Author Topic: Wensleydale Blue Success?  (Read 1500 times)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Wensleydale Blue Success?
« on: January 16, 2011, 11:39:25 AM »
In the Guardian newspaper saturday supplement, they have a "photos from readers" section each week.  this week, there is a wonderful mono photo of a windswept tree from a Graham Darlington.  Is that our very own Wensleydale Blue I wonder?

If so, big congrats Graham. Its a great image and quite an accolade to have it in such a well-read and respected rag as the Guardian.  Nice one.

Leon.
L.

Windy

• Sheet Film
  • aka Ian
    • my flickr
Re: Wensleydale Blue Success?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 04:22:07 PM »
Nice one Graham,  great picture  :)

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 07:45:05 PM »
Wow, its epic .. love it.

Wensleydale Blue

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 12:34:37 PM »
Hi Guys... (Hands go up) its a fer cop guv - itwer me wot done it.

Been out of commission for a month or more with abominable abdominal troubles, so missed this first time around.  Second time of entering - short-listed once before but not used.  No fee alas, and I see some gimp in the far east has already 'stolen' it for his own website  - grrrr!

Happy days

WB (GD)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 02:09:29 PM »
Many congratulations - but a question, though...

How do you know when someone's nicked your photo?

Mrs LD and I are (hopefully) off to Cambodia and Thailand later this year so, if the little twerp is in the vicinity, let us know and I'll go and stick a bat up his kimono....

(I really don't like thieves and people who don't think that downloading other people's work counts as stealing...)
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 03:35:57 PM »
There are a few ways to know if an image has been ripped.
There are services like https://www.digimarc.com/ who will have their spiders run the web to discover which of your images appear on other websites. They use an invisible image embedded watermark to make it possible.

If you just want to prove an image is yours, there's Phibit's Icemark http://www.phibit.com/ which also uses image based invisible watermarks.

But still, the best deterrent is a good old annoying visible copyright watermark. The best program I've found so far is Watermark V2 http://www.pmnet.info/watermark/
It's easy to use and efficient.

Thing is, as I was reading recently, copyright of digital data is not implicit in many countries. It all depends if the country where the image was stolen has signed the Bern Convention or not. If it has, copyrights are implicit and don't need to be marked. Otherwise, the © (Your Name), (Date the image was taken) must be written...

I think Leon might be more up to date than I am on the subject...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 06:31:44 PM »
There is also appealing top the better nature of the person using it to either take it down or at least credit you? As there is little you can do without it costing, appealing to someone's sense of right and wrong can be a starting point.

This may have all been tried. If so then I apologise.

Wensleydale Blue

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 02:46:59 PM »
Interesting to get all your comments. I am more annoyed about the image being purloined than the commercial issues involved - its a low res file that won't really be usable but I suppose that's the power and potential for abuse of t'internet for you.