Author Topic: Photographica 2011 - 22 May  (Read 28919 times)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: Photographica 2011 - 22 May
« Reply #100 on: May 23, 2011, 12:36:23 AM »
Hey, Sapata, watch that Perutz stuff. When I was a kid in the 70's and couldn't afford anything better, I used to buy Perutz slide film as it was a fair bit cheaper than Kodachrome, Ilfochrome, Agfachrome and Fujichrome. I think it was made by (or owned by) Agfa but it had quite a pronounced green tint to shadows and dark areas. I grew to dislike it intensely and, eventually, refused to buy it anymore.

I'd be really interested to see the results.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #101 on: May 23, 2011, 12:38:08 AM »
Mauricio: you're going to love that Vito B. They need to have film in them to actually "work" since the shutter cocking is through the film sprockets. I know I have one too and just love it :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2011, 01:00:29 AM »
Hey, Sapata, watch that Perutz stuff. When I was a kid in the 70's and couldn't afford anything better, I used to buy Perutz slide film as it was a fair bit cheaper than Kodachrome, Ilfochrome, Agfachrome and Fujichrome. I think it was made by (or owned by) Agfa but it had quite a pronounced green tint to shadows and dark areas. I grew to dislike it intensely and, eventually, refused to buy it anymore.

I'd be really interested to see the results.
Thanks for the tip Paul... I've opened the box and the cartridge seems to be made of a very cheap plastic, I notice that you only the to unscrew the top to get access to the film. I've also found strange the "20 Aufnahmen" inscription... does that mean 20 exposures ?
Mauricio: you're going to love that Vito B. They need to have film in them to actually "work" since the shutter cocking is through the film sprockets. I know I have one too and just love it :)

Francois... I'm in love already ! It fits so perfectly in my hands... the weight... everything!

I know about the shutter as it works in the same way of my Vito II but thanks for the tip. I've already put a dummy film inside to test, all speeds are working perfectly including the self timer. Mine is the "Prontor SVS" model which is coupled with the aperture apparently... still figuring out how it works before running a film through. What's the green speeds on the right are for? I can't get access to that... It goes as far as B... broken mybe?

Mil Mascaras

« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2011, 08:18:39 AM »
I went to photographica very early (I bought some APX too, as almost everybody else) but had to rush out due to a work emergency and that was before I got to see anybody wearing a FW t-shirt. Hope you had a good time, I will try to show up if there's another meeting some other time.

One thing I'd like to say though is that for next year's photographica they should put a body scanner and refuse entry to anybody who hadn't had a shower in the last 12 hours.

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2011, 08:50:56 AM »
One thing I'd like to say though is that for next year's photographica they should put a body scanner and refuse entry to anybody who hadn't had a shower in the last 12 hours.

EWW!

Sadly I missed out as I had to wait for a lift back to London and we got stuck in traffic  :'(

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #105 on: May 23, 2011, 09:29:45 AM »
Sorry you didn't make it Suzi.

I think another Photographica award is in order:

Worst injury caused by an octogenarian camera collector

Third degree burns to the hand of Ken Binns (Ken182).  A generic 80yrs+ camera collector (in standard issue unwashed khaki gillet with pocket's bulging and enormous billingham hanging by side), barged Ken out of the way to get to a rare leikon viewflex, causing coffee spillage from the cup of steaming beverage held by said Filmwaster. 

Hope the hand isn't too sore Ken.
L.

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
« Reply #106 on: May 23, 2011, 09:40:05 AM »
Sorry you didn't make it Suzi.

I think another Photographica award is in order:

Worst injury caused by an octogenarian camera collector

Third degree burns to the hand of Ken Binns (Ken182).  A generic 80yrs+ camera collector (in standard issue unwashed khaki gillet with pocket's bulging and enormous billingham hanging by side), barged Ken out of the way to get to a rare leikon viewflex, causing coffee spillage from the cup of steaming beverage held by said Filmwaster. 

Hope the hand isn't too sore Ken.

Poor Ken!

Bummed to have missed it but not disappointed to have missed out on the musty smells everyone keeps mentioning.. I can't even go in vintage clothing stores without gagging at the musty smells!

What spoils did everyone pick up?

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #107 on: May 23, 2011, 10:14:30 AM »
Great to meet everyone yesterday. I did make it to the pub but spent most of it downstairs listening to Stoo Batchelor and Jon Butler having a rant... a very enjoyable and funny rant I might add...

I missed out out on a very nice Isolette III at only £35 as I'd spotted another just a few tables away where the seller wanted £199.00!!!! by the time I retraced my steps it had gone! Still I came away with a pack of the Impossible project B&W film for my SX-70

Can relate to some of the odd characters there especially the Saga louts... and they bang on about the young people being so rude!

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #108 on: May 23, 2011, 12:08:07 PM »
"Saga Louts".....love it!!  :)

Difficult to get too uptight about them as that could be me (sooner than I think). However, they certainly knew how to muscle their way to the bargains by the shortest possible route....

