Author Topic: Farrania film returns to production  (Read 1385 times)

Erik

• 35mm
Farrania film returns to production
« on: August 09, 2013, 04:23:45 AM »
Never heard of it, but boy the sample photo is stunning...
http://www.japancamerahunter.com/2013/08/film-news-ferrania-is-back-exclusive-interview/

Flippy

• Sheet Film
Re: Farrania film returns to production
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 08:35:22 AM »
Any new slide film is good news.

Also 126 and 127 possibly? YES PLS

benjiboy

• 35mm
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 12:44:35 PM »
I tried it 20 odd years ago when they produced it previously, it was almost as bad as the East German ORWO and not in the same league as the current Fuji Professional range of films.
Ben

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 01:22:51 PM »

In current days, I've been cheering up even if it's crap, just the fact the someone it's putting something light sensitive out available to be sold I'm happy :)
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 01:33:12 PM »
I tried it 20 odd years ago when they produced it previously, it was almost as bad as the East German ORWO and not in the same league as the current Fuji Professional range of films.

Fuji slide film costs $14 a roll out here. I miss the days of $7 ektachrome and would be happy to see anything cheaper simply exist.

I can order Agfa Precisa online, but I'd rather support local shops - hopefully somebody will bring whatever new films Ferrania makes over to the U.S.

I also remember using their C41 films back when it was the only thing left in 126 - I'd buy it again.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 01:35:05 PM »
I can see where Ben's coming from. When I use slide film, I'm looking for as close to real life colours and low / no grain as I can get (other than Velvia which I love for landscapes).  I was never a far of ORWO or, for that matter, Perutz.

However, the world's moved on. Polaroid has gone and TiP has arrived. Kodachrome and its unique process has gone (as has a lot of what remained of E6) and now Ferrania has picked up the baton.

Maybe their "new" film won't be universally popular but it's a brave move and I really hope that Ferrania has great success. 
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 09:16:36 PM »
One thing I noticed:
For a long time, film manufacturers tried to outdo themselves producing emulsions with ever finer grain and better colors. Then came the CCD chip. When chips got good enough to do an 8x10 print with decent color, there was no point in having film that would produce roughly the same thing. At that point, photographers who wanted to keep using film began to move away from the usual fine grain saturated colors we were used to. The only places to go were cheap film with a ton of defects, X-pro and redscale. And for some reason, it also happens that these characteristics are available on the cheapest stuff we can put our hands on.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 02:57:29 AM »
Link won't load on my computer. This news was posted on APUG a couple of weeks ago but it sounded like they were just considering restarting production. They are not close to having actual products on the market yet.

Mind the Mix

• My heart with film, my brain with digital
    • Shooting and learning
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 03:11:20 AM »
I have my Pentax 67II ready to shot this new (for me) film. I hope the best for your guys.
My heart with film, my brain with digital

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 02:41:34 PM »

LEAFotography

• Peel Apart
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 06:15:19 PM »
800/3200 ISO, ACE!

I'll definitely try it, if/when they start production...