Author Topic: Source of picture ideas.  (Read 908 times)

John Robison

• Sheet Film
Source of picture ideas.
« on: April 04, 2019, 06:05:41 PM »
I've been thinking about my own limited photography. It's been very dry for quite a while. But I've also realized just how much of my personal photography is driven by concepts forming in my head. On walks or drives I'm looking at scenes with a imaginary frame hanging in my field of vision. I think it has a angle of about a 50mm lens on 35mm full frame. Picture ideas are mental only and I don't take notes. Then later, perhaps much later, I'll return with whatever equipment I need to make the picture. I'm just not a 'hunter', that is going out with a camera, searching for picture opportunities. For some reason that has almost never proved near as fruitful.

So, what are you? A hunter gatherer photographer, or a 'fixed piece', concept already visualized photographer.
Or, perhaps you find both approach's produce the results you are looking for.

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Source of picture ideas.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 09:25:02 PM »
While it depends on the situation, I'm mostly of the hunter gatherer type.
If I have a theme, I will come up with a conceptual photo of some sort.
But usually, I'm what I would call a strategic hunter gatherer. I have a map of the city with plenty of zones marked on it. These are the regions that have the most potential for finding something interesting (or in a few cases places that are so disappointing that I just don't want to go there again).
When a place is good, I will make notes.

I have often used google earth to look for possible locations. One of the biggest problems around here is the distance between places. Just to get out of suburbia can take an hour depending on the direction you take. Also, we are known for driving like maniacs. Since I don't like to drive fast, I tend to exclude most highways from my routes. Lets say that when you have people pushing you at 120 and up in a 100km/h zone, it's not fun
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 03:14:56 AM »
I do a little of both.  Sometimes I see something that I and I think about it for a while before I stop to photograph it.  Most of the time I take my camera with me when I go for a hike or traveling for work.  When I see something interesting I stop and take a photo.  I think traveling to new places or just going out exploring helps give me inspiration. 

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 03:53:56 AM »
One of the problems I've encountered is that scenes seen while in the car, when I arrive back at location the place I need to set up is in the middle of traffic with the lens 4 feet off the ground.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 09:43:58 AM »
One of the problems I've encountered is that scenes seen while in the car, when I arrive back at location the place I need to set up is in the middle of traffic with the lens 4 feet off the ground.

LOL.  Was it Edward Weston who said there's nothing worth photographing more than 100 yards from your vehicle. Or words to that effect. Anyway, you're right, the car seat is a very misleading place to scout from. Usual problem I find is that in any case there is nowhere to park anywhere near a good viewpoint.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 02:11:29 PM »
That's pretty much why I have folding traffic cones and a safety vest in the trunk of the car.
They're handy in case of any emergency  :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 02:08:45 PM »
Most often I get ideas from being inspired by a certain look I see in an image, usually from cinema rather than photography. And painting, especially with lighting or colors. Also photography but I'm careful not to copy too closely whereas I'll try to steal from cinema without a second thought -- because it's going to be different anyway.

Related to this, I get fixated by trying a new technical set-up, whether lens or film or lighting. This is when I start getting ideas for actual photographs. And I always think in terms of projects, photos that share a particular look.