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #109 on: May 23, 2011, 03:05:49 PM »
Mugshots of most of us:

L-R: Euge, Lara & Paul (The Late Developers), Thil & DS

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

L-R: Heather & Mr Sully, Miller, Aussie Ken (182) & Thom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

L-R: Nigel, Miles, Salvo & Leon

I missed Sapata, Vicky (my phone battery died as I pressed 'Go' for her mugshot) and 4 or 5 others. Sorry.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 03:09:19 PM by ed.wenn »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #110 on: May 23, 2011, 03:56:31 PM »
Francois... I'm in love already ! It fits so perfectly in my hands... the weight... everything!

I know about the shutter as it works in the same way of my Vito II but thanks for the tip. I've already put a dummy film inside to test, all speeds are working perfectly including the self timer. Mine is the "Prontor SVS" model which is coupled with the aperture apparently... still figuring out how it works before running a film through. What's the green speeds on the right are for? I can't get access to that... It goes as far as B... broken mybe?
Mine has the Prontor SVS shutter too. No coupling on mine though... and no green lettering either...
I wouldn't consider it broken as there probably is some trick to access those (hidden switch maybe)...
Mine has a small XVM switch on the left with colored spots... maybe that triggers it in some way...
Francois

Miller

• Sheet Film
« Reply #111 on: May 23, 2011, 07:37:03 PM »
Well I took no prisoners and released no hostages during my Call of Duty at PG 2011...

Here we go in order of kills:-

Polaroid 550 4x5 back
Smena 8M
Polaroid 73 film back
Polaroid 667 film x 9
Polaroid Studio Express with 73 film back
Polaroid 73 film back
Polaroid 664 x 2
Polaroid timer with temperature
Polaroid 350 camera
Hoya 52mm yellow filter
52mm lens cap and Nikon body cap
Kodak Gold holdall to get the goodies home...

Total just over £80.00 the lot and my lad just freaked for the retro uber cool Kodak Holdall...   ;)

Mlr
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 07:43:57 PM by Miller »
https://www.ishottheimage.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miller23/

I decided to enlarge the Polaroids, because, as the wolf said to Red Riding Hood, “all the better to see you with, my dear.” Mrs Helmut Newton

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #112 on: May 23, 2011, 07:40:10 PM »
Ed, love the pix of the FW's!!

And Miller, you got all that for 80 dollars?!!! WOW!!!
mojave

Miller

• Sheet Film
« Reply #113 on: May 23, 2011, 07:53:14 PM »
About 130 USD... I'll have a play and move most of it down the road as I cannot be bothered to hoard anymore. Just enjoy the kill and the hard bargaining, which is quite easy compared to Kingston, Jamaica. LOL

Rgds
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 07:57:51 PM by Miller »

I decided to enlarge the Polaroids, because, as the wolf said to Red Riding Hood, “all the better to see you with, my dear.” Mrs Helmut Newton

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #114 on: May 23, 2011, 08:15:49 PM »
That Smena box looks really good!

I bet I could do something nice if I had a good quality scan of it :)
Francois

Miller

• Sheet Film
« Reply #115 on: May 23, 2011, 09:37:41 PM »
 ;)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #116 on: May 23, 2011, 10:31:34 PM »
Wow! That was fast!
Thanks Miller :)

I might retrace it and make it into a t-shirt or something :)
Francois

Miller

• Sheet Film
« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2011, 10:57:44 PM »
PM me your e-mail address and I'll send a larger file... Personally, I'm rather fussy as regards attire but I'd rock this one... Great idea and keep me in mind... I'll also send the flipside which is the same graphics but in english, basically rock both sides of the shirt flipmode.

Sod it, I gotta get one in black on some Fruit of the Loom heavyweight.

Rgds
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 11:01:06 PM by Miller »

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #118 on: May 23, 2011, 11:34:32 PM »
yeah miller totally owned with headshots galore and a killstreak of 12?! mad skillz

the pola 350 looks lovely, I have a 320 myself, deffo lower down the scale. + mega jealous on the film!

photographica spoils by Thomo_Stoneo, on Flickr

here are my spoils, the bargain beast and some film

sekor C 90mm f3.8 lens £50
mamiya RB67 Pro S body £50
mamiya RB67 Pro S 120 back £45
Hoya PRO1 digital 77mm UV filter £9!
and we all know the apx was a quid a roll :-)

happy days,

altho the lens seems to be faulty so will have to send that off for repair :-( but if the price is right I still will have saved a bundle of cash

ooooh in addition I bought the mamiya polaroid back with a pack of polapan film for £34 on the bay :-) have a few packs of fp100b sitting and waiting to be shot in this camera aswel now, courtesy of Dzone2 on ebay, very affordable and bloody quick delivery from hong kong, can highly recommend them!

