Author Topic: This Is Without Doubt The Most Important Topic On Filmwsters!!  (Read 20771 times)

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
Re: This Is Without Doubt The Most Important Topic On Filmwsters!!
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2015, 10:25:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about your 360, Ed! If the worst should come to pass and it turns out that it cannot be repaired you should not discard it. It can be turned into a beautiful manual camera, somewhat like the Pola 101 that I have converted with a Rodenstock lens from a Pola 110a.
(Sorry about the crap picture, it's d*g*t*l).

Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2015, 10:31:17 PM »
thread revival!

that rig looks nice though, Kai. I wouldn't mind some rangefinder action with instant film... my polaroid ee100 special is nice but I'm thinking about using the lens for other stuff when I'm through my last packs of peel apart.
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2015, 10:36:38 PM »
I know there's also that complete shutter rework that gives you electronic speed selection. The camera doesn't even need to work for this one (as long as the shutter isn't rusted shut)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2015, 11:26:28 PM »
Thanks Jonas! The ee100 looks nice, I almost bought one once, but I had no real excuse since I already have three other cameras that takes type 100 film. I have another 101 that I have stripped down ready for conversion, the plan was to put on a 4x5 film back for the new '55 film. It turns out to be rather tricky, I will probably not get the full 4x5 format without some extreme modding. I have considered adding a tilt to the lens board, if nothing else it could produce some whacky pictures.   :P
If all fails I might add an adapter for 120 film backs.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2015, 07:14:39 AM »
Polaroid & lens hacking is a great pastime, not least of which because of the instant results. There are a tonne of web-based tutorials on options, including here in the Articles section. Moomin has some great stuff too. We've done Pathfinders, J33, J66, Fujipets, and all sorts of pack-film, peel-apart and Instax work.

Optically, the roll-film to pack-film conversion is great on a 110/120, but the most fun is possibly the 600SE to integral film. Though Instax on Fujipet was interesting... Good luck!

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2015, 09:26:45 AM »
An old 110A/110B or 120 is a great camera to modify to either pack film, 4x5 or as I have (inspired by Nate) to 600SE type interchangeable backs.

http://on-your-kitchen-worktop.blogspot.no/search/label/Pathfinder

Here's mine in its latest incarnation:

Lucy & 281 by Eirik0304, on Flickr
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2015, 09:54:24 AM »
couple I have done. the 101 was a camera from the share the love thread :-)

and

I've also done a 110b conversion that I use a lot but it doesn't look anywhere near as good as the one above so won't add a pic here  ;)

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2015, 10:24:59 AM »
as I have (inspired by Nate) to 600SE type interchangeable backs.

That is indeed a great idea! Particularly as the Pathfinders weigh a lot less, and have some very smooth lens options. Notably too, their lens board style options allow all sorts of tasty combinations. Mine:

More here: http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=2083.0

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2015, 12:20:14 PM »
couple I have done. the 101 was a camera from the share the love thread :-)

You turned my old 101 into a communist  :o

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2015, 12:42:00 PM »
haha  :)

I had tried to post a picture of it and thank you from my phone but it didn't work and then I forgot to do it again...

I'll instill appropriate views to the camera  ;)

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2015, 02:04:22 PM »
I never really liked using my 110 conversion because it was so clunky, but I sold it to someone in France and he shoots with it regularly! i have a few more ideas for conversions, just no time to do them. I'd really like to find a Russian Foton instant camera to convert.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Option 8

• 35mm
    • Polaroid Conversions
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2015, 04:03:40 PM »
I know there's also that complete shutter rework that gives you electronic speed selection. The camera doesn't even need to work for this one (as long as the shutter isn't rusted shut)

Yup, there totally is. Lets you keep the original lens and everything so the Portrait/Closeup kits still work, but also finally gives you control over the shutter speed and fstops. This is a what I recommend for a camera that has died but still looks good to go. I call it the Manual Option 3000!

And Auto to Manual conversions are a great way to keep using cameras who are otherwise relegated to the garbage because of broken lenses or other internals.
There are a lot of interesting and cool things that can keep your camera alive and kicking. A few examples

An old 110A/110B or 120 is a great camera to modify to either pack film, 4x5 or as I have (inspired by Nate) to 600SE type interchangeable backs.

110 conversions are a different beast altogether. Because you can really go to town on customizing it. And they are the most versatile for any type of conversion, including 600SE swappable backs. packfilm and/or 600SE

A 600SE type conversion is one of the few ways to use Instax or Impossible films on these machines.

If anyone ever has any questions about what they can do with their own machines, I am here to help.
Helping to keep Instant Photography alive, one camera, one user, one shot at a time.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2015, 01:28:24 AM »

Hey, that's a pretty neat conversion. I always thought Polaroid should have made more 185 than they ever did... How did you interface the external switch / pot to the timing circuit and maintain accuracy on the electronic shutter? Great stuff! Skj.

Option 8

• 35mm
    • Polaroid Conversions
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2015, 03:11:27 AM »
How did you interface the external switch / pot to the timing circuit and maintain accuracy on the electronic shutter? Great stuff! Skj.

