Author Topic: OK, here's one way of doing it....sort of.  (Read 2237 times)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
OK, here's one way of doing it....sort of.
« on: March 31, 2008, 02:08:02 PM »
Latest post from photojojo has an intriguing title; Resurrect Your Vintage Camera, Digital Style. Nothing most of us haven't done before I suspect, but I have mixed feelings about people using old cams and digitals together in this way. I suppose though at the end of the day it always going to be about the image and not how you dress it up.

The one thing I did like was the idea right at the end of the article about pointing the old camera at right angles to the way you're facing to get a nice candid snap of your subject.

rdbkorn

• Error-Prone
Re: OK, here's one way of doing it....sort of.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 04:35:35 PM »
Flickr is awash with ttv images. It's like any artistic or photographic process - there are bound to be a few individuals with unique vision who use the ttv method inventively and effectively. But the vast majority........

traskblueribbon

• instant junkie
    • flickr stream
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 09:21:04 PM »
I love TTV. Its got nothing to do with the digital camera, its all about the amazing glass and mirror of the Kodak Duaflex viewfinder. There are quite a few persons I know of doing this with film, if it makes a difference. And just like everything else in the world,  some like it some don't, some do it well and some don't. It is the state of all craft and specific processes within a craft.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 10:22:59 PM »
I did give it a try a few times but wasn't satisfied with the results:
My Powershot has a hell of a time focusing
I have to carry 2 cameras
Most results are just "blah"...

I gave up on it for now (until I can get some other way of doing it)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

gary m

• Sheet Film
  • Listen to the picture
    • Gary Moyer
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 11:00:44 PM »
I like the look of these also. Been part of this group over at http://www.flickr.com/groups/throughtheviewfinder/   for awhile now. The technique definately works best when using a light blocking "contraption" to capture the images. There is a forum discussion at the above link with tons of examples of "contraptions" if your interested in trying the technique with decent results.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 12:09:16 AM »
for some reason, the ttv things doesn't grab me. i can always identify one right off the bat, and some are quite pretty, but it doesn't do much...in the same league with lensbaby. neat but meh.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 05:35:45 PM »
yeah, i tend to feel the same way as moominsean. they just make me wish they were using the real camera, not just the viewfinder. i tend to have the same reaction as when i see someone who collects cameras but has no interest in shooting with them. somehow, it just seems like a waste. though there is something to be said for a shelf of tasty vintage cameras.

william

traskblueribbon

• instant junkie
    • flickr stream
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 05:53:15 PM »
I see the lensbaby argument for sure, these images are very identifiable, as are most photographic processes. Though It seems to me that this would qualify as using a real camera, multiple in fact. I think the real draw to TTV is that the viewfinder offers a much more unique perspective than the plastic single element in the camera, which as we know, has been done to death. You should pick up a Duaflex just to look through the viewfinder, its quite surreal.