Author Topic: Hopping the pond!  (Read 1855 times)

patchyfogsteph

• 35mm
    • Steph Parke Photography
Hopping the pond!
« on: March 11, 2008, 02:21:55 PM »
Hello all,

I'm getting ready for my first trip across the pond to visit the Lakes District in Scotland, Northern England and London.  We'll be doing a two-week walking tour, taking  many, many photos, and hopefully we'll have time to slip in some kayaking (please, oh please, oh please!).  Can anyone suggest cool places (particular lakes, shops, museums, etc) in any of these areas that we should not miss?  I know that's a pretty broad area, but we'll be in places like Loch Lomond, Clachaig, Braemar, Wasdale Head, Keswick, London...  I've been Flickring and Googling like mad, looking up place names and photos and there's just so much to see!  I'm so excited.

Also, what's the weather like toward the end of May?   

Thanks in advance!

Steph

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: Hopping the pond!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 02:33:30 PM »
The Lake District is in England BTW.

weather - take your pick.  last year was particularly wet, but end of may early june is usually ok.  it'll probably be reasonably mild - between 15 and 20 degrees c ish  you may be lucky to get a few hot days ... but bear in mind summer doesnt really get going until  well into June .... and I dont think it actually gets going at all in scotland ;)

2 weeks is nowhere near enough for scotland let alone the lakes and london too.

in the Lakes national park (NW england) - my faves are Wastwater,Buttermere  and Crummock water.  I can give you lots of good places around the south to visit but that depends on whether you'll have a car to venture outside london ...?   

ps dont forget your umbrella
L.

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 02:58:07 PM »
Come prepared for all weather - I seem to remember bad hail storms last May, but it could equally be warm and sunny.  More likely you'll get a mixture of everything - particularly in the Lakes, which are (in)famous for the changeable conditions.

I'd recommend getting hold of the Rough Guide books which cover England and Scotland - they're very useful, particularly as you're going to have to be quite selective in what you see and do with only two weeks to cover such a lot of ground.  Just traveling between Scotland, the Lakes and London is going to eat up a fair amount of time.

If you end up passing through Manchester let me know - I'd be happy to show you around.

patchyfogsteph

• 35mm
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 03:22:04 PM »
Thanks Leon and David!  I should have prefaced my first post with "forgive my non-knowledge of your beautiful land..."  All this time I thought the Lakes were in Scotland.  Shows what this geographically-challenged American knows!  We'll actually be there a bit longer than two weeks, and we're traveling with an alumni-sponsored group from the university in my hometown.  Our itinerary, as far as which towns we'll be in, is pretty set, but we've got a lot of free time to wander.  We won't have a car anywhere along the trip - unless you count the group's bus - so we'll be limited to public transportation and our feet. 

The tour starts in the Western Highlands of Scotland, down to the Lakes, then London for three days where we'll depart for home.  I know it's a short time to be there, but thank you, David, for the guidebook suggestion.  I'll look into that today.  And thank you for offering to show me around.  If I find that I'm in your neck of the woods, I'll take you up on it!

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 05:21:49 PM »

weather  ... but bear in mind summer doesnt really get going until  well into June .... and I dont think it actually gets going at all in scotland ;)

Oie!
When I arrived up here in the Western Isles last June, we had a month or was it two months of wonderfully warm and sunny weather while you lot were bobbing around your high streets in little boats!

patchyfogsteph;
May I suggest that when in Scotland, try to get onto an island or two. may I suggest Kerrera off Oban and Luing just a little further south. You could paddle to the former easily.
I might add that the sea kayaking here in the western isles is meant to be brilliant - when the weather is kind. the local canoe club have a canoe out to St Kilda every year. It takes a few days though. :-\

sausage100uk

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 08:51:57 PM »
not wanting to sound like a spoil sport but if you are going out in the Highlands or the lakes make sure you have a Map and a Compass and take the time to learn how to use them properly. The weather can change in minutes, we almost got caught on top of a munro when the weather turned and had to rely on GPS and OS map to get us home again.....if the weather is good you will have more pic opportunities that you can point a lens at..... ;D ;D ;D
God created Paramedics so Firemen could have heroes...

RandomHamster

• Beware the hamsters of doom.......er........
    • RandomHamster
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 07:55:22 PM »
Hiya,

If you get a chance, pick a misty day and get up to Casttlerigg stone circle near Keswick, fabulous place and very atmospheric  :)

Otherwise, happy wandering!
Tracey - All my favorite things start with C... cameras, cheese, cider and chocolate!
http://randomhamster.my-expressions.com/

patchyfogsteph

• 35mm
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 10:45:18 PM »
not wanting to sound like a spoil sport but if you are going out in the Highlands or the lakes make sure you have a Map and a Compass and take the time to learn how to use them properly. The weather can change in minutes, we almost got caught on top of a munro when the weather turned and had to rely on GPS and OS map to get us home again.....if the weather is good you will have more pic opportunities that you can point a lens at..... ;D ;D ;D

Don't worry.  I already know how to do both. 

If you get a chance, pick a misty day and get up to Casttlerigg stone circle near Keswick, fabulous place and very atmospheric  :)

Otherwise, happy wandering!
Thanks Random!  Castlerigg is already on my list.  I saw some photos of it on Flickr and couldn't stop smiling at the prospect. 

Thanks again everyone, for your advice and warnings.  I'm looking forward to wasting a LOT of film!