Author Topic: Your experiences with the Olympus 35 RC  (Read 7361 times)

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
Your experiences with the Olympus 35 RC
« on: February 07, 2011, 08:50:08 AM »
I'm considering the Olympus 35 RC as a replacement for my FED 2. The FED is nice size wise, but the finder is just too small for me (I wear glasses) and I'd like a bit more automation. So what are your experiences with this camera? Is it worth it? I'm also open to other suggestions (but it has to be a rangefinder).

Urban

Harvey

• Peel Apart
    • Meandering Extracts
Re: Your experiences with the Olympus 35 RC
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 07:29:17 PM »
I've recently put my 35 RC on a well-known auction site. A lovely little camera and I got a few nice pics but I struggled with the rangefinder focus. I wear glasses too and frequently had to completely de-focus and then re-focus to convince myself it was properly focused. Does that make sense? I don't know if I'll replace it, but if I had the funds then a Bessa R3A would be what I would look to try.

Harvey

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 08:34:28 PM »
Thanks Harvey. The Bessa is unfortunately out of my price range for now otherwise that would be a good choice I think. I assume a 1x finder trumps everything.

Urban

Paul H

• 35mm
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 09:27:12 AM »
Other suggestions?  Contacts ?  :P

There are quite a few cameras of this type that would probably do, some more sought after by collectors than others.  The Konica C35 series (?) is similar, but the better ones go for a similar amount of money to the Olympus.

Another option is the Ricoh 500G - you can often pick these up quite a bit cheaper.  They look cooler too  ;)

Probably worth seeing if you can borrow one first.

DS

• Peel Apart
  • I don't look like my avatar
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 10:08:07 AM »
I assume a 1x finder trumps everything.

Not so much- it's the nature of the rangefinder spot on the Bessas and Leica Ms which is awesome- you can use the edges of the spot as well as the middle and kinda hard to explain. It's always clear and easy to see unless it's too dark to take photos. This is what makes them desirable & expensive

So- all the fixed lens rangefinders are all pretty much of a muchness in terms of the rangefinder spot. Getting the finder cleaned goes a long way.

I've got an Olympus 35ED- like the RD /RC but full auto. It rocks because it's tiny and has a great lens but a bit of manual control would be nice. The Konica auto S3 (also sold as a vivitar something or other) is awesome, as I'm sure the Yashica / Canon / Minolta / Ricoh cameras are all equally good but I've never used them

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 10:49:48 AM »
Other suggestions?  Contacts ?  :P

After 20+ years of wearing glasses I'm not used to my face without glasses. ;)

There are quite a few cameras of this type that would probably do, some more sought after by collectors than others.  The Konica C35 series (?) is similar, but the better ones go for a similar amount of money to the Olympus.

Another option is the Ricoh 500G - you can often pick these up quite a bit cheaper.  They look cooler too  ;)

Probably worth seeing if you can borrow one first.

Ah, I forgot about the Ricoh. That looks like a cute camera. I'll add it to the list. Borrowing is unfortunately not an option around here. :/

Urban

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 10:54:35 AM »
I assume a 1x finder trumps everything.

Not so much- it's the nature of the rangefinder spot on the Bessas and Leica Ms which is awesome- you can use the edges of the spot as well as the middle and kinda hard to explain. It's always clear and easy to see unless it's too dark to take photos. This is what makes them desirable & expensive

One day I will find out what that means for myself.

I've got an Olympus 35ED- like the RD /RC but full auto. It rocks because it's tiny and has a great lens but a bit of manual control would be nice. The Konica auto S3 (also sold as a vivitar something or other) is awesome, as I'm sure the Yashica / Canon / Minolta / Ricoh cameras are all equally good but I've never used them

The size is what is important to me. I doesn't have to be as small as the Olympus Mju/Stylus (which I don't like as it's auto everything) but I want something that I can carry around with me all the time.

