Author Topic: Your most disappointing camera?  (Read 22572 times)

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
Your most disappointing camera?
« on: May 10, 2013, 08:17:01 PM »
What is your most disappointing camera and why? It should be one you have bought and found disappointing, rather than one you just don't like the look of, so have never used.

I'll start. This should get the post going:

Leica M6 – just couldn't bond with it.

Leica R series lenses; 35-70 and 80-200. Both fantastic lenses, but had focusing ball bearings jump out of their housings making focus stiff and then impossible. Both only used lightly, never dropped. Reliability wise, just not good enough for the money they cost. Picture wise, pin sharp – they are fantastic. But I'm still disappointed with my Leica ‘experience’ as marketing people now call it.

And before anybody says I have unrealistic expectations, I'm the bloke who has just bought a Fuji Nexia Q1 APS camera for a few quid. One went just this week on eBay for 99p. And I love it!

Over to you…
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
Re: Your most disappointing camera?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 08:50:57 PM »
zap hard to believe that you weren't fond of the M6, I know I would.

I had a Canonet QL-17. Posted some shots from it here before. But the camera didn't do it for me. I liked the usage and the ergonomics of the camera but the glass just wasnt what I was looking for. Very soft and unusable wide open, rangefinder was constantly out of wack. All around unreliable camera. Kind of sad. I wanted to love it and I gave it every chance I could but managed to sell it for a cool $80 bill. Ive never looked back.

Untitled by nownownownow, on Flickr

geoffgeoffp

• 35mm
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 08:53:52 PM »
Many years ago I changed my Contax IIIA outfit for a comprehensive Leica M2 one. Like you, I simply didn't bond with it at all.Luckily it was all bought duty free as I was working overseas at the time,altho still a hefty price for disappointment !

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 09:06:51 PM »
I know this is going to make me unpopular with some but the Yashica-Mat 124G. Having owned a Lubitel 166u for a while, and loved it, I wanted a proper grown up medium format camera and managed to get a near mint Mat on the bay (I know) for a great price. I loved the physical thing but I just couldn't shoot with it. I tried and tried and can honestly say I never took a shot I was happy with. I sold it for what I paid for it, so that was fine. I've still got the Lubitel and I still love it!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 09:12:39 PM »
zap hard to believe that you weren't fond of the M6, I know I would.

I had a Canonet QL-17. Posted some shots from it here before. But the camera didn't do it for me. I liked the usage and the ergonomics of the camera but the glass just wasnt what I was looking for. Very soft and unusable wide open, rangefinder was constantly out of wack. All around unreliable camera. Kind of sad. I wanted to love it and I gave it every chance I could but managed to sell it for a cool $80 bill. Ive never looked back.

Funny you mention that. While disappointed would be overstating it, my limited experience with my QL19 (same body, but with a 45mm five-element f/1.9 lens) has been surprisingly underwhelming. The ergonomics are good, the camera is quite capable and works perfectly, and I like the pictures I've taken with it, but it just seems somewhat nebulous. I can't explain why, but when I use it there's nothing special about it; perhaps that's exactly what they were trying to design - a camera that just worked without any drama. I could say the same about my Olympus PEN EES-2. I want to like both of these cameras, but they're not holding up their end of the relationship.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 09:26:07 PM »
^ I really tried to love it and welcome it into the family but it was just not holding up its end of the stick.

HOWEVER, I had a Canonet 28 that I sold to mcduff and that camera was much, much better. I put a test roll through it and enjoyed shooting with it very much.

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 09:36:27 PM »
I know this is going to make me unpopular with some but the Yashica-Mat 124G. I've still got the Lubitel and I still love it!

