon C f/2.0 50mm lens.  The film is Adox HR-50 developed in Beer.

This is the Aggie Grey's hotel, the oldest hotel in Samoa.  When my uncle heard that I was in Samoa it brought back a lot of memories for him.  He used to stay at this hotel a lot when he was working in the South Pacific.  I think that was mostly in the 1970's. 
Aggie Grey's by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

The FU YO YU No.8 is a tuna long liner that broke from its moorings during a storm in January and became beached here in Apia.  The Samoan government is trying to get the owners to remove it.  Here's an article about it.  https://samoanewshub.com/2024/01/24/tuna-long-liner-owners-to-bear-costs-for-harbour-mishap/
Fu Yo Yu No.8 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

These Fale's are all over the Samoan islands.  Some are concrete and some are very basic like this one.  The villages usually have them next to the water and use them as a gathering place.
Fale by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 03:19:48 AM by Bryan »

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2024, 03:18:46 AM »
This palm has must have started to fall off the cliff then kept growing. 
Leaning Palm by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Another fale on Taumeasina Island in Apia. 
Fale on Taumeasina Island by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr