Author Topic: It's the age-old camera bag question ....  (Read 9438 times)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
It's the age-old camera bag question ....
« on: February 05, 2012, 07:07:54 PM »
I'm looking for a new camera bag - the specific requirements are:

• Shoulder bag
  • top loading
  • BIG - enough to fit a folded fleld camera (about 200mm square and 80mm depth), 3 lenses wrapped in 80mmx80mm boards, minolta spot meter, 6 Double sided 4x5 film holders, loupe etc
  • slim(ish) and tall as opposed to bulky and squat - so it fits to my side, rather than swinging around
  • subtle colours!
  • comfortable, but sturdy
  • well designed with lots of pockets etc.

A few caveats:
  • no billinghams - I like my little Billingham satchel, but I had a big one a while ago, and hated it.
  • The gear must all be accessible whilst the bag is on the shoulder - so I can wade into water or be on mud, and not have to put it down to access the cameras etc.
  • not madly expensive (Billinghams again!)

I love Crumpler bags - they are very well constructed and designed ... but I don't think they do a shoulder bag that will be big enough (and they are too much money).

I like the look of the Kata DB 455  - but I'm not convinced it will be big enough.

I also like the new Manfrotto Unica VII ... a bit pricey although looks big enough.

Any thoughts, recommendations etc?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 09:07:32 PM by leon taylor »
L.

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
Re: It's the age-old camera bag question ....
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 08:23:55 PM »
My thought is that no one has designed the perfect camera bag :)

I have a crumpler that is just big enough to fit the hassy, film, tubes and light meter.
Brilliant, except it won't fit my cardi, keys, purse, diary, book, pen, misc. make up, lip salve etc, gloves, hat, phone, holga etc.
And it's not got a zip right on the top or any outside pockets.

I end up having to take another bag too which is frustrating.
Think I need to get one of those internal padded thingys that you can put into any bag.

Good luck though :)

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 09:45:12 PM »

I like the look of the Kata DB 455  - but I'm not convinced it will be big enough.

A bit out of topic but... hey !! they have a very similar favicon I made for my website!? www.picturenoise.com
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

salvo

• salvo toscano
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 09:55:35 PM »
I bought one of these few months ago and I've been pretty happy with it. I use it for my MF kit mainly, I find it very functional and ergonomic, I can access the compartment easily as on the shoulder, plenty of pockets and customisable comparts.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/retrospective-30-pinestone-shoulder-bag.aspx

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 10:58:05 PM »
Well, Tamrac makes some of the largest bags I've ever seen. So it might very well be worth taking a look
http://www.tamrac.com/welcome.htm
Especially their Pro Bag series.

I can't talk much when it comes to bags. I still have a 20 year old Nikon bag and a backpack from Lowepro which it turns out is not the most useful in the world...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Sam Thompson

• 35mm
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 03:43:13 AM »
Check out the bags at Diaper Dudes. This is what I lug my Shen Hao around with.  :)

http://www.diaperdude.com/store/black-deluxe-c-250-p-1-pr-16362.html

« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:04:08 AM by Sam Thompson »

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 04:01:06 AM »
I don't own one (yet?) but everyone I know who has used a Think Tank loves them:

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/

I did some quick Googling, and I see some recommendations for the rolling camera bags with backpack slings for LF, but that breaks Requirement #1. :(

stevesegz

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 07:13:17 AM »
I have one of these,
 http://www.tenba.com/products/Messenger-Large-Photo-Laptop-Bag-[Engraveable].aspx

I'm sure it will take the camera and holders, not sure if it will take all 3 lenses comfortably, but if padded will definitely go in. Is built like a tank and very comfortable to carry.
If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera.  ~Lewis Hine

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 07:57:18 AM »
Oooooooo there's one on the think tank site called the "Streetwalker", get one of those Leon and something that shows a bit of leg ?

I bought a Manfrotto which is great for protection but not for access, with the large gear you're carting about a GTi Courier pack might be good ?

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 08:22:57 AM »
There are so many options, the one thing I would say is don't buy it without handling it first. For me a zip in the wrong place or a pocket that's not as easy to use as you hope would be a deal breaker. This is where the upcoming photo show might be just what you need.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 08:34:45 AM »
Ahh, I'd forgotten about the Tenbas...I've only heard really good things about then.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 08:39:17 AM »
The Lowepro "Stealth Reporter" range is excellent. The 650 AW is BIG and you can access it either from a zip-through slit on top or by opening the top itself. There's loads of room for everything you mentioned. You can even fasten it to your waist to stop it swinging around if you want and there's a weatherproof cover that packs out of the way neatly when not required.

You can configure the innards whichever way you want, to suit your kit.

I use to have one a few years back but it was too big for my SLR kit and I just used to fill it with EVERYTHING that I owned. That way, I couldn't blame myself if I didn't have something I wanted with me - but it was a bit of a lump to carry around daily, so I swapped it for something else (can't remember what, though).

The 650AW is not a bag for the small or weak.

I looked at the Manfrotto you mentioned. It seems very flimsy to me and the aluminium buckle makes a very loud and tinny "ding" noise if you don't have it buckled shut. The noise really wound me up when I was looking at it at the top flap was clanking away when I was putting my stuff in and out on the "trial run". It's not in the same league protection-wise as the Lowepro, either (IMO).

If I was buying a bag today, I'd probably be looking at the ThinkTank "Retrospective" range. However, the outer of those bags has a (probably) tough but cloth feel and I doubt it will take the same beating that a Lowepro or Crumpler will take. The Think Tank "Urban Disguise" range is tougher looking but it's more in-keeping with the DSLR + 3 lenses + laptop shape that seems most popular these days.

I'm a big fan of Billingham bags but, like yourself, I don't see them as a sensible choice for LF kit.

