Author Topic: Why does my color developer keep dying? 😭  (Read 175 times)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Why does my color developer keep dying? 😭
« on: April 01, 2024, 07:25:09 PM »
I use the Unicolor powder kit, mostly because it's cheap but also because it's easier/smaller to store, and I assume it keeps longer than liquid concentrate.

Here are the things I do to ensure that the dev stays as fresh as possible:
1. Keep it in an air-evac container so that there is very little surface area exposed to air.
2. This container is solid black, so it keeps out light.
3. I store it in my kitchen cabinet, which is also dark and is only opened to take out chemicals (B&W as well as color).
4. I keep all hardware for dev & fixer separate (flasks, funnels, mixing rods, etc). I even keep those hardware items physically separated by a few feet at all times.
5. The only items which sees both dev & fixer is the developing tank, and I wash that religiously after every dev cycle. A forumite was present one time that I developed and said that he doesn't even wash his dishes that thoroughly 😂

Despite this, my dev always dies within about a month, no matter how little I use it (these days, it's once every 3 months or so, so I literally get one dev cycle out of each batch).

My next step is to keep the dev in the fridge to see if it's the temperature that is killing it.

Any other suggestions? 😢 At this rate, it would be more economical of me to get my color film lab developed 😢

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Why does my color developer keep dying? 😭
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 11:02:11 PM »
Those air-evac bottles are just the most horrible thing for chemicals.
I had them and hated them all. Even if the manufacturer claims that they help keep the chemistry good for longer, it's just not true.

A few years ago I got fed-up with my developer turning black without being used, so I switched to glass bottles.
I use the IKEA Korken bottles and they have saved me plenty of money and aggravation since I got them. The thing is, plastic lets gases flow through if given enough time. Glass is completely impervious to that. The IKEA bottles come with a very nice silicone stopper and cost only 4$. If you keep them in a dark cupboard, you don't need dark plastic.

As a test, I have some PQ Universal in one of them and it's still light apple juice colored after 2 or 3 years... Normally it's the color of Coca Cola after just two months.
I just spray some air in a can in them until the sound of the rushing gas changes and promptly seal them.
I also wipe the rim of the bottle with a bit of paper towel just in case it affects the stopper.

I have some 3 year old C41 in one of them. I'm going to have to try it out this year... wish me luck!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 03:26:57 AM »
Those air-evac bottles are just the most horrible thing for chemicals.
I had them and hated them all. Even if the manufacturer claims that they help keep the chemistry good for longer, it's just not true.

IS THIS TRUE??? 😲😲 I've been living a lie?? 🤦🏾‍♂️ Ok, glass it is then 😕

I've never bothered spraying in butane or anything, but maybe I should start doing that.

Phil Snaps

• 35mm
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2024, 10:52:21 AM »
PET bottles seem to be really good. I use soda or carbonated water bottles that I fill to the brim. They have many benefits: they are cheap/free, don't break, they come in many sizes, and are flexible: when some chemical is inevitably lost you can squeeze them to chase the remaining air, so you can avoid using canned air.
Just make sure you label them appropriately. I remove the label, then write the chemical name in big letters and draw skulls and crossbones :D
Someone on Reddit tested some year-old C-41 with test strips and a densitometer and found it was still fine in PET bottles after a year or so.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 03:31:27 PM »
IS THIS TRUE??? 😲😲 I've been living a lie?? 🤦🏾‍♂️ Ok, glass it is then 😕
Sadly it is... I must admit that I have been swindled by them too.
Worst part is that the phenomenon has been known since the 1960's...

If you google plastic oxygen permeability -film, you will get plenty of results that explain the cause and effect.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2024, 04:52:34 PM »
A long time ago, when Paterson still made chemicals, one of the Paterson guys told me about the plastic bottles and I switched to glass. Never had a problem since.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."