Author Topic: Selective Bleaching...  (Read 2011 times)

original_ann

• Self-Coat
Selective Bleaching...
« on: September 18, 2012, 11:43:33 AM »

mickld

Re: Selective Bleaching...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 01:08:14 AM »
Very interesting. On my list of things to try. I've seen this technique in an article somewhere put to good use to 'brighten' the whites of the eyes and the teeth of the model in a portrait. So I've always thought of this as 'brightening' whites but the article you link to points out that it will also boost contrast which I hadn't thought of and makes it doubly interesting.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 11:25:06 AM »
I do it quite a lot in printing - its great to lift local contrast and add zing. Be careful not to lose your photographic whites though... We're not at home to paper-base whites.
L.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 02:54:04 PM »
cool! reminds me of an article I read about using trisodium citrate (I think!) to boost contrast in a print. I should see if I can find that again :)
/jonas

mikezvi

• 35mm
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 06:10:57 PM »
Does anyone have tips on not getting hard edges or yellow stains (besides practice, practice, practice :))

I have a handful of negatives that I think can benefit from this much more than dodging, but talk about a paper waster!

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 06:41:09 PM »
Does anyone have tips on not getting hard edges or yellow stains (besides practice, practice, practice :))

I have a handful of negatives that I think can benefit from this much more than dodging, but talk about a paper waster!

Bleach and paper types are critical for stains - which bleach are you using?

I'm guessing you are talking about slective bleaching reather than a general lift of the whole print?

Having a very weak bleach dilution is crucial for selective application.  It is better to build up slowly than to go too far too fast.

I have a flat surface (thin plastic laminated chopping board) that I 'stick' the squeegeed wet print onto and have this angled on the edge of the Darkroom sink.  I have a hose with running water constantly flowing onto the print.  I direct the water flow just below the area I am bleaching with my left hand (to wash away drips), and apply the bleach with a brush using my right hand. Every second or so, I flush the bleached area with the water, then apply again.

It is a palava, but worth the effort
L.