Author Topic: 10 photographers you should ignore  (Read 1889 times)

astrobeck

10 photographers you should ignore
« on: March 30, 2012, 08:16:32 AM »
this article is bound to spark some thoughts....

http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2012/03/10-photographers-you-should-ignore/

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
Re: 10 photographers you should ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 11:50:45 AM »
Really, it was more like "here are ten great photographers, but you suck so don't even bother trying to be like them". He had nothing bad to say about any of them, just that they knew what the were doing, and the rest of us have just been busy copying what they do. Which is pretty true in many cases. But rarely is anything truly new or innovative. I just shoot because i enjoy it! But ignoring good potographers certainly won't make you any better. All of those photographers had influences, as well.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 11:54:34 AM by moominsean »
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 12:32:07 PM »
Really, it was more like "here are ten great photographers, but you suck so don't even bother trying to be like them". He had nothing bad to say about any of them, just that they knew what the were doing, and the rest of us have just been busy copying what they do. Which is pretty true in many cases. But rarely is anything truly new or innovative. I just shoot because i enjoy it! But ignoring good potographers certainly won't make you any better. All of those photographers had influences, as well.

;) spot on !

Terry

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 02:54:23 PM »
I stopped reading Wired when they ran that series about the "long boom".  The one that predicted that the IT economy would mean that we'd never have another recession. 

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 01:10:44 AM »
Somehow, I never heard about this magazine before...

Abdul Hye

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 02:12:19 AM »
I notice that this article is in the Categories: Humor, Jobs, Opinion

Wensleydale Blue

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 11:29:53 AM »

Actually, I agree with quite a lot of what he says in the blog.  He obviously greatly respects some of these people and what they have done but seems to be arguing that their influence has sometimes been detrimental in that a lot of second rate stuff has been done in their wake.  He's not really saying ignore these people because they're rubbish - more that if you try to imitate them you'll probably fail.