Mike (happyforest)

• Sheet Film
« Reply #119 on: May 23, 2011, 11:42:53 PM »
er don't think ??? that film will fit in that camera ;D

Mike  (only jealous really)

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #120 on: May 23, 2011, 11:54:43 PM »
haha bit of gaffa tape I will be shooting sprocket holes in it in no time :-P

euge...

• Flickr
« Reply #121 on: May 24, 2011, 12:47:51 AM »
echoing everybody else,it was nice to put faces to names.I got a 28 mm lens for my fujica stx1 ,which I had been looking for, and a fujica ax1, which I wasnt looking for,since the dealer wouldnt split the kit.Combined with an stx1 instruction book and an 80-200 zoom all for 30 quid made me happy.
Its a good job it was 2 days before my payday rather than 2 days after.

Ed ,did we ever find out how much that mugshot camera cost?

salvo

• salvo toscano
« Reply #122 on: May 24, 2011, 09:27:12 AM »
that's definitely a want!

......... and make it into a t-shirt or something :)

I can only echo what already said a good enjoyable day, great catching up and meeting a few new faces.
No fancy cameras, lenses or film sadly for me, but i went for a needed f-stop enlarger timer that will be tested today (having seen some prices on that auction site it looks like it was a decent bargain). Due to appalling decision making skills i missed a sekonic spot meter.
Again great day out and looking forward to the next.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #123 on: May 26, 2011, 11:26:56 PM »
Wow! That was fast!
Thanks Miller :)

I might retrace it and make it into a t-shirt or something :)
Feels strange quoting myself :)

After Miller sent me the files, I did a short re-trace of the image (I loved the Russian one). Not perfect but good enough (I did it quick). Print on T-shirt transfer paper, iron onto a plain white tee (because that's what I had on hand) and voila!
Francois

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
« Reply #124 on: May 27, 2011, 12:04:37 AM »
I love it !!!!

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #125 on: May 27, 2011, 12:06:05 AM »
Bargain of the day (for me) is Thom's RB67, lens and back. That is such a cool camera at a give-away price.

I went with the intention of picking up a couple of things but ended up with something I've wanted for years - a Rolleiflex. One stood out on a trade stand (no particular reason) but with a bit of haggling and trading in an old and seldom-used Hassy 250mm lens, I managed to get a great deal on a 3.5t K8-T2 model (made between July 1961 and August 1966) Mine is mid series, so I'm guessing 1964-ish.

Having spent the last couple of days poring over it, I can't see even as much as a missing flake of paint, let alone a dent, ding, scratch or even a bright mark on the exposed metal bits. Internally, it is entirely dust-free, all shutter speeds seem fine (including the self-timer) and even the meter seems to be working. I've run a roll of Fomapan 400 through it and hope to have the results tomorrow.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #126 on: May 27, 2011, 05:59:13 AM »
damn. I wish I could have been with! maybe one day.. :D

ed, love the ending with a sole shot of leon staring hahaha xD
/jonas

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #127 on: May 27, 2011, 06:43:25 AM »
Nice shirt Francois!
mojave

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #128 on: May 27, 2011, 07:38:30 AM »

Francois - Dam you is fast.  I've got the files off miller too, agreed the Cyrillic kicks the Latins arse every time.

Nice Job Chum.

DS

• Peel Apart
  • I don't look like my avatar
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #129 on: May 27, 2011, 09:02:11 AM »
Nice shirt F!

All in all a great day and it was fun to confirm that many of the filmwasters were real people and not robots

Think the best deal by far there was the APX at a £1 a pop. Sadly the Ikoflex I bought is probably beyond repair- the shutter wasn't working when I bought and I assume that it just needed a bit of a clean as per usual- alas, no as when I opened up the shutter there were all kinds of bits missing or broken. Somebody stripped it for parts and put it nicely back together again. You win some and you lose some I suppose.

So- anyone got any ideas about where I can get a spare prontor shutter? Or what to do / make with a wrecked TLR?

Mike (happyforest)

• Sheet Film
« Reply #130 on: May 27, 2011, 09:39:26 AM »
Francois

Nice shirt.

DS how about a pinhole camera?

Mike

Mil Mascaras

« Reply #131 on: May 28, 2011, 08:37:09 PM »
Well I took no prisoners and released no hostages during my Call of Duty at PG 2011...

Here we go in order of kills:-

Polaroid 550 4x5 back
Smena 8M
Polaroid 73 film back
Polaroid 667 film x 9
Polaroid Studio Express with 73 film back
Polaroid 73 film back
Polaroid 664 x 2
Polaroid timer with temperature
Polaroid 350 camera
Hoya 52mm yellow filter
52mm lens cap and Nikon body cap
Kodak Gold holdall to get the goodies home...

Total just over £80.00 the lot and my lad just freaked for the retro uber cool Kodak Holdall...   ;)

Mlr

Today a friend drove me through shoreditch and there was a guy with a little kid getting restless because dad was taking too long to take the picture of a mural as cars were getting on the way. He was using THIS camera. Was that you???