Author Topic: 16mm wonder showzen  (Read 4974 times)

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
16mm wonder showzen
« on: October 03, 2011, 11:33:18 PM »
Hi all. havent been very active on the old FW for a while as my film shooting exploits have been down to a minimum due to lack of funds for film.. or dev/fix (rodinal is almost gone, fixer has gone...) I have so many rolls of undeveloped c-41 aswel! argh nightmare.

..... anyway my lack of funds have mainly been due to some rather bizarre impulse buying due to a nostalgia driven low budget movie night. After watching, Evil dead II, Bad taste, and Braindead for like the billionth time the other week I decided it would be so awesome to shoot a 16mm zombie movie. My main drive came from the discovery of this beauty:

http://www.k3camera.com/

The K3 was made in two different versions, the bayonette mount and.... wait for it... M42 mount! which is the reason I ordered one of the big auction site (I already have a few prime lenses and its not hard to find more). Another fortunate feature is the fact that the filter thread on the stock lens is 77mm the same as my mamiya rb67 :-) so they can share filters!

I am currently waiting for it to be delivered from the Ukraine, argh its such a ball ache waiting for it.

anyway I was wondering if any of you guys have ever dipped your toes in the pool of SERIOUS filmwasting in the form of motion picture film?

if so any beginners techniques would be muchly appreciated, like seriously anything.. metering/lighting/general shooting tips.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 11:52:27 PM by thom_stone »

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
Re: 16mm wonder showzen
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 11:57:36 PM »

My Friend, that is a Peach !

Terry

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 02:05:05 AM »
Thom,

Happy to provide whatever assistance I can.  I've been shooting 35mm sync for a good few years now, thanks to a couple of Kinor 35s.  Never owned a K3 although I know the camera pretty well and I may have a prime or two that fit it.  Russian motion pic glass is mostly very good--you can get some good images with these cameras if you get a well-set-up one.

Let me know how you get on and if you need stuff or advice along the way.

Terry

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 08:21:42 PM »
Thom - You're in dangerous territory there. I've always had a hankering to make a short film, it's only the possible cost that has put me off. Keep us updated on how it goes, I'm really interested to hear how you get on.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 09:05:34 PM »
I've never shot 16mm... or even Super 8 for that matter. But let me tell you, you're in good hands with Terry on this one!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Terry

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 01:09:53 AM »
I've never shot 16mm... or even Super 8 for that matter. But let me tell you, you're in good hands with Terry on this one!
Aw, shucks!

Thom: I did find a 12.5mm and a 50mm that might fit the K3, if you want 'em.  Cost of postage or some such figure.  I can't vouch for condition as I never used them.  I have an old K1 that's now a bookend but I once had intentions of shooting something with it.  But you know how that goes...

They're breech-lock mount though--what mount does your camera use?  Oops--I see the answer in your original post: looks like yours is screw-mount.  If you want the whole K1, lenses and all, let me know.  The hitch with it is that it uses a special magazine; i.e. you'd need to respool film onto the mag to shoot.  But I do have two mags for it.

Back to lenses: you may find the flange/focal distance on other M42 lenses is wrong for the K3.  I don't remember what the FFD for K3s is...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 01:17:53 AM by Terry »

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 01:58:54 PM »
Hey all thanks for the help so far. I'm still waiting on the camera but will keep you posted. Anything I make will definitely end up on youtube and linked here. The main reason I wanted this camera was to do music videos for my band and some friends bands. I just purchased 200ft of kodak vision 2 off the bay which is now in my fridge. Snapped it up for a tenner! Its 500T so I'm guna save it for some indoor or night shooting. I'm watching loads of peoples auctions on ebay, so hopefully get some daylight film soon and I can shoot a music video :-)

Thanks for the link leonY, I would love to purchase that but not sure it would end up being sucha great deal after postage. there seem to be quite a few uk film makers converting to digital and dumping their film stock on ebay! Which is awesome. Saw 400ft of vision 2 daylight go for 2 quid the other day! Gutted I had no cash to grab it myself. But please keep me posted anyone if you see some mega deals on 16mm anywhere.

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 01:24:53 PM »
If you want the whole K1, lenses and all, let me know. 

well this is a tempting offer, what would you want for them?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 03:33:32 PM »
Aw, shucks!
You know Terry, I always give credit where credit is due  :)
Francois

samantha

• 35mm
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 08:11:29 PM »
Hi Thom, that camera is a beauty. I'm quite envious.

Will you be developing your own film or sending it off? I've recently started experimenting with a little Super 8 stuff, and went on an excellent workshop at no.w.here in Bethnal Green, which is a great little film-makers co-op and education centre. Members can use their studio to do their own 8 & 16mm development too. I found them to be really helpful, but you might be able to get all the help you need here anyway.

I'm keeping my eye out for a cheap lomo tank on ebay so I can do my own colour reversal developing at home, just because I don't get up to London that much.

Terry

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 02:37:15 AM »
Thom,
I have plenty of other things I can use for bookends--you're welcome to the K1 and all the stuff that goes with it for the cost of postage.
Terry

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 10:59:49 AM »
Thom,
I have plenty of other things I can use for bookends--you're welcome to the K1 and all the stuff that goes with it for the cost of postage.
Terry

Why thank you terry you are a true gent, i promise it will be well loved and used with care. I have pm'd you my address. let me know the rough price of postage and I can paypal it to you or whatever you prefer.

