Author Topic: Darius Kinsey  (Read 725 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Darius Kinsey
« on: January 22, 2023, 02:49:27 AM »
Interesting story about a locally famous photographer in the Pacific Northwest.  I like how he tried to get more people in his photos so he could sell more prints.  He captured a lot of the giant trees around here before they were all cut down. 

https://www.seattletimes.com/pacific-nw-magazine/why-ken-burns-and-ralph-lauren-buy-kinsey-photos-from-the-whatcom-museum/

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
Re: Darius Kinsey
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 07:56:56 PM »
Fantastic pictures!
I am no expert on this, but lying down in the undercut of a half felled tree does not strike me as a very clever move.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 09:56:03 PM »
Fantastic pictures!
I am no expert on this, but lying down in the undercut of a half felled tree does not strike me as a very clever move.
That notch is to control the direction of the tree when it falls.  They still had a lot of cutting to do from the other side.  They cut up close to the notch from the other side, it acts like a hinge falling in the direction of the notch. 

See how the other two guys are standing on planks, you can see the holes cut for other planks under the notch.  That gets them up to where they want to make the cut.  You can still find rotting old stumps around here that have those plank holes cut in them. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 02:33:09 PM »
The notch also prevents saw blade from pinching when the tree begins to let go.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.