Author Topic: Total Eclipse  (Read 135 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Total Eclipse
« on: April 08, 2024, 10:27:21 PM »
I know this one is digital (my film plans really didn't turn out like I wanted), but I just had to share a photo of today's total eclipse.
Totality didn't last more than a minute (I just had time to take 8 photos at various exposures before it was gone), so this was a rush job trying to also take in the sights.
It was really weird to see the changed colors all around and the 360° sunrise all around.
It lasted too short a time... wish it had been longer.
Here's one of the pictures I took. It's probably the best one.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: Total Eclipse
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2024, 02:02:55 AM »
In 2017 we got about 93% of the eclipse.  I shot this on film with a 500mm mirror lens, a 2X multiplier and a solar filter. 

Eclipse at 93% by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Total Eclipse
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2024, 03:35:11 PM »
When I said my plans didn't quite turn out, here's the lowdown of the film catastrophe.
I was planing on using a tripod with a head that has 3 handles. I take it out, bummer, the sun is too high in the sky and the head won't tilt back far enough.
I rush into the house to get a tripod with a ball head. I lean it against the wall to pick-up something else, the tripod slips and breaks the knob on the ball release. So I'm there hoping that what's left of the knob won't finish breaking off while I take the photos.
I dropped the filter countless times in the dirt. I couldn't see the LCD screen to make the settings for the exposure.
On every chart I checked, it said we should have had 3 minutes of totality, so I was planning on shooting a set on digi to hone-in the exposure and then switch to a Nikon I had loaded with some 400 ISO. All the charts were wrong and we only got 1 minute 15 seconds of totality.

I'm really lucky to have had a nice sequence...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.