Author Topic: Foma Vs. Arista Paper  (Read 89 times)

Flippy

• Sheet Film
Foma Vs. Arista Paper
« on: April 13, 2024, 11:17:41 PM »
I thought I would post this. I've used Foma papers exclusively since I started printing again. I recently bought a box of Arista paper, which is made by Foma, and said by many online to simply be rebranded Foma products.

However, this does not seem to be the case. Having switched over from a box of Foma VC FB paper to the box of Arista VC FB paper mid way through a print session, I noticed that paper of the Arista brand feels different. The Arista paper feels "flimsier" but also dries slightly flatter. So I presumed the paper base might be to a different specification for Arista, but surely the emulsion is the same. But here too I've noticed a difference. Although the papers expose and develop the same (both giving a slight warm tone in Ilford multigrade developer) the Arista paper requires gentler handling with tongs, it is much easier to damage the coating than it is with the Foma branded paper. This was unexpected. Both papers have the same finish, and both ferrotype the same.

So while Foma makes the Arista EDU papers, their "equivalent" products don't appear to be the same, that is, it's not simply the same product sold in two different boxes. The Arista branded papers appear from my experience to be different. Thought I'd share because I've seen the question asked before and the commonly shared knowledge was that both were the exact same thing. Given the prices are almost the same, I'd be inclined to stick to the Foma brand, all things considered.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 11:19:20 PM by Flippy »

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Foma Vs. Arista Paper
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2024, 01:58:47 PM »
This would make sense since Arista is a budget brand aimed at the schools.
It's probably single weight paper while the Foma is double weight.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.