My 124 was my first TLR, I like it a lot. But it also has lots of misc problems. I tried finding various Yashica, Mamiya, Minolta, Rollei replacements, and even an identical better condition model. But I always return to my flawed first one.
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 09:42:19 PM »
Oh boy! I must have drawerfulls of them!
But the Minolta AF-C comes to mind. The autofocus uses a small LED to indicate that it's got hold on the focus... but you can't always see it when it's very bright.
But since the lens is so sharp and that it's the same size as an LCA, I kept it.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 09:45:05 PM »
Not at all, Nigel, I too could not get on with my Yashica 124-G.  I'd had some other Yashicamat previously and figured it would be a great upgrade, but anything that sounds like a coffee grinder but doesn't actually grind coffee was bound to leave me disappointed.  Near mint condition too, but it had to go.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 09:45:28 PM »
^ I really tried to love it and welcome it into the family but it was just not holding up its end of the stick.

HOWEVER, I had a Canonet 28 that I sold to mcduff and that camera was much, much better. I put a test roll through it and enjoyed shooting with it very much.

What was different about the 28 that made you like it better?
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

cidereye

• 35mm
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 09:48:33 PM »
Contax G1 because (naturally) the pathetic small viewfinder. Loved the G2 though & super lenses.

And also the original Canon F1 too, wanted one since I was a teenager (I owned an EF then and lusted for the pro F1) and finally bought one about 3 years back & didn't like it one bit. A heavy, awkward tank. Sold on straight away.

Ordinal

• chasing daisies...
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 10:02:09 PM »
Lomography Belair. It sounded like the best thing ever, I pre-ordered and even got other people to, and then... well. Just doesn't really work properly. I think I'll eBay it.

I've been a bit disappointed with the mju-ii I got as well but I've not really used it in anger properly - I'm not sure whether it's the camera or me. I need to put a few rolls of some sort of decent film through it, so I can tell if the lens is worth the effort, rather than the rubbishy expired HP5+ I've tried. The theory is good. I have a feeling I might still prefer my XA though.
chasing daisies... - a blog about things
redspotted on Flickr - pictures of stuff

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 10:43:49 PM »
For me it was the Polaroid Automatic Land Camera. The problem wasn't the camera itself, but the film. As nice as instant film sounds, it was just too messy and I never knew what to do with the prints and the negative. Also, the close focusing distance of that thing was a serious problem for me.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 10:52:14 PM »
really disappointed? not much.. but many cameras that don't handle like I wish or ones that do and the results are just less than inspiring.

I've come to terms with my yashica 635 being a bore with bw film. I agree the lubitel delivers very good compared to it! though I love holding the yashica in my hands and with the rollei close-up lenses, it's like a whole new camera~

my kiev rangefinder has proven hard to work with and rely on with the framespacing and all... still love that one though!

02pilot, that pen model is something that I've been looking for! I've really grown fond of a battered EE-S with a broken meter, though I wish the distance scale wasn't on the inside, makes it fiddly.
/jonas

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 10:52:46 PM »
Bought an original lc-a, prob based on lomo hype. Loved one roll, not inspired by the rest. Sold it with all the other cameras I never use.

Urban, sorry to hear that, the auto pols's don't focus close. Bit for me they are my treasured cameras. But each to their own and all that :-)

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 11:00:22 PM »
Lots of cameras, but since they for the most part were decades old at the time I took ownership of them, and most likely never been serviced, one can hardly blame them for acting up. But top of the list has to be the Kowa Super 66. Superb lenses and very nice camera, so the let down when it started acting up was all the bigger.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 11:13:18 PM »
My Leica IIIF it's been my main disappointment... just couldn't get the results I was expecting.
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 11:30:31 PM »
A few dig*** cameras were disappointing, but I had to think for a while to remember a disappointing film camera. Then I remembered I had two , Canon T90s which both suffered the "EEE" stuck shutter problem. Great ergonomics and metering etc, but really if the shutter won't fire, the photographic possibilities are a bit limiting.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 11:43:32 PM »
02pilot, that pen model is something that I've been looking for! I've really grown fond of a battered EE-S with a broken meter, though I wish the distance scale wasn't on the inside, makes it fiddly.