I built a custom PCB.
Helping to keep Instant Photography alive, one camera, one user, one shot at a time.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2015, 08:05:04 AM »
I built a custom PCB.
Ah ha! So not using the existing light meter I suppose, but a simple 555-like timer function with switched intervals:

Cheap and easy too, to trigger the electronic shutter externally. Now that I've got a pile of film, and some old automatics it would be great to do the same. Thanks for the tip, and any other help would be great. Skj.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2015, 09:00:18 AM »
skorj, if you do one... make it go to eleven ;)
/jonas

Option 8

• 35mm
    • Polaroid Conversions
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2015, 03:38:49 PM »
Quote<blockquote>Cheap and easy too, to trigger the electronic shutter externally. Now that I've got a pile of film, and some old automatics it would be great to do the same. Thanks for the tip, and any other help would be great. Skj.</blockquote>

It uses a custom PCB and custom programmed CPU, which is not exactly inexpensive. The 555 thing was never reliable enough which is why it is cheap.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 08:35:53 PM by Option 8 »

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2015, 10:52:57 AM »
skorj, if you do one... make it go to eleven ;)

Ha bwa haa haaaa. The good thing about electronic timed shutters is you can make any speed you like. 1/11 no probs!

It uses a custom PCB and custom programmed CPU, which is not exactly inexpensive. The 555 thing was never reliable enough which is why it is cheap.
A CPU? That's pretty neat... Is it always on, consuming power, or just on when you trip the shutter? If so, what is the shutter lag? Also, where did you mount it, in the battery compartment or behind the face-plate?

Incidentally, the 555 series is supposedly one of the most stable & reliable microchips ever made, especially in monostable mode. Which is why they install millions of millions of them every year - still! Not bad for something from the 1970s... Though, I was never much good at getting them to do much more than make fake traffic lights. Good work. Skj.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 12:29:09 PM by Skorj »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2015, 02:50:40 PM »
A picaxe would aslo be a good choice since it's programmable through the USB port.
Then there's the single chip arduino... But I think it's more power hungry than the picaxe, though simpler to program.
Francois

Option 8

• 35mm
    • Polaroid Conversions
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2015, 02:58:27 PM »
Incidentally, the 555 series is supposedly one of the most stable & reliable microchips ever made, especially in monostable mode. Which is why they install millions of millions of them every year - still! Not bad for something from the 1970s... Though, I was never much good at getting them to do much more than make fake traffic lights. Good work. Skj.

Getting the 555 to do proper shutter times is a lot more work using analog components to change the timing for each setting. A programmed CPU is quicker and easier to "edit". Arduino is overkill and too big to fit snugly inside the shutter. Outside would work tho.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2015, 09:15:51 PM »
The thing is that the 555 relies of resistance to set the time delay. This is fine in a way but you have to calculate the proper resistance for every speed and fit resistors to the whole thing. On the other hand, a microcontroller can be set to use a specific shutter speed for either set resistance or using a pulse encoder like on my car radio.
Francois

Option 8

• 35mm
    • Polaroid Conversions
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2015, 09:33:49 PM »
The thing is that the 555 relies of resistance to set the time delay. This is fine in a way but you have to calculate the proper resistance for every speed and fit resistors to the whole thing. On the other hand, a microcontroller can be set to use a specific shutter speed for either set resistance or using a pulse encoder like on my car radio.

Yup. Precisely.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2015, 11:05:17 PM »
Agree both. Even with lower power resistors clustered around a multi-position rotary switch, it is not going to be easy... The CPU is a much better solution. Always on though, or just when you release the shutter? Are they fast enough to come on, read inputs, and time shutter all under one press? SKj.

Option 8

• 35mm
    • Polaroid Conversions
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2015, 02:26:00 AM »
From my webpage: "An LED lights up to tell you the shutter is ready to fire and turns off when the exposure is complete."

Its only on when the LED is lit.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2015, 09:42:42 AM »
I saw schlemmer, the guy behind the P6*6 3d-printed pinhole cameras has begun toying with using one of these https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing-trinket/introduction to control a shutter. seems like a cute lil bugger :)
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2015, 03:03:18 PM »
Adafruit makes some pretty nifty stuff.
Francois

Option 8

• 35mm
    • Polaroid Conversions
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2015, 03:33:41 PM »
Thats a cool little circuit, but jeez that is over kill just to control a shutter opening and closing.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2015, 08:57:20 PM »
Well... you could have it light-up some colored leds in sequence like a marquee at the same time....
Or have it do a development timer that buzzes using a piezo once the film is pulled...
Francois

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2015, 11:50:13 PM »
Great little device. Good size, USB capable, ahhh... the projects I can think of. Thanks for that! Skj.

Option 8

• 35mm
    • Polaroid Conversions
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2015, 02:43:52 AM »
Or have it do a development timer that buzzes using a piezo once the film is pulled...

Polaroid did this already in the 350, 360 and 450. :P

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2015, 01:57:52 PM »
Yeah, but just imagine adding such a useful feature to other cameras ;)
You could even add a thermometer to let you know it's too cold for instant film... And an exposure meter... And little blinking lights that serve no purpose whatsoever  ;D
Francois

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2015, 05:30:21 PM »
have LED that say smile, cheezu, etc!
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter