Author Topic: Kodak instant film  (Read 9035 times)

Mil Mascaras

Kodak instant film
« on: May 27, 2011, 08:11:24 PM »
Coming back from the dry cleaners I just picked up some Kodak Instant film from the 80s from the local charity shop. Unfortunately, they didn't have any cameras.

3 packages are "Kodak instant color film" for use in all Kodak Instant Cameras except KODAMATIC and TRIMPRINT Instant Cameras.

3 packages are Kodamatic instant color film Trimprint, for use in Kodamatic Instant Cameras.

All of them expired in the 80s.

I have no idea what to do with this. I have to do some research but anyone here have experience w Kodak cameras? I'd be willing to pick up something cheap as long as it's not a tank, but when thinking Kodak instant cameras I immediately think of bulky ugly cameras.

Alternatively I might sell them if these go for "Impossible Prices"

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
Re: Kodak instant film
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 08:45:49 PM »
I picked up a boxed, imaculate kodamatic 930 from a local market. you can have it for a working mamiya sekor C lens for my RB67 (one i bought with it at photographica is faulty, will be posting a thread pleading for help soon :-P) nah only kidding, name your price. a fun trade would be cool

its a pretty cool looking camera, but have never shot it, due to the severe lack of film. I know that fuji made an instant film that fits in it too but that was only available in japan but was only discontinued last year! around the time of the fp100b discontinuation i think. may be able to find some on the bay. probably will be impossible prices :-P

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 08:59:13 PM »
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 10:28:06 PM »
I also have one, a Kodak EK160-EF, which works.

If for some reason Thom's doesn't fit the bill, let me know and it is yours for a small trade (or you can just have it if you don't have anything spare).

but any results must be posted here of course  :)

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 10:39:03 PM »
Wow, I haven't thought about, or seen, those Kodak instant cameras in a LONG time. I remember them as being huge and clunky. I worked at a camera store at the time, and they were on the shelf next to the SX-70s and weren't anywhere near as popular.

Kodak lost a huge lawsuit to Polaroid over those cameras & film. It was over a billion dollars and they had to stop making them. But they weren't as good as Polaroid anyway, though no telling if they would have improved if they'd kept at it.

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 04:53:56 AM »
Not really kodak, but I wrote some fuji instant film articles a while back; but have been adding and making revisions but there is some kodak info in there that many do not know about.

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Fujifilm_instant_photography

I have yet to start a kodak instant film history wiki.

but some time lines
* polaroid ask kodak to manufacture their instant film 1940's
* polaroid decided to make their own film for sx70 late 1960's
* polaroid decided to make all their own film
* kodak had roll film and pack film production knowledge
* kodak decided to make instant film; pack film
* kodak saw sx70 scrapped plans on releasing pack film
* fuji researching instant film; knows kodak was also interested in making instant
* kodak released "kodak instant" in 1976.
* fuji bases their system on kodaks to make it more standardized, but uses their own chemicals and film.
* polaroid sues kodak
* Fuji enters the instant film market
* polaroid sues fujifilm
* fuji decide to keep their instant system fotorama in japan only.
* Kodak makes Kodamatic instant system
* fuji enters into a relationship with polaroid;
* kodak looses to polaroid.
* polaroid drops lawsuit against fuji.
* fuji continues making instant film for their home market.
* polaroid has no problems with fujifilm making pack film.
* kodak is force to remove instant film from market. buyers can return them for coupons to disk system or stock options.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 04:56:33 AM by tkmedia »
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 12:08:32 PM »
Very interesting timeline tkmedia. I was a supplier to Polaroid UK about the time that Kodak lost the court case. The damages received from Kodak was shared out between all the Polaroid staff globally. If my memory serves me correctly the marketing manager I knew at the time was able to buy a very expensive sofa which she thanked Kodak for everytime she sat on it!

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.