The meter on mine is working pretty well, probably because it was kept in the original case (which I have). I did have to unstick the shutter and the aperture when I first got it, but they're clean now. If I decide to sell it I'll let you know.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2013, 12:41:03 AM »
All of them. Seriously, some I've loved using (Hasselblad 500c/m and Nikon F3HP to name but a couple) and others have been a sharp, stabbing pain in some random way (Leica M6 for loading, Rolleiflex for getting the film in and out of the camera without ripping finger nails from their beds). However, I've never taken a photo that I've really been pleased with.

Now, I realise that's all down to me and not the camera - but I'm hardly going to admit that, am I???  ::)
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2013, 06:48:38 AM »
I've been dissapointed with various cameras. Like mentioned above, I bought an LC-A+, didn't like the way it focused at all. I'm trying to get into my Leica but it's not as exciting as I thought it would be. And it weighs like 5 pounds so it's not exactly easy riding around on my bike and shooting. I suppose if I had a $1200 super sharp lens, it might impress me more. I have a cool looking Canon 28mm lens mounted on my M4-P, but I don't think it is the sharpest lens. I really have a hard time getting into 35mm in general. I keep thinking about getting a GR21.

There are various "toy" or vintage cameras that have been pretty boring to me. Most look cool on the outside but produce pretty much the exact same image...soft and low contrast, nothing that particularly stands out.

Since I shoot tons of Polaroid, I'd have to say I was pretty dissapointed with the couple different auto folders I've owned, like the 100, 105 and 150. I guess after using the 190 and 195 for so long, I think the output from the auto folders is pretty crappy and they seem to make muddy shots. I even think the hard plastic cameras, like the Colorpack III, are better at exposing.

Most TLRs I have tried have been less than interesting. Couldn't get into the Yashicas. I didn't like my Lubitel. I've had a Rolleicord and a Rolleiflex. Both were okay but I still sold them.

I find I need fewer cameras the longer I shoot. I used to buy all kinds of cameras to try them out. My problem is I don't like to own things I don't use, so to buy something and just leave it out on a shelf for decoration doesn't much appeal to me anymore (except for maybe my Fujipets). Now I just like to find the cameras I really like to shoot with and keep using them...
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

DonkeyDave

• Sheet Film
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2013, 07:00:01 AM »
I own less cameras now, I've settled on a small mix of MF/LF and dare I say it, 'dig' when needed. However by far the most disappointing camera is the Lomo Belair which I'm almost embarrassed to admit I own. I leave it on the shelf where it stares at me, reminding me of my stupidity. Every now and then I see some half decent images on flickr and waste yet another roll of film through it. I've given it a good go, but have decided that actually the problem is that it is shit. I'm not even sure it's worth turning into a pinhole as the lack of a pressure plate, and the fat roll problem (and snapping film problem) might not make it worth it.

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2013, 08:35:03 AM »
The Rolleiflex FX, bought it with the intention of keeping it for a long time, only to realize that the feeling just isn't on par with the older ones.
Not as smooth, relatively noisy and the leatherette are more fragile, the ever ready case has sharp edges and stiff cheap leather!
Love the bright screen, the lens and light meter though. Not really sure whether to keep it or to get my self an old 2.8c. I think I will have the 2.8c pleas.

Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Yglotte

• A 15 year old film "photographer"
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2013, 08:52:30 AM »
The first film camera I bought was the Diana F+ because it was lomo and cool  ::) Now that I'm more interested in film, I still can't shoot with it, it's all plastic and stuff.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2013, 09:25:35 AM »
ohyeah, I had heard lots of praise for the pentax pc35af and I was impressed by the sharpness of the lens, I'll admit that.
but with too focus points in the AF, too many of my shots where out of focus to be acceptable. it's different with manual focus cameras, there I'm the one to blame so it feels more okay. anyhow, a noisy motor on top of that hasn't really made me long for it more  ::)

The meter on mine is working pretty well, probably because it was kept in the original case (which I have). I did have to unstick the shutter and the aperture when I first got it, but they're clean now. If I decide to sell it I'll let you know.
sounds good :) a trade could be interesting too
/jonas

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2013, 10:33:31 AM »
My biggest disappointment was the Fuji GS 67III (Texas Leica). I just found it too big and awkward to use on a tripod, the retractable lens hood blocked of a large chunk of the viewfinder and it was a pain to use my Lee filters. In the end I just felt that the 6x7 format wasn't for me... sold it and bought my Bronica SQAi  :D

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2013, 10:55:58 AM »
Brilliant idea for a thread! I thought I would find it a bit too gear-heady, but actually it's really interesting to see what you all like and dislike about your gear.

