Author Topic: Photographica 2011 - 22 May  (Read 28920 times)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Photographica 2011 - 22 May
« on: March 06, 2011, 09:12:28 AM »
Photographica looms again (where did the year go?)

Anyone up for it?  My cash is burning a hole in my pocket already.

http://www.nanites.co.uk/pccgb/Photographica%2001.htm

L.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
Re: Photographica 2011 - 22 May
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 10:24:31 AM »
Yep, I'm going to be there. Maybe we could research a cafe locally so we could meet up for a bit of breakie beforehand?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

wblati

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 02:30:49 PM »
ill be there - hopefully with a lot more cash.

why dont they do this more often, then once a year?!

salvo

• salvo toscano
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 09:24:27 AM »
not been in one of these events in centuries.... maybe time to go again... maybe

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 02:36:25 PM »
Tempted.. very temped.. uh oh..

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 03:37:06 PM »
i am so envious! Suzi and Nigel..this would be cool if you guys could meet up before I come over in November ..then we could all get together then also!

DS

• Peel Apart
  • I don't look like my avatar
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 04:58:12 PM »
Looks like fun & it would greatly amuse me to meet some fellow wasters (wastrels?). I'll see if I can make it down from Yorkshire...

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 11:58:04 PM »
Barring un-get-out-of-able family commitments which may yet appear, I'll be there for sure.

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 01:44:06 PM »
Will do my best. Am beyond penniless, but might rob a bank prior to the 22nd.

harragan

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 08:56:26 AM »
I'll probably be there.  It'll be great to meet up and the idea of breakfast always goes down well!

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 09:05:41 AM »
i am so envious! Suzi and Nigel..this would be cool if you guys could meet up before I come over in November ..then we could all get together then also!

I've put it in my diary.. my bank manager won't be happy..

Have you booked dates for November yet? I'm hoping to nip over to Paris Photo during November (9-13th) http://www.parisphoto.fr/?lg=en  ;D

Mil Mascaras

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 08:51:26 PM »
Unless something gets in between I will also go. I have missed ALL of them since I moved to London, though!

That Parisphoto deal also looks like fun and I am looking for an excuse to go back to Paris.

Ken B: eyes, I just do eyes.

• Sheet Film
  • In email, no one can hear you scream
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 07:38:18 PM »
Oh sweet memories of last year and my Zeiss Ikon which I still love and use to this very day

Best go along again this year.

Nigel - capital idea young man, a breakfast, yes a capital idea.
Age can weary me when it can keep the hell up

http://www.kensphotoblog2013.com/

http://www.artybollocks.com/

thil

• 35mm PHOTO bureau
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 11:25:37 AM »
In my calender. I'll be there for sure.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 04:26:29 PM »
looks like we'll have quite a turn out. Cafe for breakfast sounds like a good idea to me.
L.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 09:22:29 PM »
OK, so this is looking really promising. Hopefully we'll get a lot of people to go along. Personally I can't wait. Maybe Miller could put in an appearance minus the walking stick this year ;)

I've been to 4 of the last 5 Photographicas and am conceited enough to think this post may therefore be of interest to those planning to come along (or thinking about it), but who have never been before. So here are some points and pointers in the interests of everyone having a good day and maximising their time by focusing on what's important to them on the day:

• Other than the entry fee, you don't HAVE to buy anything so a lack of funds shouldn't put you off attending. I've had no disposable income for so long now, that I don't even think of Photographica as a place to buy stuff and have to remind myself that that's actually what it's all about. For example, my total spend last year was £2.99. I bought a new rear lens cap for one of my Bronnys.
  • If you do want to buy stuff though, I would suggest getting there early-ish. It's not like the Harrods sale where thousands of locust-like shoppers tear through the merchandise in the 30 minutes following the doors opening, but by the mid afternoon some stalls start packing up, so there's definitely less choice.
  • Conversely, if you're going along to get a taste of the event and meet some other FWers, but aren't particularly interested in buying stuff, I would most heartily recommend staying until the mid/late PM because the room empties out and is a lot easier to navigate. I love the last hour or so; just strolling around a huge room filled with amazing equipment and crazy people, thinking, "Film cameras. Lots of film cameras. How cool!" while everyone else heads for the door. It's my favourite time of the event.
  • If you're in any way associated with this website, the chances are, you will be filmed for the subsequent video podcast and possibly be prepared to answer a stupid question or 30 posed by me  ;)
  • The wearing of Filmwasters t-shirts (as pioneered in 2010 by Nigel) is strongly encouraged. Aside from the cachet of being so on 'the inside' that your ears will bleed from pride, wearers of Filmwasters t-shirts will receive 45% discount on all Hasselblad or Linhof equipment from any stallholder in the room *
  • If it's a hot day be prepared for "Photo Man Smell" (and I use the gender very specifically). There's no escaping the fact that most photo geeks are bearded, middle-aged, overweight men who give off a certain collective 'aroma' once they're packed in their hundreds into a confined space with loads of exciting camera gear on display for them to fondle. Once you've been in the room for 20 minutes you don't notice it, but it's hard not to notice it when you first turn up  :o  :D
  • Salvo: you have to go. It's over a year since Leon and I last saw you and we need a catch up. Please clear your calendar and come along.
  • Photographica is so hip it's not even vaguely hip. It's tradition versus fashion. It's craft versus superficiality. It's a people-watching exercise par excellence and it's a truly joyous occasion It appeals to me on nearly every level and, as a Filmwaster, it fills me with enough "Ooomph!" to rip through another year, safe in the knowledge that film and film cameras are here to stay.

