Author Topic: Pro-labs to dev and scan high res to cd.  (Read 1645 times)

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
Pro-labs to dev and scan high res to cd.
« on: February 18, 2011, 11:37:03 AM »
I think most of us probably scan at home but I was just wondering what's out there, who you use if you don't diy, if you're happy with them etc, i'm in the uk.
The only name I know is Peak-Imaging but I'm sure there must be lots more...

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
Re: Pro-labs to dev and scan high res to cd.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 12:16:14 PM »
Vicky I use Peak and Genie Imaging http://www.genieimaging.co.uk/

Genie are very good at following instructions and very reasonably priced I think..

astrobeck

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 12:52:53 PM »
I do my own, but "Picture Perfect" in Albuquerque does B&W processing and scanning.

They do a great job, and listen to what you say to them.  Two of the guys that work at the lab are Holga shooters, so that's an added plus.

:) :)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 02:12:38 PM »
Hi Vicky (et al)

I haven't used any of the "big names" here in the UK. Frankly, the prices quoted put me off. The package offered by "Genie" looks tempting but the file sizes of the scans aren't likely to be significant.

Asking for a roll of 35mm or 120 to be scanned and put onto a disc is usually around £4.99 to £6.99 but file sizes are tiny. Some of the professional labs charge

The "Pro Centre" on Mallow Street, London (big Hassy dealer) used to offer rental of their Hasselblad drum scanner for about £50 per hour + VAT. So there's a real range of quality and prices available to suit most pockets / purses.

Given that an Epson V750 costs around £500, that means you start to break even after scanning around 100 rolls. Better still, you can scan them to whatever size and resolution you want and have fun into the bargain.

All of this is based on B&W. 99% of what I do is B&W. As I don't have the software to manage colour scans as accurately as I'd like, I'm going to have to invest a bit more in monetary terms to get the kit required - then learn how to use it properly  :o

"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 02:22:11 PM »
Hi Vicky (et al)

I haven't used any of the "big names" here in the UK. Frankly, the prices quoted put me off. The package offered by "Genie" looks tempting but the file sizes of the scans aren't likely to be significant.

They do ok for my purposes and my home scanner is rubbish. Average jpg scan they do for me is 732 KB (2297x2275 pix).

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 02:34:27 PM »
Thanks suzi...that looks great...i'll give them a go and see how it goes.

becks, sounds good but Albuquerque is probably a bit far for me :)

paul, yes, eventually i need to get a new scanner, mine's definitely getting worse, but i'm also fed up with scanning at the moment and i want to see whether i could offer film portraits at a reasonable cost, both money and time wise or whether i could realistically only offer  d*****l.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 02:55:45 PM »
Hi Vicky,

The Film -v- Digital is a whole other debate. Personally, I don't know why digital is a dirty word. I'm a very happy user of a Nikon D700, Panasonic Lumix LX3 and I've owned a few others down the years. The output is mostly acceptable, very flexible (with the right software) and it certainly keeps cost "down" by keeping speed "up". When I don't have time to wait for negs to be processed, I really enjoy a trip to the dork dark side.

But it depends on what your customers want and/or what you're prepared to provide for your customers.

It's easy for me, as an amateur, to pontificate - but I have had a spell as a wedding / portrait photographer when film was the only option (early 1980s) and I know how slow and laborious processing film and chemical prints are when done properly.

I suspect that anyone who is a full-time, professional photographer would almost have to offer digital images to customers - purely to survive on both financial and service grounds. The only way I could see that not being thecase is if the photographer was so "famous" as a film worker that they could dictate the medium to their customers and charge a fee sufficient to make a decent profit from a reduced volume workflow.

I have a pro friend who loves film but "has" to shoot digital weddings and commercial / industrial portfolios to survive.

Film is probably going to end up (if it's not there already) as a medium for the discerning and those who are prepared to pay a premium for the best.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 03:24:11 PM »
I thought about getting myself a new fandangled scanner for negs but to be honest I like the ease (and laziness) of just sending off my rolls and getting the negs back with a CD of them already scanned, I just don't have enough time to scan everything myself, or the patience of wiping off every dust speck, it drives me nuts.

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 03:26:50 PM »
Paul, heh, I don't think digital is a dirty word,  probably most of us use both, it's only that this site is dedicated to film :)

And yes film can be slow but that's why i'm interested in seeing other options for it...i feel happier with film, it gives me the look i love but i'm not even vaguely famous so i'd need to incorporate it slowly i think, maybe a couple of rolls a time as well as the digi before i could charge what it's worth...and that's even if i actually like taking pictures of strangers and don't decide to keep it as a hobby :)
Just thinking out loud and puzzling over the options really.

Suzi, I'm so with you on that!

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 04:09:53 PM »
Paul, heh, I don't think digital is a dirty word,  probably most of us use both, it's only that this site is dedicated to film :)

that's it exactly Vicky - there are plenty of places available on the interweb to discuss the benefits or pitfalls of digital cameras, and this ain't one of them :)

L.