Author Topic: Wet Scanning with the V750 ?  (Read 6317 times)

Greg Bartley

• sheet film !
    • my day job.
Wet Scanning with the V750 ?
« on: February 03, 2013, 03:59:10 PM »
Hello People,

Does anyone have any experience scanning 8x10 neg/pos with an Epson V750 Pro ?

I am particularly interested in wet scanning and the useless Epson scanning tray as you might know does not take 8x10.
I am UK based so overseas suppliers , especially the states will only do sea mail for fluid.
many thanks

Happy snapping !

Greg
Greg Bartley

greg@gregbartley.com

Doug Fisher

• 35mm
Re: Wet Scanning with the V750 ?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 05:24:17 PM »
I have some customers who have tried sealing the bed and fluid mounting directly to the glass bed.  It is less than ideal and really going to mess up your scanner if it leaks.  Also, I am not sure how well the plastic shell of the scanner is going to react to the fluid because many people have found that the Epson fluid mounting tray cracks over time due to exposure to mounting fluid.

Kami has a UK distributor if I remember correctly.  You might want to take a look at my page for assembling fluid mounting supplies relatively cheaply.  There should be a link to the Kami distributor list: http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/cheapfluidmounting.html

Doug

Greg Bartley

• sheet film !
    • my day job.
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 06:55:53 PM »
Hi Doug ,

many thanks for the reply,

yes a wise man in California suggested the bath option, it should be fine as the actual scanner bed is glass , it just has to be a rather good seal !

Are your customers UK based , did it work for them do they still have a scanner or an anchor ?

Thanks for the link too

cheers Greg
Greg Bartley

greg@gregbartley.com

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 08:57:34 AM »
I use a V750 but I have never even considered using the wet process for my 35mm or 6x6 negs as I heard that it is extremely messy and, more worryingly, that the liquid required is flammable.

Consequently, as electrical devices and uncontained flammable fluids do not make good bed-fellows, I won't be partaking in the experiment.

I hope you find what you want but I'd also suggest having a fire blanket / extinguisher to-hand as well.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 04:57:33 PM »
I don't think that being flammable is much of an issue with scanners. To ignite, you need a spark (which scanners don't normally produce) or that the product reaches its flashpoint (not a problem unless your scanner is smoking hot). Also depending on the contents, you need either to reach the proper stoichiometric point or have something so flammable that it shouldn't be handled by anyone!

Personally, I'd be more worried about the liquid finding its way into the optics box or melting the plastic than fire.

But that's just my 2¢ worth.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 10:35:29 AM »
I scan all my 5x4's on a V700 using Doug's Betterscanning holder and am very happy with the results. I personally think you'd be on a sticky wicket trying to wet mount a 10x8 with a V750. On the odd occasion that I've wanted an 'exhibition quality' scan I've used Tim Parkin at http://cheapdrumscanning.com/

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

DonkeyDave

• Sheet Film
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 12:05:42 PM »
I'd second using Tim for drum scanning. The reality is you are going to need to be making a really big print to notice the difference - and that's not something many do regularly. The last case for me was a 6x17cm image that I printed at 100 inches across.

I'd stick with dry V750 scanning, and then fork out for your 10 best images to be drummed.

If you are tempted then  http://www.haynes-graphic-arts.co.uk/kami.html
these guys do a kit for the V750

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 04:40:44 PM »
I don't think that being flammable is much of an issue with scanners. To ignite, you need a spark (which scanners don't normally produce) or that the product reaches its flashpoint (not a problem unless your scanner is smoking hot). Also depending on the contents, you need either to reach the proper stoichiometric point or have something so flammable that it shouldn't be handled by anyone!

Personally, I'd be more worried about the liquid finding its way into the optics box or melting the plastic than fire.

But that's just my 2¢ worth.

Maybe Francois - but I don't know what the flash point of the liquid is and I wouldn't want to put it to the test  :o
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".