* Not actually true. Your ears won't bleed and you won't get any discount. But I will probably buy you a beer/tea/coffee/cherry brandy.

And if you're one of the 46 people in the world who haven't seen the most recent Filmwasters video podcast there's a feature on last year's Photographica. It starts at around 15:20 into the show. Enjoy:

04: Beating the Slump - November 2010
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 09:32:54 PM by ed.wenn »

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2011, 07:30:41 PM »
Excellent, it sounds like it's shaping up to be a great day out and I'm glad my slightly embarrassing sporting of the Flimwasters t-shirt hasn't ruled me out of coming this year. :)

I've carried out some extensive, but largely fruitless, cafe research. I did get over excited when I realised the Regency Cafe (somewhere I've always wanted to visit) is just around the corner.

http://russelldavies.typepad.com/ateaandathink/2004/06/regency_cafe_17.html

Unfortunately they don't open on Sundays.  :'( :'(

Nor does Tony's, also near by. Although they did apologise for not doing so when I phoned them - that's service! If anyone can recommend a suitable greasy spoon, then please do. The Google hasn't been much help so far.

Nigel

website

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 10:52:05 PM »
Funnily enough, last year I asked the guys at Square Mile Coffee (via Twitter) where a good cuppa Joe was to be had near Victoria and they put me onto some hipster coffee cart which operates in the area, but then I found out it wasn't there on Sundays.

This doesn't help you in any way, but I thought I'd mention it for reasons of solidarity.
 ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 10:53:45 PM by ed.wenn »

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 10:16:03 AM »
Just seen reference to "Filmwasters T-Shirts". Are these still available? If so, as I am rather "full of frame" do they go to XXXL...?? I'd love to get my hands on a couple if they're still on sale.

I'm also going to try to get to the event and will use liberal amounts of soap and deodorant to avoid the "Photo Man Smell" which, from the way you describe it, is the absolute opposite of "The Lynx Effect". ;D
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 10:35:06 AM »
Hi LD - The logo was made available for you to use. Here's an earlier post with the download and an explanation.

http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=958.0

I used Zazzle and was very pleased with the quality of the shirt and the printing.

Of course if you get one you have to post a shot of you wearing it!  ;)

website

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 10:56:32 AM »
Thanks for that Nigel. Now downloaded and residing safely in my hard drive.

Just checked out Zazzle and they also do BIG sizes. Birthday next week, so I might just treat myself to a few as some of my old tee-shirts are a bit "worn"...

As for the photo - it's often been said that I have the perfect face - for radio!
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 12:07:05 PM »
LD: I enjoyed the Lynx Effect observation. I'd say that pretty much sums it up :D ;D It would be great to meet you, so do let us know if you're able to make it down to Photographica this year.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2011, 12:18:02 PM »
I picked this up the other day ..

website

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2011, 01:57:33 PM »
aargh, why don't he have these where I live?! haha :D

thanks for the link to the video, ed. I just thought about it when I read the topic again - any plans to get this years meet-up into a vod/podcast?
/jonas

Miller

• Sheet Film
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2011, 07:50:02 PM »
Ed

I'll be there minus the crutches though after today's Sunbeam Pioneer Motorcycle Run from Epsom to Brighton I'm glad to be home in one piece.

Anyway, I work in Vicky so I'll look out for a Sunday spot that's open.

