Author Topic: Being OPEN to "capturing the moment"  (Read 3101 times)

artpunk

• Life is absurd, but beautiful!
    • The Plastic Lens
Being OPEN to "capturing the moment"
« on: March 05, 2007, 09:13:13 PM »
I have posted this previously on the "words" part of my plasticlens site, but thought it might be a suitable anecdote to share here for those who haven't discovered the incredibly wise and witty banter on my site  ;)

How many times do we drive down the road, busy, busy going places and we see something, say for example, an abandoned rusted out car, lit just right by the setting sun, or as another example, a large group of goths emerging from the train station after a big night out...so, we see something and think "That would make a good photo" - but do...nothing about it, we keep driving, or whatever, because we are too busy, busy, busy to slow down, pull over and take the camera out of our bag and snap a shot or two.

Hang on, lets stop for a moment ~ Q: Everyone reading this always carries at least one camera with them wherever they go, right? Right? Of course we do! If not, why not? Sure, you can capture a moment in your memory, but as far as my current knowledge of neurological sciences goes, no-one can extract that vision from your memory to share with others...yet.

Anyway back to the potential photograph you almost took - I know I've let many moments such as this slip past, and later on regretted it. I wonder how often others do. Do we really need to get to wherever we are going so quickly that we can't pause to smell the metaphorical flowers? This question brings to mind the occasion where I did stop to take a shot I thought would work. It was of a golden Buddha sitting outside a local shop/cafe and looked so shiny and just plain photographable that I decided to make a u-turn pull over and take a photo. It was only when I got closer to the statue that I could read what was on a sign hanging round its neck (I hadn't even registered the sign as I was driving past, just the lovely goldenness of the thing itself) and what the sign said was this:

"More Buddhas and Gods Inside"

I don't know about you, but these words changed what would have been a "quite nice" golden Buddha statue photo into a very interesting (and kind of funny) one in my eyes. I wouldn't have even seen the sign if I didn't take the time to pull over and look.
There is an added photographic karma angle to this anecdote, because a moment after I took the golden Buddha photo, a local character named Des came out of the shop. Des is a spiritual healer & fondly known locally as "Papa Desi" "Baba Des" and "The Wizard" to name a few of his a.k.a's. He is frequently seen on the street dressed in usually colourful garb of eastern influence walking with a distinctive cane (he has over 20 different canes I'm told) on this occasion, one with a polished metal skull on top. As my wife put it, he looks like he could have stepped off the set of Peter Jackson's "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

As far as being a wonderful subject for a portrait, well, say no more! Des is a great bloke and has kindly posed for my cameras before, so there I had another nice shot. But wait, there's more (that's right, not only do you get the steak knives, but you also get a free chopping board!) - right after I photographed Des, the owner of the shop, Chris, came out. Chris for all intentents and purposes, could be Frank Zappa's double. So I then captured both Chris and Des on film together. Sheer serendipity!

I think there's something in this little story for all of us...don't you?
Happy Snapping!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 09:58:49 PM by artpunk »
...the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe'
theplasticlens

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
Re: Being OPEN to "capturing the moment"
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 11:25:53 PM »
skorj is certainly the master at capturing the moment...but i have my moments. i have a pretty quick eye if the moment arises...i'm always scanning for something to shoot. love to drive and walk. sometimes drives my girlfriend nuts cuz i'll just walk off quickly to shoot or stop every two feet.

"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 11:30:01 PM »
though the question often arises:

"butt is it art?"

- John Waters

artpunk

• The Plastic Lens
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 12:37:32 AM »
though the question often arises:
"butt is it art?"
:D ;D Great captures, especially the first one. Right down the alley of your chosen profession one might say Sean!
re: "sometimes drives my girlfriend nuts cuz i'll just walk off quickly to shoot or stop every two feet" ~ yep, my wife too! I once lost her and the kids for three hours at a large zoo (the late Steve Irwin's "Australia Zoo") because I "walked off quickly" to snap something. I turned around and they were gone! Had to meet up with them again when the courtesy bus was due to pick us up.
My wife got the bum end of the deal, she forgot to leave the kids with me!
 ;)
theplasticlens

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 12:43:21 AM »
if only nurses looked like that! unless i had to wear the same outfit.
                                                                  - John Waters

artpunk

• The Plastic Lens
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 12:53:51 AM »
if only nurses looked like that! unless i had to wear the same outfit.
You mean you don't wear that kind of outfit in the USA? Man you've got to come and practice over here in Aus. These kind of outfits are the only things keeping me in nursing! If it wasn't for that I would have pursued my second-choice career as a table-top dancer years ago!

:o
theplasticlens

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 09:44:35 AM »
skorj is certainly the master at capturing the moment...but i have my moments.

Errr... what kinda moments we talking about here? Butt moments? I'll have to trawl for some, as though I suspect I have no butt, my camera may have snapped one whilst not looking...

FrankB

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 01:32:56 PM »
I make it a rule never to have my temperature taken in public.

I do now, anyway...!  :o  ;D

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 02:45:24 PM »

That explains perhaps what these guys were doing? Asking me perhaps to take their temp? Damn, where's that health care professional when you need them?

(Fujipet. T-Max 400. Not considered defining moments though...)

« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 02:47:29 PM by Skorj »

FrankB

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 07:35:05 PM »
No comment!

artpunk

• The Plastic Lens
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 01:22:04 AM »

I do now, anyway...!  :o  ;D
Oh we don't take temperatures like that any more! We have these doovers that look a bit like a phone that we stick in your ear and it goes beep, beep and tells you the Temp.
Of course we still take rectal temperatures on really sick people who you need a "core" temperature from, but rarely on an yone conscious.

...which reminds me of an old, old joke ~

this doctor is making his ward rounds one day and reaches into his top pocket for his pen to jot down something on a patient's chart. Instead of his pen he finds he is holding a rectal thermometer in his hand. "Hey!" he says "...some arsehole's got my pen!"

ummmm....sorry about that, couldn't help myself.

::)

P.S. Skorj - also no comment!
theplasticlens

FrankB

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 02:23:12 PM »
Given the direction this thread has taken, perhaps it's worth reflecting on its title once more.

Then again...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 02:25:19 PM by FrankB »

Theresa

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 03:50:15 PM »
what a beautiful collection of "moment" photographs! well done!