Urban

scholzj1

• 35mm
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 06:20:36 PM »
Hi I am new here but I have two Oly 35rc cameras that I love love love.  They are a joy to shoot with.  I would highly recommend them to anyone.  Also along the lines of the Ricoh 500G look for the Sears 35RF.  It is a rebadged Ricoh 500G although all black, and you can usually find them for cheaper than the Ricoh due to people's dislike of the name.  I just purchased one for $8 and it is a pretty nice camera, although I think the zuiko lens on the oly is higher quality.  Anywho, just my $0.02 .

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 07:22:39 PM »
Thank you. I'll be on the lookout for the Sears 35RF too then.

Urban

Randy B

• My Website
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 11:06:54 PM »
I've had mine for about a year now. Overall its a fine camera, there are a few things i dont like about it, but ive otten some great shots out of it.

Pros - great lens, nice and sharp and has a reasonably fast 2.8 aperture that produces good sharpness. Can still work with no batteries, built in meter is good enough and fairly accurate even on slide film. Some flubs now and again exposure wise, usually underexposure. The light meter is right next to the lens so it meters through any filters you have attached. Big viewfinder window, nice and bright and clear.  Very very quiet shutter, has a slight buzz noise on its slowest shutter speeds for its internal timer.  Has a self timer for the shutter.

Cons - automation is shutter priority (my preference is apperture priority, but thats just me).  Rangefinder focus is pretty easy to see in bright light, but can be difficult in low light, even in outdoor shade its a bit tough to see and i have pretty good vision.  Its small but a little bit bulky and akward for sticking into a pocket (not a big deal since this is how most cameras are).  Its got an odd filter thread size, so filters can be hard to find.  Meter is easily tricked by backlight.  iSO setting only goes up to 800, but since its nearly impossible to focus in low light, you wont be using it in situations that would require a higher iso.  If the foam on the film door is old the door isnt very light tight without it, you will almost definately have to refoam a used one from the ebay. No battery indicator, you know its dead when automation stops working (my battery lasted about a year with probably 10 rolls through it, although i accidentaly leave the lens cap off alot so it keeps metering and running down.  On cameras that havnt been kept up with the 2 highest shutter speeds (500 and 250) will be about half as fast as they should be, not a big deal if you keep this in mind during use.

Thats about that.  Its a fun little camera, i wouldnt pay more than 80 USD for one in decent shape.  Its seems durable aside from the focus wheel around the lens.  Great for taking out where you fear to bring your nicer gear. If you have any other specific questions ask away.  Its the only old rangefinder i have used, so i have nothing to compare to other than my Fuji GF670. 

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 05:19:23 AM »
Thanks Randy. That comment about the Fuji makes me quite jealous ;) Apart from that, I'm thinking that maybe I should just save up to something like a Voigtländer Bessa R3A instead of spending money on one (or some) of those fixed lens rangefinders. Especially as the prices on eBay are a bit ridiculous right now (100EUR for an Olympus 35 RC? I don't think so).

Urban

PS: That comment about saving up for a better camera is just wishful thinking. I'll never make it. You know how it is ;)

Randy B

• My Website
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 10:24:18 PM »
It sounds like you want something a little more versatile than the olympus rc35. Maybe those voitlander rangefinders are more your speed.  The automation isnt really a big deal on the olympus, you could probably get about as close in most cases just by guessing.  Mine is a little indecisive with exposure.  I've pushed the shutter halfway to read exposure on the same scene 7-10 times in a row and it usually gives a new fstop recommendation with each push, usually within a 4 stop range or so.  Thats probably about as accurate as your best guess or even a super cheap light meter or iphone app meter.  Its not a fine tuned modern meter, its a Snapshot camera from 50 years ago.  But its great for what it is.

Keep socking away your pennies and in the mean time keep using your Fed 2.  The camera doesnt matter anyways.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 06:54:50 AM »
You are right of course, Randy. If I can keep myself from buying gear, I don't know though. I really shouldn't buy more and instead take more pictures ... We'll see if that works (I highly doubt it).

Urban

patois

• I run p
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 07:44:22 PM »
I really enjoyed my Olympus DC. I hear the RC has ergonomic issues but they should both be great cameras. The small size is pretty wonderful.