Rgds

Mlr
https://www.ishottheimage.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miller23/

I decided to enlarge the Polaroids, because, as the wolf said to Red Riding Hood, “all the better to see you with, my dear.” Mrs Helmut Newton

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2011, 04:22:31 PM »
"I work in Vicky"

I had to read that a few times to understand it :)

Jon Butler

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2011, 09:35:21 PM »
If I'm free on that day I'll be there, I'm after an old L/Format portrait lens.
Jon.
JON BUTLER - CREATIVE IMAGERY

I Prefer it in the Dark.   http://real-silver-prints.com/

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, 02:56:07 PM »
Well, I think that I am home so will try my hardest to be there. I may have to make a final decision  closer to the date!

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2011, 06:32:50 PM »
Great stuff, Phil. It would be nice to meet finally :-)

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2011, 08:45:49 AM »
Bit late to the party but it looks like I can probably join you guys if that's okay :) Didn't manage to get to Photographica last year, might as well try this year. Trying to remember if they have similar stands with magic lantern slides and old photos like the tiny camera fair up here does. Last time I went to a camera fair, I ended up with goodies of old slides of weird medical proddings :D
Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2011, 05:44:34 PM »
i'd like to come just to meet you all and drink tea :). i'll see if i can nearer the time too.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2011, 05:43:09 PM »
excellent - looks like there is going to be hoards of us!
L.

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2011, 09:19:37 PM »
Right I'm booking my train ticket from Nottingham as soon as I get paid, I will save every penny I can spare so I'm loaded for the day :-P from now until may 21st I will buy no more cameras! Only film... lots of film.

We have very little like this (that i can find) in my area, this is basically like some sort of wonderful dream come true.

I may even get my silk screen out and have a crack at a home made filmwasters t-shirt :-)

would love to meet some people IRL.... *did i seriously just use that expression*

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2011, 10:25:16 AM »
They call me the thread killer....

whats up guys did I over enthuse slightly?! :-P

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2011, 10:42:20 AM »
It looks like, all going to plan, there could be a maximum of 19 'wasters on the day.  Incredible.  Maybe we should be hiring our own hall for a FW conference?

L.

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2011, 11:41:54 AM »
I'm still trying to remember the cafe I always go to after the show. There is one open around there but I can't remember *where* for the life of me... checking google.

(taken with my finetta)

Actually that may help, i see a pub in the background...

Ahha, I have found it! But the only review of it online says it's scummy (it wasn't the last two times we went, though, wasn't any problems that I found)
Cafe Hamlet, 12 Artillery Row... kind of on the corner of Greencoat Place and Artillery Row.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 11:45:31 AM by Heather »
Heather
ooh shiny things!

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2011, 11:44:40 AM »
I'm still trying to remember the cafe I always go to after the show. There is one open around there but I can't remember *where* for the life of me... checking google.

(taken with my finetta)

Actually that may help, i see a pub in the background...

Heather - Miller is FW local rep maybe he can help?

website

Miller

• Sheet Film
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2011, 02:33:13 PM »
Okay, I went for a recon’ around Vicky this afternoon  ;) … As most of us will be alighting from Vicky Station and using Vauxhall Bridge Road en route I’ve found two spots that are open on a Sunday on the V.B. Road.

The Buddah Box café next door to The Queen Mother Sport Centre so easy for any rookie to spot and get directions if needed.

The Jugged Hare which is a Fullers pub virtually on the corner with Rochester Row..

The pub is open from 12.00 which may represent a problem for early birds but the Buddah is open from 9.00.

Lastly, I strayed away from the usual Starbucks, Costa Coffee spots as not my cup of frappuccino or whatever…

Rgds

Mlr

I decided to enlarge the Polaroids, because, as the wolf said to Red Riding Hood, “all the better to see you with, my dear.” Mrs Helmut Newton

Miller

• Sheet Film
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2011, 06:39:25 PM »
Well, me and Heather met up at the Potters Bar fair earlier today and hopefully this is a taster of thing to come...

Picked up all these toys for about £80.00 (not including the Polaroid 340 camera shown for the Kaligar lens and viewfinder)...

Happy days....

Mlr
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 06:43:13 PM by Miller »

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2011, 03:45:20 PM »
Nice to see you picking up some goodies at the pre-show  ;) Nothing like getting in early.

Hw was the Potter's Bar fair? Any good?

Also, thanks for the recce around Victoria. Is/was the cafe next to the sports centre called Nourish? I had a look on Google maps and there's a healthy eating Thai place called Nourish immediately to the right of the sports centre:

Nourish Cafe
223 Vauxhall Bridge Road
London
SW1V 1EL
020 7828 0087 ‎

It looks great, but maybe a bit pokey. If you think there's enough room then I'm more than happy to meet there - assuming we're starting earlier this year as has been suggested. I'm no fan of corporate coffee either, so am happy to avoid those places too.

