Author Topic: Weekend-O-Rama, 23-25 Aug  (Read 2686 times)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Weekend-O-Rama, 23-25 Aug
« on: August 23, 2019, 01:38:15 PM »
Because why the hell not?

Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
Re: Weekend-O-Rama, 23-25 Aug
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 03:17:15 PM »
Happy weekend all!

Last week my dad gave me his K-1000 so for its first mission I taped a faceted plastic lens in front of the 50mm and took a few pics of performers. Fun.  :-)

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 03:26:14 PM »
Very nice start! Love the kaleidoscope shots and the antlers.

This is from last Saturday. I decided to go out for a walk and had a roll of Provia loaded on the Nikon N90s.

Spruce
by Miguel Campano, on Flickr

Shadow
by Miguel Campano, on Flickr
Instagram: @_shaken.not.stirred

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 03:31:40 PM »
Those are nice Jeff, I have a filter that does something similar, haven’t used it yet.  These are from the Oregon Coast, Minolta srTsc II using a Tamaron Adaptall2 24mm f/2.5 lens with a dark red filter.  Shot on Kodak HIE Infrared film that expired 12/2008.  Developed in Rodinal 1:50.

Yaquina Head Lighthouse by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Cape Perpetua by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Heceta Head Light Keeper’s Home by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 03:44:50 PM »
On Monday, I went for a walk in the Lake District and bought a Rollei 35B in a charity shop in Keswick. On Tuesday I took that camera into Newcastle loaded with a roll of Lomography Lady Grey that I'd picked up at 66p per roll. Saw a photo exhibition called "Work and Workers" at the Side Gallery and took these shots:

Quayside door
by Kevin Allan, on Flickr

Underneath the Tyne Bridge
by Kevin Allan, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 05:35:51 PM by KevinAllan »

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 06:47:30 PM »
Congrats on the Rollei Kevin, it looks like a very good combination of camera and film. I like it!

Exakta Varex IIa / Zeiss Biotar 58mm f2.0 / Fomapan 100 in Xtol
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 08:55:22 PM »
Jeff: I kinda like how you blinged-out the Pentax  ;D

Here are a few leftovers I found on my drive.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

grit

• Silver and Platinum (my YouTube channel)
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 04:58:22 AM »
Iron Hearts, 1 year. Intrepid 4x5 on Acros.

Blaxton

• Sheet Film
    • Flickr
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 02:40:51 PM »
We passed through Dublin on our way back to the US last week.  Wandering around with a little Rollei 35, I finished three rolls of Fomapan over three days.  I found the light a bit of a challenge but I loved the overall vibe of the city—at least the parts of the city away from Temple Bar—but even there, in the heart of the tourist trail, I found a haven in the excellent Gallery of Photography of Ireland:  https://www.galleryofphotography.ie 

Here are three in and around the gallery:

Dublin by William Blackstone, on Flickr

DUBkin by William Blackstone, on Flickr

Dublin by William Blackstone, on Flickr 
https://www.flickr.com/photos/willblax/

There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method. -- Herman Melville

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 07:06:50 PM »
I've been experimenting a bit with my Holga WPC pinhole camera. The latest round of experiments is handheld (or at least non-tripod) streetshots. I always try to anchor the camera on a fire hydrant, street sign, or something, but that has generally been a miserable failure :D I want to try again with a cable release to see if that helps a bit, and then maybe try to use my little mini tripod. The goal is to avoid bringing a huge tripod around with me :)

These are on Ilford HP5+ in broad daylight, so we're only really talking 2 second exposures, but apparently that's enough for my hands to shake like a James Bond martini :D

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 07:31:15 PM »
Shaken, not stirred........ or was it the other way around?  :)  A monopod might be helpful, some of them are very compact and light. I've got one from Nikon that was a bonus when I bought a Nikon F65 once upon a time. It's got a hand strap and you could probably hook it onto your belt for convenience. A cable release is a good idea as well.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2019, 09:00:33 PM »
I've been experimenting a bit with my Holga WPC pinhole camera. The latest round of experiments is handheld (or at least non-tripod) streetshots. I always try to anchor the camera on a fire hydrant, street sign, or something, but that has generally been a miserable failure :D I want to try again with a cable release to see if that helps a bit, and then maybe try to use my little mini tripod. The goal is to avoid bringing a huge tripod around with me :)
These are on Ilford HP5+ in broad daylight, so we're only really talking 2 second exposures, but apparently that's enough for my hands to shake like a James Bond martini :D
Have you tried using a hand made string-pod?
Francois

Matt Lethbridge LRPS

• 35mm
    • No Lens Landscapes
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2019, 11:41:34 PM »
Some great pictures here.
I had a little jaunt around the Peak District this morning with my Zero Image 2000 pinhole camera and this little lone tree caught my eye. Shot on Ilford Pan F.
Have a great weekend all.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2019, 11:55:44 PM »
Have you tried using a hand made string-pod?

