Author Topic: Filmwasters Kill Fluffy Kittens Apparently.  (Read 23305 times)

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
Re: Filmwasters Kill Fluffy Kittens Apparently.
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2015, 03:01:23 AM »
Oh, and Ed? My assumption about you when I read that you don't eat Marmite is that you are a wise man. Marmite is evil.

Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2015, 04:31:45 AM »
Wow. I typed the first reply here, but deleted it as I thought I was being controversial. It did however include comment on the recent Nat Geo edition on science deniers, mild by comparison to the good natured comments that did eventually follow though.

While I am a meat eater myself, I could happily be an ethical vegetarian - as my children all are - if not merely because of the question, 'Could I kill and butcher the meat I eat myself?'. Clearly in my case, the answer is 'no'. Fish perhaps...

In a similar vein (I kid), could I waste film if I had to cut the hoofs off animals? No, again. There lays the conundrum; is doing, using, or eating something OK if all the nasty business happens elsewhere by someone else? I assume animals are not farmed just to make film though, and film's use of animal by-products is one of convenience? Like alternate fuel sources for cars, unless it is uneconomical to use something, and alternative rarely surfaces.

What I can say for near certainty though, is the financial impetus to develop an alternative for film will almost certainly never exist...

By the way, in the extracts field, I am already there - as I am not able to eat Marmite, confining myself to the more ethical. better tasting, better for you, Vegemite. Skj.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 04:33:33 AM by Skorj »

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2015, 06:57:52 AM »
Ethical Yeast Extract? ... Now there's a thought!

I'm genuinely interested why you can eat vegemite but not marmite Skorj? Is there an additive that you are sensitive to?

Me...  I love Marmite. It is salty-toast-spread heaven. I equate yeast extract spreads to slide film. Marmite is velvia, a whack of colour for your taste buds. Vegemite is provia, a bit bland, a bit meh. And...  Did you know they are both byproducts of the brewing industry? So eating marmite is like recycling beer waste. There's another thought.

L.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2015, 07:06:54 AM »
There's nothing more natural than killing animals and using their bodies for food, clothing and tools.

Nothing  more natural or nothing more human? Given we are afforded the benefit of choice and ethical consideration,  does that render the nature argument as invalid?

Not questions aimed at you 16mman...  Just thinking out loud.
L.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2015, 07:49:45 AM »
There's nothing less natural than eating Marmite.

(Thread Locked by Administrator)

;D ;D ;D

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2015, 09:13:04 AM »
Now we really are becoming controversial.  I have just had my daily breakfast of two slices of toast covered with Marmite.  DELICIOUS.

End of debate.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2015, 09:29:07 AM »
I'm with you Charles. I can't livel without marmite - great for veggie gravy, great with cheese on toast, just plain great!
L.

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2015, 12:14:47 PM »
When I was teaching overseas, I was asked to settle the matter once and for all - Marmite or Vegemite? The English and Aussie/Kiwi contingents in the staff room decided they needed a neutral American judge. They blindfolded me and gave me a bite of each spread on some toast.

The verdict was that they are both foul and my colleagues were trying to kill me.
Leonore

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2015, 12:43:47 PM »
That is brilliant Leonore! I've never met an American who likes Marmite. Salt on toast is how a US friend of mine described it. 
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2015, 01:58:11 PM »
I guess I'm lucky/unlucky since both are not available in local grocery stores... ;D
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2015, 02:41:17 PM »
That is brilliant Leonore! I've never met an American who likes Marmite.

Leon I think we may have inadvertently discovered why we have more cultured outlook here in the UK (Yeast culture)  ;D

I'll quickly run to the exit...
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2015, 02:58:51 PM »
Funny how lately the threads have descended into discussions of food!

I don't have much of an opinion on the Marmite vs Vegemite debate as I frankly don't eat either. Though I will admit that I have a jar of Marmite that I've used a few times in vegetarian gravy and in bread dough to give the bread an extra umami / glutamic acid kick (the yeast is dead so it doesn't add to the rise). Generally for my salty bread spreads I rely on the much better tasting white miso paste.

As Leon points out Marmite & Vegemite are byproducts of the brewing industry. Another instance of something that would otherwise be wasted being re-purposed! Just like gelatin!

both are not available in local grocery stores
In French-Canadian culture we tend to prefer the sweet rather than salty on toast...

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 03:00:40 PM by Hungry Mike »

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2015, 03:40:38 PM »
Well, I should throw in my red-blooded American taste buds for good measure. If you want something delicious and savory on your toast, there's nothing that beats good ol' peanut butter.

