Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Main Forum / Re: Weekend - April 26, 27 & 28, 2024
« Last post by astrobeck on April 29, 2024, 11:24:38 PM »
Nice weekend here.
That's a really nice looking dog Bryan and I like the name Quincy.

Mines from yesterday and pinhole fun with a Reality so subtle 6 x9 with a yellow filter with kentmere 400.
In the photo are Joe Van Cleave, Ethan Moses and Jeremy (drsx70) the polaroid fixer upper, and  a few others who wish to be anonymous.
It's funny because I recently heard the Lomography founders say that experimentation has been replaced by planification in the digital era.
I think we can all agree with that. If on film you never have a true certainty of what the results will be, that is totally not the cast with digital. I feel that this is where filmmaking widely differs from photography. With a cine camera, the most you could do is expose, develop, cut and splice.
With a cine camera, all you do is expose, cut and splice in a much more flexible fashion. Most people don't jump into Aftereffects to add stuff.
But on the other hand, with photography, we went from choosing the emulsion according to what the end goal is, figuring out the best way to expose this mysterious piece of celluloid, learning about the best way to get the image we want by choosing the proper developing process... to just looking at the histogram and adjusting the speed, ISO and aperture until the major portion of it all is on the right. Then if you're picky, you spend countless hours on Photoshop to make it look decent. So in a way he's right, there is a loss of skill in the artisanship sense of the term.
The BBC had an article over the weekend on analog technologies and whether the "frustration" and "difficulty of learning" are part of its charm. To be fair, the authors do recognize that digital tech is "de-skilling us". Not sure I completely agree with that. When I made the transition from editing motion picture film to video editing, I felt that the art remained but the craft had been lost. Much the same as the transition from the magic of the wet darkroom to the clinical precision of the digital workspace. In any event, it's an interesting story.

The revival of film-based photography is partly driven by the same sensibility. The Vienna-based Lomography organisation – established in 1992 by a group of students as an arts movement to promote the taking of spontaneous and experimental photos – espouses such things as the "joy of light leaks" typical of cheap Chinese and Soviet-made plastic cameras, generating all sorts of interesting creative outcomes.

Indeed, rule number nine of Lomography's 10 golden rules highlights the accidental nature of shooting on film rather than a digital camera – and even the lovely surprise of getting your developed film delivered back from the processing laboratory:

So you get a roll of film back from the lab. Who is that person? What's that swirl of light flickering across the image? How did the colours turn out like that? Or what about that accidental double exposure – how the hell did that happen? What was I even trying to shoot there? It's these happy accidents that we love. (Michael)

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20240426-why-we-continue-to-embrace-analogue-tech
Main Forum / Re: Tell me about Kentmere.
« Last post by Francois on April 28, 2024, 03:45:21 PM »
So far, I found that it works pretty good with Rodinal.
But I only tried their 400 ISO film with HC-110 before. With the HC, it's really nice when exposed at EI 250, but with Rodinal you can go full speed.

Here's what you can expect from Rodinal (I hope I got the right image as the film has no edge markings)
Main Forum / Re: Who is up for a postcard exchange?
« Last post by Francois on April 28, 2024, 03:35:37 PM »
What a journey!! Glad it made it to you in one piece!
Not as much as me 😊
Main Forum / Re: Weekend - April 26, 27 & 28, 2024
« Last post by Phil Snaps on April 28, 2024, 09:33:41 AM »
Getting ready for Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day.
I think I've blocked all the light leaks this time.
Main Forum / Re: Who is up for a postcard exchange?
« Last post by grit on April 28, 2024, 06:26:36 AM »
What a journey!! Glad it made it to you in one piece!

The image is in perfect shape, corners barely rounded.
Now that it what I call a stoke of luck. He definitely is a good person!  8)
I should add that the mailman came yesterday at 8:30pm... And it has been just sitting there on the sidewalk for all that time without anybody stepping on it.
Main Forum / Re: Tell me about Kentmere.
« Last post by Ed Wenn on April 27, 2024, 10:46:53 PM »
Thanks for all the info. I'm going to need to re-read it and see if anything jumps out at me as being the film to try. The ORWO UN54, 100ASA sounded really promising from the Efke comparison, but the scratching and those plastic cassettes don't sound like a lot of fun. I guess I'll heed Francois' words of wisdom as my jumping off point and see where it takes me. "But when it comes to cheap stuff, Foma and Arista.EDU are pretty much the name of the game"
Main Forum / Re: "Rollei" 35 AF update...
« Last post by Francois on April 27, 2024, 10:19:01 PM »
I guess I'll keep on garage sale hopping for my gear 😁
Main Forum / Re: "Rollei" 35 AF update...
« Last post by Kai-san on April 27, 2024, 09:14:50 PM »
The price level is about the same as the Nikon 35TI and Contax T when they were released in the late 80's, early 90's. Adjusting for inflation the new Rollei is quite a bit cheaper, but it's still a bit of money for an advanced P&S. I think I'll wait and read a few reviews before contemplating a purchase. And then there are all those nice last century goodies that I haven't tried yet............  :P
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10