Hi Thom, that camera is a beauty. I'm quite envious.

Will you be developing your own film or sending it off?

shes lovely, still waiting for delivery :-( getting an itchy trigger finger seriously. anyway I was toying with the idea of developing myself but Ive never done C-41 stills or anything so I think I might slowly get into that first. If I can get hold of any black and white negative film I will dev that myself for sure. Only thing is I dont have a projector for 16mm only 8mm. I was planning on digitising everything at a lab but now im wondering whether it might be worth me getting a cheap telecine or just projector.... hmm

wooop just realised I made it to "Sheet film" status suppose I should get hold of a 4x5 now :-P

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 03:22:45 PM »
For the conversion, if you check for something like DIY telecine or homemade telecine, you'll find tons of ways to convert the film to video.
Francois

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 07:08:13 PM »
UPDATE:

recieved the camera today.... and was completely miffed... it was indeed the Bayonet mount however the seller said it was the screw mount (suppose those lenses will fit now Terry) also one of the bayonet tab things on the actual lens seems to have snapped off in transit (the item wasnt paricualarly well packed) so now the lens sits on the camera all wonky and loose... does anyone know if I can simply replace that fitting on the lens, it looks like it comes off.

I think the fact I got the wrong camera was because he sent the camera I was supposed to recieve to a repair centre for the light meter to be tested and they somehow managed to break it... in a repair centre.. the irony was not lost on me so I agreed to accept a replacement camera that he said was screw mount, and after doing a bit of reading I found the on board light meters were naff with modern batteries anyway. besides I just picked up a sekonic electronic light meter from a car boot for £4.

anyway any advice on what I should do now. I really don't want to send the camera all the way back to the Ukraine.

btw everything else seems to work great on the camera.

Terry

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 03:28:12 AM »
Thom,

You might as well hang onto it.  I might be able to scare up a zoom lens that'll fit, and I definitely have three primes with the bayo mounts.  I'm still looking for the third one--it's probably at work--and will get it all in the post ASAP.  You're better off metering off-camera: the onboard meters were crap even when they worked.  But mechanically these were often decent cameras.

Do you mind saying who the seller was?

Terry

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 09:27:15 AM »
cheers terry you're a gentleman. sounds like I'll never need another lens :-) the 12.5mm intrigues me the most :-0 don't go out of your way to find a zoom though! i think I can fix this one.

yeah his names n_feniks on ebay. He seems like a really nice guy, I don't think it purposefully sent the wrong camera or anything like that, I must have sent him 10 or so messages back and forth on ebay asking about the camera and stuff, he took the time to reply every time and was pretty polite about it. I think it just comes to down to the language barrier (his messages were in pretty broken english)

Terry

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 01:22:30 PM »
I've bought tons of movie gear from FSU sellers and I've only been intentionally ripped off once.  Can't say that for my US transactions.  There are two problems with these guys--many of them really don't know much about the stuff they're selling and some use machine translation to communicate in English.  ('Pulldown claw' translates into Russian as 'clamshell'.  Go figure.)  And the words 'expert' and 'repairman' are used rather loosely.

LeonY

• Lasers - Pew Pew
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 12:05:18 AM »
i speak fluent russian,beeing born in Odessa ukraine,if anyone needs help tslking with these guys let me know

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 12:15:49 PM »
‪wow Leon! That's a really kind offer! I did send him a message explaining the damage to the lens and the fact it wasn't the camera I asked for, and am waiting for a reply. TBH I'm not sure there is much he can do now if I don't send the camera back.
Might just say:
"Hi
I know a kind person who is going to give me some lenses that fit this camera so no harm done. positive feedback on the way.
Thom"
you could translate that for me as a good will gesture to him :-)

LeonY

• Lasers - Pew Pew
    • My Blog
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2011, 12:36:14 PM »
I know a kind person who is going to give me some lenses that fit this camera so no harm done. positive feedback on the way. Thom"

In russian

Privet
Ya ochen davalin s etom kinoaparatom. Ya na noshol ochen dobravy dovarish kator dal mne neskolko objective dlat etoivo kinoapatar. Ya astavlu tebe harashoa feedback dla ebay
Vse haroshova
Thom

My grammer may be a bit off but that pretty much sums it up
Cheers
leon

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 02:44:03 PM »
wow leon you star, the kindness of people on this forum is just awesome, feeling the FW love right now :-)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2011, 10:03:46 AM »
wow leon you star, the kindness of people on this forum is just awesome, feeling the FW love right now :-)

unless he's not just made you offers to sell your kidney for 10 hryvnia!  :D ;) ;D
L.

LeonY

• Lasers - Pew Pew
    • My Blog
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2011, 10:05:16 AM »
Leon dont forget to ad postage to ukraine, registerd ofcoarse :-)

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2011, 11:05:24 AM »
haha I did consider it didn't say what I wanted :-P but I trust him. I will translate it in google translate now and it will say all sorts of silly shit :-P

LeonY

• Lasers - Pew Pew
    • My Blog
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2011, 04:55:14 AM »
just thouht id put my 5c in. my friend picked this up for me in germany for 20Euro a few years back. its a 8mm with a zoom lense,made in ussr,works perfectly. i shot a roll of film throught it and was ammazed that it wirked so well