That's like a neck strap and you pull it taut to prevent movement?

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2019, 02:38:35 AM »
Yay the weekend!
a Holga right outta the box shot on some ultrafine 400 dunked in caffenol.
it's a horse of course....

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2019, 12:34:12 PM »
Great shots all round. Mine are from my Cuba trip earlier in the year
Nikonos IV and Portra 400

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2019, 03:10:34 PM »
Have you tried using a hand made string-pod? thanks

It's actually a string tied to the tripod mount. You put your foot through a loop at the end and pull straight up to prevent vertical motion.
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2019, 04:32:39 PM »
Have you tried using a hand made string-pod? thanks

It's actually a string tied to the tripod mount. You put your foot through a loop at the end and pull straight up to prevent vertical motion.
hmmm, so this stringpod PLUS a neckstrap should allow me to stabalize it in 2 planes (X & Z). Would still need to work on the Y (side-to-side) motion...

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2019, 09:12:50 PM »
Better be careful with all those straps around your neck........  :o
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2019, 09:21:40 PM »
hmmm, so this stringpod PLUS a neckstrap should allow me to stabalize it in 2 planes (X & Z). Would still need to work on the Y (side-to-side) motion...
You could make the string longer with a big loop for both feet and tie it well to an eyelet in the tripod mount. That wouldn't move left to right or up and down. And since you're pulling, there wouldn't be much tilt movement as the string pulls from under the camera.
check this out
https://www.instructables.com/id/String-Tripod/
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2019, 02:27:10 AM »
Better be careful with all those straps around your neck........  :o

I'm more worried about all that string dragging along behind my camera as I carry it around ;D

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2019, 09:28:42 AM »
Nice set, guys. I'm really drawn to grit's jeans photos and Kevin Allan's shot of under the Tyne Bridge - a location I know very well.

Mine are from the FW / Sunny 16 Podcast walkabout a short while ago. Taken on my Rolleiflex 2.8GX and Ilford HP5+

"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2019, 11:03:09 AM »
I finally picked up an RB67, it's great but I feel as though I'm wrestling when I shoot with it. I know what I want it to do, but it seems to want to do something entirely different.

These are FP4 and Ilfotec LC29.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2019, 12:09:34 PM »
I finally picked up an RB67, it's great but I feel as though I'm wrestling when I shoot with it. I know what I want it to do, but it seems to want to do something entirely different.

These are FP4 and Ilfotec LC29.
Nice photos, Nigel. I was the same with the Hasselblad when I first got it. It's a bit like when you first get a dog. You've got to know what makes it tick and ensure it knows you're the boss  ;D
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2019, 01:36:07 PM »
One thing's for sure, the RB67 is more akin to working with a Newfoundland than a Chihuahua  ;D
Francois

grit

• Silver and Platinum (my YouTube channel)
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2019, 03:55:06 PM »
Nigel, I had the same feeling about my RZ67 when I first got it. Once I fixed up the light leaks and started shooting with it, things got easier - it's now my favorite camera and the one I use the most. I got a Peak Design sling bag for it, making it easy to carry, so I've even been using it as a street camera. At 1/400 or 1/250 I can handhold without too many problems, and any situation where I'm shooting indoors, I'll probably have a tripod anyway. I felt vindicated when my friend who knows nothing about photography came over and tried out the RZ67, and said "THAT'S what it sounds like? That's SO COOL!!" Newfoundland IS an apt analogy in so many ways.

Also by the way, this is an outstanding weekend thread! It's taking me an hour just to go through it all. I particularly enjoyed Blaxton's last picture, of what I think is a garage door or warehouse door? Many other good ones too.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 03:56:43 PM by grit »

Blaxton

• Sheet Film
    • Flickr
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2019, 03:54:34 AM »
Blaxton's last picture, of what I think is a garage door or warehouse door? Many other good ones too.

Thanks Grit.  It's a folding door over the front of a stage—part of the arts center square that includes the Gallery of Photography.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/willblax/

There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method. -- Herman Melville

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2019, 07:09:38 AM »
Nigel, I had the same feeling about my RZ67 when I first got it. Once I fixed up the light leaks and started shooting with it, things got easier - it's now my favorite camera and the one I use the most. I got a Peak Design sling bag for it, making it easy to carry, so I've even been using it as a street camera. At 1/400 or 1/250 I can handhold without too many problems, and any situation where I'm shooting indoors, I'll probably have a tripod anyway. I felt vindicated when my friend who knows nothing about photography came over and tried out the RZ67, and said "THAT'S what it sounds like? That's SO COOL!!" Newfoundland IS an apt analogy in so many ways.

Thanks Grit, I'm glad it's not only me that felt that way. I'm hoping to get some time to shoot it this weekend. I've only shot it handheld so far, maybe I need to break out the tripod.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website