Author Topic: Lomomatic 110... surprisingly un-toylike 110 camera.  (Read 360 times)

Flippy

• Sheet Film
Lomomatic 110... surprisingly un-toylike 110 camera.
« on: March 07, 2024, 08:47:59 AM »
So Lomography has introduced a new 110 camera. What's the gimmick this time? I guess the gimmick is there is no gimmick. It's simply an honest-to-goodness 110 camera, the likes of which haven't been produced in two or three decades. Glass lens, zone focus, aperture priority auto exposure. Actually pretty surprising to see. Weirdly, it all makes sense: Lomography are the sole purveyors of 110 these days and have been peddling toy 110 cameras for over a decade, this is an obvious bid to expand the 110 market to those looking for something a little more serious than a toy camera. I myself have a Pentax Auto 110, so it's not of great interest to me, but I could see people who don't like chancing it on a moldy old camera being interested in something like this.

Watched a couple video reviews and the results look good for 110.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Iocoj9lWjU

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Lomomatic 110... surprisingly un-toylike 110 camera.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2024, 02:09:09 PM »
I watched the video by Ben of Brooklyn Film Camera and I must admit that I was quite puzzled by this thing.
Surprised to see a new 110 hit the market, impressed by the small flash and the electronic metering and zone focus.
But 110???
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 07:13:42 PM »
I'm puzzled as well about 110 format.
Do the powers that be know something we dont?
Probably.

So no one is going to make a nice 35mm camera as a "NEW" camera.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2024, 08:41:27 PM »
I suppose there are people that will go down this rabbithole out of nostalgia or the urge for something new. I'm totally cured of this trend after trying many of these formats, be it 110, 16mm, half frame or 24x24mm. It's when you try to scan these formats that the trouble starts.
The only small format (24x36mm) new film camera available today is made by Leica, which means that you have to be rather well off or one of the Hollywood crowd that gets them for free. I'm glad I stocked up on film cameras when the prices hit rock bottom, now some of those are sold for ridiculous prices. But there are still some bargains to be had, here you can get some very nice M42 cameras on the cheap.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2024, 09:08:42 PM »
I must admit that scanning small formats is a bit of a pain.
I've scanned some Minox on the Epson and lets just say that the results were more than underwhelming.
If I had just bought that Minox enlarger the time I saw one...
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2024, 03:48:56 AM »
I won’t be buying this camera.  I have a few rolls of 110 in the freezer and a Minolta 110 Zoom to shoot it with.  If I ever get through the film I have I will probably be done with 110.  I’d rather go to bigger negatives, not smaller.  It does look like a well made camera though. 

Minolta 110 Zoom SLR by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2024, 04:35:42 AM »
I think the reasoning behind it is probably pretty obvious to the Lomography people, they are the world's only packagers of 110 film, so obviously putting out more 110 cameras would only serve to boost their sales. They already have toy 110 cameras covered, so now they needed something a little more "serious". Also the new crop of film kids seems really obsessed with pocketability when it comes to cameras, and the flat form factor of a 110 camera might be attractive to this market segment.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2024, 12:23:26 AM »
I still have nightmares whenever I think of 110, I grew up shooting it in a number of nasty (as in 'nasty bad', not 'nasty good') cameras and almost without exception the results were a huge disappointment. Sure, I had a lot to learn and could have done better, but I also blame the format  ;D ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2024, 01:18:43 PM »
I wonder how many family pictures were ever taken in that format?
It seems like just about every family in the region had a 110 camera for documenting anniversaries and birthday parties...
Francois