I had a look at Domke bags but they seemed both flimsy and over-priced. I know a lot of people rave about them but I just didn't take to any of the ones I saw. Neither did I see one that would take LF gear easily.

I'm using my Lowepro MiniTrekker AW backpack for my LF gear just now but I'm probably going to look for a shoulder bag alternative. If you find one that you like, please post it on the thread as I suspect your Chamonix won't be much different, size-wise, to Wista.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 09:53:38 AM »
Thanks for all the tips everyone - some sage advice int this thread

The Lowepro "Stealth Reporter" range is excellent. The 650 AW is BIG ...

It wants to be excellent for £200  :o

I've narrowed down to the:

L.

Windy

• Sheet Film
  • aka Ian
    • my flickr
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 10:12:07 AM »
I use a slingshot 100, a crumpler muffintop 2500 and a Northface Messenger Bag. I don't carry anything as big as a field camera tho'

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 11:27:09 AM »
Thanks for all the tips everyone - some sage advice int this thread

The Lowepro "Stealth Reporter" range is excellent. The 650 AW is BIG ...

It wants to be excellent for £200  :o

Blinking flip.......   :o I think mine cost me about £110. Mind you, it was getting on 10 years ago.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 01:59:43 PM »
I've heard that Paramo are starting to introduce the F-stop camera bag range into the UK, amongst them is a shoulder bag.
http://fstopgear.com/

I'm very much a LowePro bag person but have quite a lot of respect for the Paramo brand
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 02:12:33 PM »
If you want to go the traditional way, there's always the world famous Domke bags. But I don't think they are as padded as the Tamrac bags nor as big and configurable.

I know the Tamrac bags are pretty much indestructible. Interiors are completely configurable to suit your taste. The biggest one I've ever seen on the street, the guy was carrying two F4's with the grip and a full set of prime lenses with a flash. He must have been carrying at least 50 lbs of gear and the bag wasn't even straining to hold all that weight!

They also have plenty of accessory pockets...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 03:25:29 PM »
Choice is made - http://www.vanguardworld.co.uk/index.php/pv/products/photo-video/detail-1-1-Messenger+Bag-434.html

It does seem to cover all the needs. Top zip, lots of pockets, rain cover, sheet film holders compartment (laptop slot!).  The narrow width was worrying me, but it does expand  another 1.5 inch, so it should be fine.

I've bought it too.  Hopefully not too much of a rash decision.  It will be a tight fit, but I think that is what I was wanting anyway. I managed to find one through ebay from a commercial seller - at about £40 cheaper than other places, so I snapped it up. Strangely, the seller had them at a lower price than the next size down - which was odd. 

Good reviews online too.
L.

Ken B: eyes, I just do eyes.

• Sheet Film
  • In email, no one can hear you scream
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 04:55:00 PM »
I would have voted Tamrac, however my wife has a Vanguard backpack and she loves it, its built well.
Age can weary me when it can keep the hell up

http://www.kensphotoblog2013.com/

http://www.artybollocks.com/

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 05:13:02 PM »
the bag arrived today, and it is all I hoped it would be and more. My mf field cam set up fits in perfectly, and I have no doubt the LF will (when I eventually get it) ... as I won't have 2 camera backs with me, so more space.

Seriously good deal compared to other prices etc. I'll try to remember to update this after some heavy use to see how it stands up. 
L.

astrobeck

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 05:31:07 PM »
any chance we can see a snap of the bag loaded with the gear?
I'm shopping too, so would like a peek at how it all worked out in the bag.
 :)

Wensleydale Blue

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 05:58:11 PM »
Leon

Vicky's right though, there isn't the perfect bag.  This new one may look good now but I betcha something will irk you before too long.  I've had half a dozen and none of them turned out to be quite right - internal dividers not adjustable or deep enough; pockets not quite the right size or easy to get at without taking the damn thing off; top opens the wrong way or snarls when you try to zip it back up; strap holders in wrong pace so bag always leans away at an odd angle; not weatherproof or waterproof liner under base rips first time out in force ten gales.  There's always something 

So, no, there isn't a perfect bag and, do you know, there never will be.  Its an unwritten rule of photography :'(

Good luck with it though - Graham

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 06:15:39 PM »
Becky - Pictures.

Inside I have 1 6x9 metal field camera, 1 6x9 back, 1 6x7 back, 1 65mm lens on 80mm board (in tenba 10 inch wrap cover), 1 150mm lens on 80mm board (also in a wrap), 1 minolta spot meter, 1 silvestri loupe, a load of lee and cokin z-pro filters, a lee filter holder in case, 2 5x4 film holders, pens, moleskine, lens pens.

this is with the extension zip closed.  when I finally get the Chamonix, It will also use it for that (minus the 6x9 camera and film backs) and 4 more 5x4 film holders.  there is plenty of room for it all. And the top zip makes it really easy to get to all the stuff without having to open up the main flap.

L.

astrobeck

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 06:30:22 PM »
Excellent!
Looks very organized and logical/easy to use in the field.
Thanks! 
 :)

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »
The boy done good :)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
I've done a review of this bag on my blog if anyone is interested:

http://leontaylor-photo.tumblr.com/post/17670130353/vanguard-up-rise-38-camera-bag-review
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 01:28:53 PM by leon taylor »
L.

Xpres

• 35mm
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 11:44:17 AM »
I think you mean '38' not '48'? ....

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 01:29:59 PM »
that's exactly correct. Well spotted.  What a fool am I.

Where would we be without pedantry?  :D ;) ;D

Welcome to filmwasters BTW.  
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 02:36:31 PM by leon taylor »
L.

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2012, 11:20:37 PM »
Just stumbled across another camera bag company: http://www.onabags.com/

Beautiful stuff, possibly functional, too. ;)