Author Topic: My first Instax 200 pics  (Read 1837 times)

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
My first Instax 200 pics
« on: May 15, 2008, 09:05:32 PM »
Spooky. Around the time formica got his I got one too. Here are 3 pics from the trial run. One thing I noticed when reading the 'technical' spec was that the EV range of the meter is 10-15 which is very narrow compared to most meters of 1-19. And yes, the flash does just seem to pop off. A fun camera though and while these are untouched I did have some fun playing around with the saturation of the image. Worth pursuing.

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
Re: My first Instax 200 pics
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 06:22:47 PM »
funny, when i saw this topic i thought it was the one i started before...:)  of these three i really like the first one with the shadows on the sidewalk. i'm not sure what you mean about the EV range of the meter though. something about the range of the light meter?

william

otto k

• ottok photography
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 10:49:55 PM »
These are quite nice.  Might be a camera to look at later on or at least to add to the list.  :)

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 01:42:13 PM »
i'm not sure what you mean about the EV range of the meter though. something about the range of the light meter?

william

I presumed it meant the range of lighting that a meter inside a camera can measure. As I not technically minded I thought I'd leave it at that but found myself doing a bit of research. I came acorss this thread on APUG

http://www.apug.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-22339.html

A more 'layperson' type answer is:

Exposure value. A method of quantifying scene brightness in order to take photo. For practical photography purposes, the meter expresses a dynamic range from 'how low' to 'how high' a range of apertures, speeds, isos can allow the same amount of light to reach the film. My Rolleiflex T has a very handy EV range set on a moving scale so once I've got a correct shutter speed and aperture measure and set, I can then move the EV scale and still get the same amount of light in but at a different spped/aperture combination

A meter that with an EV1-EV20 range means that it could measure brightness levels from just above the light level of a candle light to a brightly sunlight scene on a snow capped mountain. There are some great handheld light meters that can measure the light from the moon (Gossen Lunasix).  Whether hand held or in-camera, the wider the numeric range means that the meter can handle broader range of exposure latitude.

Bringing it back to the Instax 200 range of 10-15 means it can't measure a very wide range of lighting conditions, perhaps the reason why the flash fires so easily.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com