I went through a lot of cameras before I settled on my 'forever' gear.

My biggest disappointments have been any 35mm camera I've owned - Voigtlanders Bessa T, L, R2, R3A. As nice as they are as things, they just dont cut it for my type of photography, and I really struggle to take pics that are outside of my usual types, so add that all together = rubbish shots.  I'm told that Voigtlander lenses are great, but they always seemed a bit mushy to me, and the lack of resolution and tonal gradation in 35mm just makes for dull prints I find. Maybe I just cant hold a camera steady in my hands.

My biggest regret was letting the Mamiya 6 go. It was the only hand held camera that I ever managed to get reasonable shots with, other than the fave holga. I've just bought an Isolette after seeing Paul M's amazing shots, hoping I can recreate that 6x6 hand-held success.

L.

soeren

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2013, 11:35:57 AM »
Olympus OM2sp due to its battery comsumption.
Pentax 6x7 and  voigtlander superb for dark finders and zeiss ikonta 531 ( I think) for framespacing.
Biggest regret. Letting the SQ-Ai go. Gonna get another one some day.
Best regards
Soeren
Naestved, Denmark

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2013, 03:07:17 PM »

sounds good :) a trade could be interesting too

Always interested in a good trade. We'll have to talk more about this soon....  :)

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2013, 03:11:56 PM »
I found my Lomo Cosmic 35 to be quite a letdown too. The rewind mechanism is essentially s***, the shutter broke, I had to rewind the film in the darkroom if I didn't want to leave all my finger's skin on the knurled wheels. And the pictures I got back were just so-so... all this trouble for so little.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

kenny

• Kenny Ip dot com
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2013, 03:46:12 PM »
What a fantastic thread :)

My most disappointing has got to be the Olympus XA - The viewfinder and rangefinder are just too dim and small. Found it really tricky to frame and the focus handle is too small for my hands.

Info Red

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2013, 04:09:10 PM »
My Leica IIIc.  I had Youxin Ye do the CLA and replaced the curtain, etc.  When I got it back it worked flawlessly, and still does, but I just can't get used to that teeny viewfinder.  I got a 28mm for it, with an external finder, hoping that would help, but in the end I still can't warm up to it.  It's a great camera, and I was thinking about taking it out for another trial run, but for now I'll stick with my Mamiya 7II.  Medium format and large format negatives are just so much better for me currently, but the lovely build quality of the Leica makes me want to hold on to it, even tho' it's not my cup o' tea for shooting...

Mark

Aki

• 35mm
    • A Language All My Own
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2013, 05:09:39 PM »
I just can't seem to get good results with a Rollei 35S.   Actually I have two, so that's doubly disappointing....   

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2013, 05:22:53 PM »
I just can't seem to get good results with a Rollei 35S.   Actually I have two, so that's doubly disappointing....   

I've heard a fair few people complain about the ergonomics of the Rollei 35, but rarely about the results. What is it about the results you aren't happy with?

FWIW, I love my Tessar model, and I've thought more than once about getting one of the Sonnar versions. Let me know if you decide to move one of yours - maybe we can work something out.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2013, 07:27:36 PM »
Great thread indeed! Funny to hear how many people has Leica as the most disappointing camera :o

Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2013, 08:20:52 PM »
Maybe due to higher than reasonable expectations. I rather like mine. Superior build quality and feel, and the smoothness of the film advance is just something. But it is heavy, and if you are not accustomed to rangefinders and the rather iffy accuracy of the finder, no depth of field preview and the rest, well then you are no better of with a Leica than any other of the breed.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2013, 11:02:02 PM »
Indeed the negative views on Leica cameras are interesting, given the amount of space in other forums given over to idolizing them or arguing about the merits of a £2.5k lens versus a mere £2k lens.