No animals were harmed in the writing of this forum post, though I am having some chicken soup for lunch.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2015, 05:54:57 PM »
No conflict. I like both. Crunchy peanut butter. And Marmite. Yum yum. It has been a while since I last could get hold of a jar of the latter. No one's heard of it here in Norway. Oh, and Lemon Curd. I miss that too.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

16mman

• Sean Anderson Media
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2015, 05:58:00 PM »
Nothing  more natural or nothing more human? Given we are afforded the benefit of choice and ethical consideration,  does that render the nature argument as invalid?

I suppose it depends on what we believe our origins are. If we believe we originate from animals, and that we've attained a higher moral plane than they have, than perhaps eating animals is akin to cannibalism.

If we believe we are made by the divine and have always been on a higher plane than animals, and that animals were  made by the devine for our use, than there's nothing more natural than using them.

The one thing I think both of these positions can agree on is the wrongness of animal cruelty.

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2015, 07:16:12 PM »
That is brilliant Leonore! I've never met an American who likes Marmite. Salt on toast is how a US friend of mine described it.

As an American I did not grow up with Marmite. So when a friend of mine who grew up in Huddersfield introduced me to the stuff, spread thinly on a slice of toast, I had a hard time imagining anyone eating it willingly. Ever. But then he introduced me to Twiglets and the taste slowly grew on me. Now I really like Marmite and, the small jars are great for storing Rodinal because I can easily get an oral syringe in there to draw out the few milliliters (American non-Marmite native spelling) that I need.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2015, 07:28:56 PM »
The one thing I think both of these positions can agree on is the wrongness of animal cruelty.

Good points in your post 16mman, and the last one is particularly strong.
L.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2015, 07:30:20 PM »
When Marmite was first mentioned in this thread visions of eating a small furry animal popped into my head (Marmot).  I was confused because that wouldn't be vegetarian.  I have heard of Vegimite but not Marmite, haven't tried either of them.  I usually put cream cheese on my toasted bagel.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2015, 07:30:24 PM »
Now I really like Marmite and, the small jars are great for storing Rodinal because I can easily get an oral syringe in there to draw out the few milliliters (American non-Marmite native spelling) that I need.

Fantastic idea!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 07:32:03 PM by Leon »
L.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2015, 07:31:25 PM »
When Marmite was first mentioned in this thread visions of eating a small furry animal popped into my head (Marmot).  I was confused because that wouldn't be vegetarian.  I have heard of Vegimite but not Marmite, haven't tried either of them.  I usually put cream cheese on my toasted bagel.

Cream cheese and marmite bagels are the equivalent of food heaven. You should try!
L.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2015, 07:34:09 PM »
For the uninitiated:

L.

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2015, 07:36:17 PM »
No conflict. I like both. Crunchy peanut butter. And Marmite. Yum yum. It has been a while since I last could get hold of a jar of the latter. No one's heard of it here in Norway. Oh, and Lemon Curd. I miss that too.

yes and until you try peanut butter with marmite you have not lived..
http://vegancrunk.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/peanut-butter-meet-marmite.html

The taste (which is what my mother tells me I called marmite as a toddler) and a flag waving version

For your majesty long may you spread it on your toast
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 07:41:22 PM by Photo_Utopia »

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2015, 07:38:07 PM »
You have to have been fed Marmite as a child to like it, otherwise most people just won't understand.  My wife (Mexican) certainly doesn't and neither do any Mexican friends or relatives who come over and visit.

I've tried Vegemite and it's nice but abit bland and boring.

Marmite makes your muscules grow bigger  ;) 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2015, 09:18:16 PM »
Would anyone please pass me the butter  ;D

Somehow, I was just thinking of those Grey Poupon Dijon mustard ads from the 80's...
Grey Poupon Original Commercial
Francois

kentish cob

• Peel Apart
  • I've a photographic memory, but it's out of film!
    • tony steers photography
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2015, 09:23:41 PM »
Potentially one of the most divisive internet forum discussions ever... wonder if we'll look back fondly on the great marmite debate of 2015?

For the record, I'm pro-marmite.
A hot buttered crumpet with marmite simply can't be bettered.

