Author Topic: Need info on an old enlarger  (Read 6207 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Need info on an old enlarger
« on: November 07, 2006, 03:29:29 PM »
Hi!
I have received this enlarger from a cousin a few years ago and just found some time to put it together (it needed a baseboard which I recently built and a pole which was missing... I found a a roller from an old conveyor belt system that fit just right!). Only problem is that I don't have the instruction book that comes with it. I don't know if there are any accessories other than the ones I received that fit on it. So, here's what I could figure out. Maybe someone knows a bit more.

The enlarger is a Japanese manufactured Pixur.
It uses condensers (one huge one fixed, 3 removable)
Has negative holders for 35mm, 6x6 and 4"x5"
Filter holder is 5"x7" with a blue glass heat shield in it.
Weight: a ton ;)
Single pole with double wishbone spring balanced height adjustment (no autofocus even if it looks like a Leitz)
Was imported by Garlick Films Ltd. in Toronto
Takes a 150watt (110 volt) bulb (but came with a big PH213 in it...) (what does the bulb height adjustment do?)

Hope someone else knows something about it. (it is the one on the right... on the left is my "other" enlarger, a Durst C35)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: Need info on an old enlarger
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 03:58:30 PM »
that is exactly the 4x5 I used to have .... only mine had a makers name of Astron ... other than that , exactly the same.  I never got mine going, not that I tried.  I only got as far as wall mounting it (attaching any enlarger to a baseboard is just asking ofr vibration trouble if you ask me),  Mine came with several extra condensers for use with different formats.

I dumped mine recently when I got my devere.

I cant really tell you anything about it, I'm just suprised that I've seen another one!
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 07:04:32 PM »
I know that when I got it, it also came of a surprise! It was all in a very old dusty cardboard box (with traces of water leaks on it... yuck!). When I learned it was an enlarger, I instantly thought Beseler (hair dryer type). Only when I unpacked it... Surprise! it's a make I had never heard of. Try to find 5x7 contrast filters... can't find any. Try to find the column... none in the box. And the weight! Unbelievable... especially since I already had a Durst C35 color diffusion enlarger (which is made of Styrofoam inside) and weights next to nothing. Started looking at the unbelievably large condensers (boy are they big!). The baseboard was also missing. So, I let it sit in the box for many years. I was a bit tired of always having to move everything around without breaking anything, so I decided to find the missing parts and put it in my former darkroom. I made the baseboard extra solid (thick plywood laminate) with leftover white formica on top and soft rubber "legs" on the bottom to dampen the vibrations.

I know columns are not the best when it comes to vibrations. But since I have a concrete floor in the basement, I can stomp as much as I want without affecting it much :)
Francois

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 08:50:22 PM »
I know columns are not the best when it comes to vibrations. But since I have a concrete floor in the basement, I can stomp as much as I want without affecting it much :)
  it's not just your feet you've got to look out for - and slight knock, tremble, bump, or breath on a heavy enlarger suspended on a freely swinging (well almost) pole like that will reduce sharpness terribly.  Why not find some way of securing the top onto the wall?  it makes all the difference.

re the filter drawer ... (I could never work out if that was what it was, or whether it was a 5x7 neg holder ...?) why dont you try to cut some sheet steel to 5 x 7 then cut an aperture in the middle at the filter size, then just drop the filter into that.  If you havent already got a copy, try finding The Edge of Darkness by Barry Thronton, he writes a whole chapter on how, by creating an aperture underneath the light source, you can improve sharpness in your prints - the smaller the aperture, the sharper the effect (and I mean perceived sharpness, not resolution) = although this can be taken too far.  But the hole you cut for your filters could add to this effect ....?  interesting to try anyway.
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 10:22:25 PM »
I know fixing it to the wall would be better... but I somehow am afraid that every vibration that goes through the house will be seen in the picture... I'm going to have to find some way of stabilising the top of the mast. I'm lucky since, on the part I used, there is a threaded hole for fitting a lag bolt. It will make things easier for me.

As for masking the carrier... I never thought of it. The effect must be like using a point source enlarger... They produce extra sharp prints... and extra sharp dust :)
Francois

db

• Peel Apart
    • portfolio
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 04:49:36 AM »

re the filter drawer ... (I could never work out if that was what it was, or whether it was a 5x7 neg holder ...?) why dont you try to cut some sheet steel to 5 x 7 then cut an aperture in the middle at the filter size, then just drop the filter into that. 

Dragging up an old topic here, and you may have sorted your problem already, but was in the same situation myself last week. Building an enlarger light source, I realized that I would need large filters. It turns out Ilford do make a multigrade set 15x15cm (about 6'), so I cut the slot and made a filter drawer to suit. I'd say a pro camera shop would special order them for you.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 04:36:45 PM »
Leon, I was looking at the negative carriers yesterday and I'd like to know something: did the 4x5 holder have glass? Mine has no glass but I can clearly see 4 rivet holes that look strange...

As for large size filters, I found somewhere (APUG I think) the compatibility for using large sheets of Rosco film
One of the magazines published a list of Rosco filters and the grades they were equal to.
Rosco Calcolor 15Y, 30Y, 60Y, 90Y, 15M, 30M, 60M, and 90M
From September/October 2005 issue of Photo Techniques
I don't exactly know the grades, the forum didn't say.
Since I don't have the magazine... I can't check it for myself...
Francois

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 11:53:36 AM »
both the larger and smaller holders had glass
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 03:13:00 PM »
Mine are all glassless... the 35mm, the 6x6 and the 4x5 (which looks suspicious... if there ever was glass on it, it was only on top when I look at the rivet holes)
Lets just say there are fewer surfaces to clean ;) ;) ;)

As for the 4x5, if I ever use it, I'll probably end up using electrician's tape to hold the negative down.
(boy are those condensers big... I never thought 4x5 condensers were ever made)
Francois