Author Topic: Kodak Polyprint RC  (Read 2836 times)

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Kodak Polyprint RC
« on: January 01, 2008, 04:22:56 PM »
I have had a late Crimbo pressi in a 100ft x 4ft roll of the above paper in an unopened box. I am told it has been stored correctly but I realise it may have some fogging. I'll take a chance and try it out.
What I want to know is; is this a multigrade type paper? And anything I need to know. Please.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: Kodak Polyprint RC
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 09:29:09 AM »
sorry Andrea - cant help you there.  I've never used Kodak darkroom papers.  I'm suprised noone else has though ... did you try over at Apug?
L.

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 11:30:45 AM »
sorry Andrea - cant help you there.  I've never used Kodak darkroom papers.  I'm suprised noone else has though ... did you try over at Apug?
Nope. Would expect to have a tirade about fogging and associated chemicals!!!
Might pluck up courage though.
Have a great one in 2008.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 02:57:30 PM »
To the best of my knowledge, Polyprint was a VC paper - though I personally never used it.

A Google search turned up this reference which contains a smidging of information that might be useful:

There was also uncertainty about whether the paper should have the developing agent incorporated into it. In the 1980s, many RC papers did; the purpose was to facilitate machine processing, and to eliminate one cause of "poor blacks," namely incomplete developing.

But then it was shown that a print need not have maximum development in order to have good blacks. Kodak introduced a paper, Polyprint (later Polymax), that allowed the user to vary the development to control overall density. I adopted it enthusiastically.

Meanwhile, Ilford was pioneering ways to make fixing and washing go faster. Kodak's paper has a relatively hard emulsion that requires 1 minute to fix and 4 minutes to wash.

No information about development though...

This was from http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/michael/blog/0506/index.html

There was someone on APUG a while ago trying to use it. The post is at http://www.apug.org/forums/306181-post1.html

And another poster claims to have used it at http://www.apug.org/forums/380752-post16.html

Maybe it's worth an email to the OPs above to see what they did.

If you hadn't already found the above yourself, then I hope they help a little.

"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 04:44:10 PM »
Thanks Mono P. I did see that one about varying development but it passed over my head. Thanks again though