I used to want an M6, but once I got used to medium format photography, I just can't see the point of spending fantastic sums to squeeze the last bit of resolution from a small negative.

I do however own a Leica Digilux 2, my only digital camera, and it does have it's strong points - mainly that it's styled rather like an old film camera.

Sbode

• 35mm
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2013, 11:49:36 PM »
A Rollie 2000f 35mm was my biggest disappointment. I thought the interchangeable backs would be really neat but the ergonomics of the camera really sucked. I found it to be extremely clumsy to use.

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2013, 12:21:47 AM »
My Leica M4-2, for which I paid a premium price.

Always wanted a Leica M, and this one, from a private party was pristine.

That didn't last long. First the bottom 4 timed speeds dropped out. From 1 sec. to 1/8 sec., first curtain opens, second curtain stuck, only way to clear the jam is to turn shutter dial to a higher speed, then second curtain will close. Now the frame counter stopped working. The vulcanite, that seemed so nice, started falling off in chunks about 5 or 6 months after I bought the camera. If fact, all these problems cropped up within the first year. The frame counter was the last thing to fail. I'm waiting for the whole camera to explode next.

On a brighter note, I have an Olympus Pen VF camera, the first model with all manual control. The date code shows it was made in July/1960
Except for cleaning the VF it is fully functional. Almost silent on wind on and release. At f5.6 to f11 the little 4 element 28mm f3.5 lens is quite good. This little half frame is my favorite viewfinder type camera and the projected bright frame VF is fully equal to the Leica.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2013, 06:28:07 AM »
I won't be selling my Leica M2 any time soon, that's for sure.  I'm not overly concerned about which glass is on there - I have a Canon LTM 50/1.8 and an Elmar-C 90/4, which are as cheap as they get -  but the viewfinder and rangefinder suit my sight perfectly.  Far better on the street or in the dark than one of my mirror-slappy SLRs.

But this thread was about disappointments, and though long sought after the Fuji GS645S didn't last in my hands.  The shots were good, but I hated the body design.

DaveP

• 35mm
    • daveparryphotography.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2013, 09:16:48 AM »
My disappointments:

Yashicamat - dark focussing screen and the lens never seemed that sharp to me, even stopped down. Ergonomically its a big metal rectangular brick. I tried to like it but didn't, lucky I sold it for more than I paid for it when the shutter release broke, so it's not all bad.

Voigtlander Bessa 6x9 with vaskar lens - tiny viewfinder full of crud, and the lens has terrible CA towards the edges, even stopped down. Inexplicably the tripod socket is right out at one end of the camera. It was my first venture into 120 film though so that was good.

Fuji GS645 the folding model - really nice idea in principle (modern sharp folder with accurate meter you can pocket) but the rangefinder linkage was dodgy, the lens was out of alignment, the bellows (already replaced) leaked and the inability to attach filters was a pain.

Moiz

• Peel Apart
  • Learning my trade
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2013, 09:22:47 AM »
I've had so few cameras go through my hands that it would be remiss of me to criticise any of them! However, I'm willing to take anyones hated M3 from them for a small fee just to find out what all the fuss is about.

Lund

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2013, 10:32:49 AM »
I have a Yashica-Mat that should be great for me. My first TLR and in good mechanical shape. But it just doesn't give me what I want. So when I got hold of and repaired a Minolta Autocord the yashica have just been sitting around unused.

