Author Topic: Polaroid TLR - old news?  (Read 11578 times)

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
Re: Polaroid TLR - old news?
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2013, 08:16:07 PM »
Strange, mine needed no calibration at all, I did however keep the shims that were in place on the original lens board. One rather thick for the taking lens, and two very thin for the viewing lens. My biggest issue is really the standard. It is just not sturdy enough. OK, the setup focuses past infinity, so may not be too much of an issue, but when drawing the standard all the way in the pressure from the bellows will push the top of the standard outwards. Another issue, maybe not initially, but eventually, is that I foresee the gears getting stripped. In order to keep the standard upright(isn, as I mentioned it will not if put under pressure) the sliders need to be a tight fit. The resulting friction puts strain on the nylon gears.

Managed to solder up the PC-flash connector too, I do like Polaroid flash photography (for some reason)

I´ve in fact just finished it, at least to a point where it will take pictures. But I´ll wait taking pictures of it (and with it) when the sun rises in the morn. Now: Beddy byes.

I emailed him about the bellows and he said that for his he sat on teh bellows for a couple days to make them super flat. Mine was already together so too late.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2013, 08:36:07 PM »
Indeed, my 6x17 has experienced a bit or warp. But with a maximum aperture of f8 the film plane in focus depth is not too susceptible to slight changes.

However the DUO with a f3.5 lens might very well be. We will see. The body itself is very, very rigid. The standard less so. I think I might add some metal bracing to the standard for good measure.

Anyhow, this is what it looks like with Polaroid back.

My Duo x 7 by Eirik0304, on Flickr

I remember mentioning it might end up cherry red and black. That was before I unpacked the kit and found I had ordered signal red bellows material, not pewter as I thought I had. Anyhow, the colour is signal red (and black)
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2013, 10:24:08 PM »

I emailed him about the bellows and he said that for his he sat on teh bellows for a couple days to make them super flat. Mine was already together so too late.

I would have liked to have known that too. Mine were flat, I had them under a tonne of books for maybe 12 hours. But they were not "super" flat. You do get the opposite problem when doing close-ups, the bellows hold the top back, making it lean the opposite direction. You can´t really have it both ways. And I was right, it focuses past infinity (at least mine does with the regular black lenses), so the standard leaning forwards is not much of a problem, I need not retract it far enough to put strain on it (but only just)
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2015, 12:47:47 PM »
tip for anyone interested in this, might be a few avaliable soon: https://www.flickr.com/photos/frostedbutts/23752596222/
/jonas