This has reminded me... strangely, and for reasons no-one has ever been able to fathom, my nephew used to call me Uncle Marmite when he was first starting to talk, and the nickname stuck for a good few years. "love me or hate me... just don't ignore me!"  ;D 
Merveille de Bollwiller.
A hardy, vigorous and productive variety with large nuts!

http://www.steers-gallery.co.uk/
http://www.putaframearoundit.co.uk/

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2015, 11:08:07 PM »
I'm genuinely interested why you can eat vegemite but not marmite Skorj? Is there an additive that you are sensitive to?
Easy! When we arrived from the Wide Brown Land to Blighty, my mother told me Vegemite wasn't available and we had to eat Marmite. But as it was the same, all would be OK. Well, it obviously wasn't the same, and as a kid I realized then my mother lied to me. If she lied to me about Marmite, I thought maybe she's also lied to me about other things... The Easter Bilby perhaps? Is he real? Father Xmas? Did veal really come from corn? My world was never the same... I've never been able to eat it since.

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2015, 11:23:16 PM »
You have to have been fed Marmite as a child to like it, otherwise most people just won't understand.  My wife (Mexican) certainly doesn't and neither do any Mexican friends or relatives who come over and visit.

I've tried Vegemite and it's nice but abit bland and boring.

Marmite makes your muscules grow bigger  ;)

I believe that is the key - slowly developing immunity from childhood. Trying either version for the first time as an adult usually involves making noises like a cat trying to get out a hairball.
Leonore

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2015, 11:34:45 PM »
I believe that is the key - slowly developing immunity from childhood. Trying either version for the first time as an adult usually involves making noises like a cat trying to get out a hairball.

You're not selling me on this Marmite stuff.  I do like the idea of putting Rodinal in the container, my bottle is almost to the point where my syringe won't reach.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2015, 07:29:31 AM »
Dijon Mustard?  English Mustard please. ;)
mustard? no we're going into interesting territory :D
dijon mustard is nice but I like a bit of crunch in my mustard and an even mix of brown and yellow seeds.

give me mustard and potatoes and I'll be a happy man ;D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 07:31:04 AM by jojonas~ »
/jonas

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2015, 11:50:18 AM »
Skorj: The wounds of childhood  ;)

Jonas: Good for you. I'm a huge mustard fan and will try any version of it. I even have it on toast with peanut butter.

Marmite Freaks: You're still all wrong. My introduction to the heinous gloop was as a 6 year old, when a class mate offered me a bite of his Marm**e sandwich. It was so vicious tasting that I honestly felt like he'd subjected me to an electric shock. It left an impression and I didn't stray anywhere near the stuff for around 20 years. Then I tried a Twiglet at some point which just confirmed my suspicions. Hideous. I do however use it in gravies, stews, soups etc.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2015, 08:29:43 PM »
I am also a fan of mustard. Must be from when I was young and lived in Germany, Bratwürst with brötchen and Löwensenf at the local Imbiss. Oh boy did the mustard make the meal.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 06:31:03 PM by Ezzie »
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2015, 08:53:35 PM »
It reminds me that in the early 80's, one of my dad's coworker was sent to Paris for a job. While he was there, he had a Hot Dog and seeing how little mustard the cook put on it, he thought he was being cheap and told him to put plenty on. The story goes that he never had tasted such a "burn your mouth" strong hotdog...
I don't know if he also had him put on some Jalapenos...
Francois

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2015, 11:18:45 PM »

Eating marmite is like recycling beer waste.

I think you should be their spokesperson, Leon! Actually I have never tried the stuff - perhaps I should as a veggie, tho there seems to be a veggie divide on this matter. I am about to hit the miso for my veggie stew as it is my fermented product of choice.

BTW, it seems like their are a few vegetarians out there of the Leica-schmeica variety (to quote mr marmite). Is there any pro-Leica veggies out their or is this a meaningless correlation.

And mike I knew you would eventually bring up the freakin mapospread!!
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2015, 03:47:41 AM »
Speaking of British spreads, one thing my wife discovered when we were in London several years ago is Branston Pickle and the ploughman's lunch.  They do have Branston Pickle in our local grocery stores.

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2015, 04:31:23 AM »

Holy freakin' canoli!!!! Maple flavored spread?!! Why has this never crossed the border? I have always had a love for Canada. Many a brilliant vacation was spent there in my youth. Back in the 60s and 70s and early 80s, a time woefully remembered as the American Potato Chip Flavor Deficiency (we only had access to plain, barbecue, sour cream and onion and garlic flavored chips, crisps to you denizens of the empire) a trip to Canada was an eye opening experience for a chip loving kid. They had dill flavored chips, chicken chips and the piece de resistance, the pinnacle of chip flavordom, the alpha and omega chip: ketchup chips. I love Canada for many reasons, but the ketchup chip alone would have won my feelings of international fraternity. But this, the concealing of the very existence of a maple flavored spread I cannot abide. I am disheartened, saddened and gutted by the lack of cross border maple spreadness.  My toast is bereft. True north strong and hoarding all of the maple flavored goodness. Of course a can or two would probably assuage these wounds.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2015, 11:17:43 AM »
They do have Branston Pickle in our local grocery stores.