I have some Mamiya Press cameras and lenses which I love using. But since I only have access to 6x6 enlargers...well. What should I do with a 6x7 or 6x9 negative I cannot really use? That disappoints me a lot.

stevesegz

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2013, 11:26:50 AM »
For me its the Holga panoramic. I love the 6x12 format and my 6x6 holga so was hoping to get something that would combine the 2 but it just doesnt work. Waiting to find a lens to convert it as per others have.
If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera.  ~Lewis Hine

John

• JB Photography Galleries
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2013, 11:42:11 AM »
For me, a Yashica Electro 35GSN. Too big, awful viewfinder/rangefinder spot and virtually no control over shutter speed. Oh and the lens flared really badly. I also can't get on with my Yashica Mat, lovely build quality but I can't get on with the dark viewfinder, I can never tell if it's in focus or not.

Best surprise would be the FED2, big bang for the bucks and looks classic.

David A-W

« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2013, 12:21:22 PM »
Mine was a Nikon FM2. I've had my Nikon FE since I bought it new in 1983 and still love it, but for some reason I just couldn't get on with the FM2 at all.

I recently got a Hasselblad Xpan but not at all convinced I'm going to bond with it - too much electronics in it.

I have had my Yashica 124G since buying new in about 1984 but to be honest have rarely used it - though have had some good shots from it. It replaced a Lubitel that cost about £12 in 1983 which I didn't like either.

I do very much like my Leicas though (M2 and M3).

cidereye

• 35mm
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2013, 12:37:52 PM »
I won't be selling my Leica M2 any time soon, that's for sure.
y
My biggest ever sale regret having traded my M2 in last year. OK so I did trade it in for a Mamiya 6 that you'd have to prise out of my clenched dying hands but I still really, really miss the old girl so I know how you feel.  :'(

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2013, 12:57:11 PM »
I won't be selling my Leica M2 any time soon, that's for sure.
y
My biggest ever sale regret having traded my M2 in last year. OK so I did trade it in for a Mamiya 6 that you'd have to prise out of my clenched dying hands but I still really, really miss the old girl so I know how you feel.  :'(

Interesting as I sold my Leica M2 and about four Voigtlander lenses earlier this year so I can keep putting my Mamiya 6 to use.  I loved the M2 for the 5 years or so I had it, but after getting the Mamiya 6 I just wasn't shooting it anymore. 

The biggest disappointment for me is the Ricoh GR1.  Everything about it says I should love it but I just don't.  I can't take good pics with it.  Recently got an Olympus XA to try to rekindle the 35mm fire but I haven't even shot it yet. 

The only 35mm I shoot these days is my Gakkenflex (which would go in a thread about what was your biggest pleasant surprise cameras). 

Harvey

• Peel Apart
    • Meandering Extracts
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2013, 01:20:52 PM »
A Rollie 2000f 35mm was my biggest disappointment. I thought the interchangeable backs would be really neat but the ergonomics of the camera really sucked. I found it to be extremely clumsy to use.

I'm with you on that one. I'd lusted after the 3003 for years and when a 2000F came along I snapped it up. On paper it looked the answer to everything in 35mm but... not just the ergonomics but how noisy was that motorwind?!
Biggest regret was selling the RB67 though, I didn't give it time!

Aki

• 35mm
    • A Language All My Own
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2013, 03:26:02 PM »

I've heard a fair few people complain about the ergonomics of the Rollei 35, but rarely about the results. What is it about the results you aren't happy with?

FWIW, I love my Tessar model, and I've thought more than once about getting one of the Sonnar versions. Let me know if you decide to move one of yours - maybe we can work something out.

Actually, I love the form factor of Rollei 35.  Small, compact, light enough to just wrap around your wrist to go anywhere.   Very inconspicuous.   Changing the film is a bit of pain, but  not too bad. 

On the other hand, lack of rangefinder makes it very difficult to do indoor shots with aperture opened up.    If try to go too small of an aperture and end up underexposing or getting camera shake.   And I always miss focus with opened up aperture.   So unless it's all outdoor stopped down shots, I just don't seem to get good results.  Mine both seem to scratch the film more than other cameras as well.    I haven't quite given up yet though, I think I'll keep at it a bit more and see if it's just me...