Author Topic: You've Gotta Love Flickr  (Read 5015 times)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
You've Gotta Love Flickr
« on: March 15, 2012, 12:01:54 PM »
I often enjoy reading comments on Flickr - for a variety of reasons. Occasionally the comments are interesting and worthwhile. Mostly they're along the lines of "nice", but just occasionally there's something that makes me laugh out loud and reflect on how 'niche' the Internet has allowed us to become regarding our interests and enthusiasms.

I recently stumbled across this photo http://www.flickr.com/photos/tage/4380229843/#in/faves-30160915@N02/ which is nice enough (and shot on film to boot), but what caught my eye was this comment:

"Hi, I'm an admin for a group called I love wallpaper, and we'd love to have this added to the group!"

;D ;D ;D

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: You've Gotta Love Flickr
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 01:03:40 PM »
I recently stumbled across this photo http://www.flickr.com/photos/tage/4380229843/#in/faves-30160915@N02/ which is nice enough (and shot on film to boot), but what caught my eye was this comment:

"Hi, I'm an admin for a group called I love wallpaper, and we'd love to have this added to the group!"

;D ;D ;D

How the long, winter evenings must fly by in that household, eh...??  :o
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 01:10:27 PM »
The group has 62 members.  62 people love wall paper that much!

DS

• Peel Apart
  • I don't look like my avatar
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 01:28:20 PM »
I got some my photos invited to the "Gingham art photography group" or somesuch. Odd.

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 02:54:50 PM »
Actually, I usually pop over to Filmwasters for a good laugh!! :) :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 04:12:15 PM »
Wallpaper?
We've had the same friggin ugly army green wallpaper in the stairwell since we bought the house! The thing is truly horrible and if it wasn't that we can't figure out how to set a ladder safely, it would have been gone long ago!

I can't believe they sold this same model all over the world!

PS.: Forgot to mention that the same wallpaper is the same as in "same as in the picture" the same
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 10:13:09 PM by Francois »
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 04:31:52 PM »
I was only recently asked (through flickr) to write and illustrate an article on postboxes for a South Korean teenage girl magazine... I don't even have any postboxes in my flickr stream!?...

This is probably my favourite flickr group name though http://www.flickr.com/groups/573182@N24/
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 07:13:11 PM »
But Paul. You are English, you must have an opinion on postboxes.  ;D

Let's sidestep teenage Korean girls  ::)

Ordinal

• chasing daisies...
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 08:30:15 PM »
This is the best thing about Flickr. The whole "posting photos" bit is really just a gateway into joining groups like "Pictures Of Mouse Heads". "Post your pictures of mouse heads here! RULES: 1. Only mouse heads! 2. Only the heads of REAL mice, not cartoon mice or people in furry costumes. NO DISNEY! 3. Try to keep other parts of the mouse as much out of the picture as possible - if you really can't avoid it, one front foot is allowed, but TAILS will mean the photo is removed. 4. This is not a group for pictures of detached mouse heads. If you really must post a picture of the head of a dead - but intact - mouse, please add [DECEASED] to the photo title, and no more than one per month. 5. No advertising, particularly of taxidermy mouse head decorations on Etsy."
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 11:05:57 AM by Ordinal »
chasing daisies... - a blog about things
redspotted on Flickr - pictures of stuff

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 11:07:25 PM »
Jeeze - Imagine that, being a teenage girl in Korea and getting all Postal.

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 11:09:53 PM »

Oooo just read the "Mouse Head" post and am giggling.

Darnley

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 11:46:34 PM »
My favorite Flickr group despite there being only ten members (including me) and six total imageposts.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/killer_lobster/

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 11:53:42 PM »
My favorite Flickr group despite there being only ten members (including me) and six total imageposts.

Buggeration - and I thought I had issues!!
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 09:43:37 AM »
I was only recently asked (through flickr) to write and illustrate an article on postboxes for a South Korean teenage girl magazine... I don't even have any postboxes in my flickr stream!?...

Here's just part of the series of questions they wanted me to answer...

EG What is the most memorable letter? And what is the reason and what is the letter written about?
EG What images come to mind when you think about letter(or postbox)?
EG If you want to create artwork based a letter(or postbox), what would you like to make?
EG Now, if you send a letter? If you were to write a letter, what would you write about? Please describe simulated letter.
EG If you want to leave trace on a letter, what do you think it(seal on the wax, sign, pen and ink....)? What is the reason?
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 09:53:09 AM »
and I thought "Guy with a TLR" was a good joke on the ever popular "Girl with a TLR" group ;D

but my favorite is problably Zuiko loves Metal "Portraits of long haired hard rock/metal/hippie/stoner etc. guys shot with Zuiko lenses."
3 members, 7 photos  8)

Here's just part of the series of questions they wanted me to answer...

EG What is the most memorable letter? And what is the reason and what is the letter written about?
EG What images come to mind when you think about letter(or postbox)?
EG If you want to create artwork based a letter(or postbox), what would you like to make?
EG Now, if you send a letter? If you were to write a letter, what would you write about? Please describe simulated letter.
EG If you want to leave trace on a letter, what do you think it(seal on the wax, sign, pen and ink....)? What is the reason?
That's hilarious!  :D
/jonas

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 01:27:17 PM »
This is the best thing about Flickr. The whole "posting photos" bit is really just a gateway into joining groups like "Pictures Of Mouse Heads". "Post your pictures of mouse heads here! RULES: 1. Only mouse heads! 2. Only the heads of REAL mice, not cartoon mice or people in furry costumes. NO DISNEY! 3. Try to keep other parts of the mouse as much out of the picture as possible - if you really can't avoid it, one front foot is allowed, but TAILS will mean the photo is removed. 4. This is not a group for pictures of detached mouse heads. If you really must post a picture of the head of a dead - but intact - mouse, please add [DECEASED] to the photo title, and no more than one per month. 5. No advertising, particularly of taxidermy mouse head decorations on Etsy."

I was not going to comment here -as Fickle jumped the shark when it went to Yahoo - but Pictures of Mouse Heads needs to be circulated widely. Brilliant. As of course (now that I am here) is Ed's premise to start. Hence of course, why I call it Fickle...

Should we perhaps change the name of the fw Fickle group to just that, and add the rules too? Skj.

Lucy Telford

• 35mm
    • Lucy Telford Photography
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »

Jim!  You're here?!  Fantastic!

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 01:26:23 AM »
Ordinal that is hilarious and appropriate, hahah!

I've gotten the occasional message from people who have added me to bring to my attention that they've added me as a "friend" and would appreciate the same. 

Darnley

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 03:15:39 PM »

Jim!  You're here?!  Fantastic!
[/quote]

Hi Lucy. As you can see by the number of posts I have, I am here pretty much in a lurking capacity.
And I just realized how creepy "lurking capacity" sounds as I type it.