Yes! Bring out the Branston!

Branston 2013 TV Ad:  http://youtu.be/oPXnAVUpqfw

Now,  piccalilli is a whole other bucket of eels. Eww.

L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2015, 02:24:32 PM »

Holy freakin' canoli!!!! Maple flavored spread?!! Why has this never crossed the border? I have always had a love for Canada. Many a brilliant vacation was spent there in my youth. Back in the 60s and 70s and early 80s, a time woefully remembered as the American Potato Chip Flavor Deficiency (we only had access to plain, barbecue, sour cream and onion and garlic flavored chips, crisps to you denizens of the empire) a trip to Canada was an eye opening experience for a chip loving kid. They had dill flavored chips, chicken chips and the piece de resistance, the pinnacle of chip flavordom, the alpha and omega chip: ketchup chips. I love Canada for many reasons, but the ketchup chip alone would have won my feelings of international fraternity. But this, the concealing of the very existence of a maple flavored spread I cannot abide. I am disheartened, saddened and gutted by the lack of cross border maple spreadness.  My toast is bereft. True north strong and hoarding all of the maple flavored goodness. Of course a can or two would probably assuage these wounds.
And that's just the beginning of the stuff we hide from you ;)
Just imagine all the sugar shack goodness you're missing on!
And we don't just get maple syrup from those places. Maple butter, maple hard candy, maple fudge, maple cones, tire d'erable, maple beans, maple ham, nuns farts, maple sugar crystals....
And there's plenty of good for the buds bad for the health goodies you haven't heard of.
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2015, 03:29:12 PM »
nun's farts?  ??? does not sound very appetizing ...

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2015, 04:54:17 PM »
It's actually pretty good. here's the recipe for pète de soeur
http://www.food.com/recipe/pete-de-soeur-nuns-farts-497772

We also have Oreilles de Crisse (Christ's Ears... but surprisingly it doesn't have anything religious about them, I think the name is more related to the ever popular swear words than anything else)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oreilles_de_crisse
Francois

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2015, 07:37:08 AM »
That's cinnamon whirls ruined forever!  Nun's farts indeed.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 12:02:54 PM by Leon »
L.

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2015, 11:31:24 AM »
It's actually pretty good. here's the recipe for pète de soeur
http://www.food.com/recipe/pete-de-soeur-nuns-farts-497772

Sounds like a load of old guff to me, or just hot air at the least....

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2015, 12:34:58 PM »
Nun's farts - my wife's family (not francophone but from eastern ontario) will jokingly praise fluffy pastries but saying they are "as light as a fart".
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2015, 03:46:40 PM »
I have never met a Pets des Soeurs I didn't like! ;D I have a lot of very fond memories of those pastries. As a child I must have eaten my weight in them.

Maple flavored spread?!!
I would not be shocked if you could find Map-o-Spread in the northern states, especially in the Northeast. Smuckers bought out the Canadian company who owned it and now you can find it everywhere. There was a time when you could only find it in French speaking parts of Ontario and Quebec but now you can buy it in any Walmart. And despite its name, Map-O-Spread is actually a condensed sugar spread rather than a maple flavoured spread. Why? No actual maple syrup in it (maybe it did at one point but it definitely does not now). For what its worth, maple butter (essentially maple syrup whipped until it becomes creamy and spreadable) is better. Another favourite bread spread in our home was Grenache caramel spread

Ha! My days of Grenache and Map-O-Spread are long gone. Italian Nutella on the other hand... Or white miso...

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2015, 03:49:16 PM »
I'll second the celebration of the ploughman's lunch however I prefer my Branston with Bubble & Squeak (another fine culinary gift from the UK). Bubble & Squeak is just sad without it.

kentish cob

• Peel Apart
  • I've a photographic memory, but it's out of film!
    • tony steers photography
« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2015, 04:10:27 PM »
Bubble & squeak... now we're talkin'.
Gotta have a fried egg on top, and a good dollop of HP sauce...
Merveille de Bollwiller.
A hardy, vigorous and productive variety with large nuts!

http://www.steers-gallery.co.uk/
http://www.putaframearoundit.co.uk/