Author Topic: Dishwashing dev tanks  (Read 932 times)

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Dishwashing dev tanks
« on: July 26, 2011, 11:01:30 AM »
I've heard of people putting their dev tanks in the dishwasher to get them clean. Anyone tried it? What about the spirals? Anyone?

"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
Re: Dishwashing dev tanks
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 11:24:10 AM »
I've been using the same tank for about eight years and had never to use anything but water to clean. The spiral, which had to be thrown away because it was broken, had that usual brown stain but this was never a big issue to me.

I wouldn't use dishwasher because of the soap residue that might leave, it can be hard to get rid off afterwards. If I ever had to clean I'd soak in a solution with water and vinegar for a couple of hours and use a brush to clean the excess, rinse well with clean water and let it dry. ;)
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 11:38:21 AM »
I wouldn't use dishwasher because of the soap residue that might leave, it can be hard to get rid off afterwards.

I used to do it regularly and specifically to remove soapy residue from wetting agents.  The dishwasher works at such a high temperature, and uses caustic cleaning products specifically to remove soap residues. I used to  put both the tank and spirals in with no ill effects, although I always put them on the top shelf so they are not too close to the heating elements.

I don't it anymore because I don't use wetting agents in the tanks or on reels anymore.

L.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 01:51:56 PM »
Thanks Leon, that's just what I wanted. I assume it was plastic tanks and spirals you used?
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 02:39:01 PM »
yes - meant to say, plastic patterson type reels. Just keep them away from the elements
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 03:16:56 PM »
I'm surprised to hear they actually survive in the dishwasher. They feel like very soft plastic to me and I would assume they would have warped.

As for residue, dishwasher soap doesn't leave any. They use a strong alkali to get particles off the plates.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.