Otherwise, if no-one's going to get to Victoria before noon, the pub is possibly a better starting point if there are going to be as many of us as I think there will.

Thoughts, please everyone :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 03:48:23 PM by ed.wenn »

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2011, 04:03:15 PM »
I'm a little confused is Buddha Box now called Nourish? Or is that somewhere else entirely? The Thai healthy eating thing is all very well but I just saw the pre-Photographica vibe to be a bit more old-school greasy spoon (otherwise it's in danger of sounding a bit hipster, isn't it?).

Nourish does look a bit small. As a side note I would have thought google would have got their technology down so we could get a full 3-d tour by now not stuck with this rather flat 2-d image!

I was sort of up for getting there a bit earlier than pub lunch, but I'll be guided by the crowd.

(this is not a digital image by-the-way!)

website

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2011, 07:00:54 AM »

Hw was the Potter's Bar fair? Any good?

Well we nearly freaked out totally at there being no one in the side room  :o  :o Then we were told that it was due to it being Easter hols so not so many of the vendors turned up and so they decided to shuffle everyone into the main hall. And they'll be back at the next fair (and I assume Photographica too) Phew!

Otherwise not too bad. I found a giant box of type 80 film but I have no type 80 cameras :( It also had 1 pack of spectra film in it (again, they managed to find the only film I do not have cameras for :/)

I got away with 8 glass slides* (which I've not scanned yet) and a slightly expensive oddity of a US box brownie in green in perfect condition... except for missing a handle which I'll probably make a functional replica based on the other brownies I have.

*Only two were similar medical themed as before, then 2 holiday snaps from the late 40s and a few more random things.
Heather
ooh shiny things!

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2011, 01:53:05 PM »
Heather: Thanks for the review. It's typical about the film being the wrong type, isn't it. Happens to me too.

Nigel: Totally with you re the intended vibe, but Sundays are a pain when it comes to greasy spoons. It makes no sense to me at all, but it's harder finding one that's open on a Sunday. My assumption also was that we'd be meeting up before noon, but there's often a difference between people's intentions and the final situation. I live about 5 miles from Victoria so it's easy for me to be flexible on this one. Was waiting to see what the consensus was.

Miller

• Sheet Film
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2011, 02:02:40 PM »
Correct...

Two greasy spoons (International Filmwasters must wonder what a greasy is) informed me they do not open on Sundays. I suppose their type of client is not around on the sabbath... Not a greasy eater or tea bag drinker myself and I normally bring sandwiches and buy a bottled drink.

Nourish appears to be called Buddah Box now and an early start suits me as the early bird gets the spoils...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 03:39:20 PM by Miller »

salvo

• salvo toscano
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2011, 02:09:39 PM »
........ My assumption also was that we'd be meeting up before noon, but there's often a difference between people's intentions and the final situation. I live about 5 miles from Victoria so it's easy for me to be flexible on this one. Was waiting to see what the consensus was.
I was planning getting to London before noon anyway and grab a bite there somewhere or bringing my own panino. Pretty flexible and very happy to meet anybody getting there before noon.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2011, 02:13:09 PM »
I'd prefer an early start than later ...
L.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2011, 11:51:18 PM »
...an early start suits me as the early bird gets the spoils...

Good point. Let's make it a 3PM start then, and I'll make sure to be there as the doors open to nab any decent deals  :)

But seriously, folks. What do we mean by 'early'? Doors open at 10AM. Anyone going to get there for then? One suggestion I could make is why not arrange a meet for around 12 or 1PM at the pub which would allow people to visit the show at any point prior to that to browse, buy, agonise, lust, breathe in the 'man smell' and then take an hour out in the pub before heading back for the quieter PM session (or heading home....or staying in the pub)?

That might work better than trying to get everyone together beforehand. There's a cafe in the hall itself, but I can't see us getting everyone round a table like last time (I assume there will be more of us this year?).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 11:58:08 PM by ed.wenn »

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2011, 11:09:28 AM »
I'm for going at 10AM. Seriously, it gets too quiet in the afternoon in my limited experience, vendors start packing up at 2PM sometimes, I think.
Heather
ooh shiny things!

Jon Butler

« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2011, 11:32:45 AM »
I'll be there for a 10am start and the pub afterwards.
J.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 11:36:31 AM by JON BUTLER »
JON BUTLER - CREATIVE IMAGERY

I Prefer it in the Dark.   http://real-silver-prints.com/

harragan

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2011, 08:57:53 AM »
My plan was to get there early doors.  Happy to meet up before, during and after as long as it's not too late.