Author Topic: What's your street style?  (Read 6182 times)

6cmsquare

What's your street style?
« on: October 20, 2015, 03:31:58 PM »
So, I'm not really a snapshot taker. I like a methodical and well planned out approach to photography (thus the 4x5 cambo, press camera) -but I've decided I want to start doing a bit more snapshot/street photography.  I'm looking at this Yashica GT electro 1.7 at my local used camera shop and thinking this might be a good candidate,   
a. it's cheap.
b. the aperture priority auto shutter should make for speedy shot set-up
c. relatively sharp for it's price range/weight.

I typically shoot Delta 100, but i'm thinking 400 is going to be more suited for this,
or,
should I go with even faster film to allow for smaller apertures and sharper/longer depth of field?

I'd love to hear your thoughts and what you all prefer for your "street style"

“I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.”
-Hunter S. Thompson

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Re: What's your street style?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 03:41:56 PM »
Make sure the Yashica has had the POD addressed and confirm that it meters correctly with a modern battery (you'll need to buy or make an adapter).

For film, 400 for daylight, push to 1600 for dawn/dusk or darker (this may be an issue with the Electro 35, as I can't recall if the ISO setting goes past 1000; if not, you'll have to adapt your developing), f/8 for summer, f/5.6 for every other season, pre-focus at 10ft/3m, and go for it. You can shoot almost instantaneously this way, and shutter speeds will be fast enough to limit shake.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 03:43:53 PM »
flared trousers and a tank top.  Now that's what I call style.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 03:57:39 PM »
The Electro 35 is certainly cheap and easily replaced when it dies, but reliability might be an issue, so take a backup. If you are shooting fast film, the 1.7 is overkill. For a little more money you can get an Olympus p/s that will be smaller and more reliable, but not as cool. My Electro 35 recently died of some electrical catastrophe (not POD). It isn't even worth diagnosing when another can be had for $10. The screw-on wide angle and tele adapters are cool, but maybe not as useful for street photography. Good luck. It sounds like a fun departure from the methodical world of large format.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 05:03:05 PM »
What about looking for a Rollei 35b I picked one up for £35 scale focus so will be even quicker than an electro, I usually use HP5 and set my M4 to F8 , focus to 10 feet and what ever shutter speed I need for exposure you can do the same with a Rollei 35

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 05:13:09 PM »
Another great little camera you could look at that I have in my collection is the Rollei XF35 its got a great sonnar 40F2  lens

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 05:21:27 PM »
Have you thought about an Olympus XA.
 I have been after one for a while to stick in my overalls pocket when at work, so I'll try to get some candids of my colleagues and street shots when out and about. It came today so once it loaded it'll be tucked in and pulled out at a moments notice.

6cmsquare

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 06:08:32 PM »
Than you for the replies! I just read a nice article on the POD, and how to replace it, and it's definitely something i'd be comfortable doing. The camera tests fine, so i think I'll pick it up. I'll keep you posted.
“I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.”
-Hunter S. Thompson

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 09:41:48 PM »
Something that's surprisingly good for that is a good old Olympus Trip with its icon based distance guesstimation and full auto mode. But it doesn't like the dark a lot.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 10:05:26 PM »
Probably two thirds of my street shots have been taken with a TLR.  The rest a mix of SLR or rangefinder.

However, probably two thirds of the keepers have been TLR shots, usually at EI 400.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 10:42:06 PM »
What used camera shop are you looking at in Seattle?  I know Glazer's in downtown and Camera Techs in Ballard sell used gear.  Kenmore Camera had a pretty good selection last time I was in there but I thought the prices were a little steep.  They did have some nice stuff though.  Jim's cameras used to have a store in the University District that had a large selection but they only sell online now.

http://www.jimscamerasseattle.com/index.html

If electrical repairs are in your comfort zone I have a GSN Electro 35 with a good pad but no power to the meter.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 12:24:36 AM »
Probably two thirds of my street shots have been taken with a TLR.  The rest a mix of SLR or rangefinder.

However, probably two thirds of the keepers have been TLR shots, usually at EI 400.

At first, I was like  :o but then I realized that when I streetshoot with a TLR, I love it. Nobody knows you're taking a picture, so things tend to look more natural.

I mostly use my XA for street stuff though. Mainly because it fits in my pocket :)

6cmsquare

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 05:07:07 AM »
Well, picked up the Yashica today, modified a battery, shot a test roll and developed it. The exposures look pretty right on and it's sharp enough*  for candid street shoots. it'll be a nice little no frills carry along, until my wife buys me a Leica (instead of a car)
-Hunter S. Thompson

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 08:43:53 AM »
flared trousers and a tank top.  Now that's what I call style.

I can vouch for that  :o

I'm no expert but I've shot street and travel style photos for many years.  I'm not sure there's any silver bullet when it comes to developing a specific "style".  Be yourself.  Photograph what comes into your line of sight that interests you. When abroad and even in parts of the UK / Europe, I try to avoid photographing people who are in difficult situations - e.g. beggars / destitute / homeless.  It's not that I don't care - quite the opposite - but I'm also certain that me photographing them isn't going to help them as much as giving them a few bob.

There's usually something interesting happening - street fairs, markets, street entertainment,etc.  Also, look for juxtapositions of all kinds.  One of the most memorable photos I recall seeing (some years ago) was in the heart of London's "City" when an expensively suited city type stood sharing a joke with a couple of outrageously dressed punks.

The one thing I try to avoid is simply shooting for the sake of it.  Been there, done that and I find it quite demoralising staring at a set of what I perceive as banal and pointless shots when I was hoping at least one of the photos would be at least worthy of a second look.  I suppose it's down to having a keen "eye" and being ready to capture something you sort of "predict" might happen as a result of the component parts of the scene unfolding in front front of you.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 08:59:25 AM by Late Developer »
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

johnha

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 01:41:36 AM »
My choice is a Minox 35 GT-S (in hindsight I'd have preferred one without DX coding), it's quiet and compact and the scale focusing helps grab quick shots without having to look through the finder. As far as skill & subject matter go, I've not really succeeded apart from the odd shot that seems to work. I use HP5+ at IE400 (that DX coding again) as I can't really get colour to work.

John.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 03:57:29 AM »
My choice is a Minox 35 GT-S (in hindsight I'd have preferred one without DX coding), it's quiet and compact and the scale focusing helps grab quick shots without having to look through the finder. As far as skill & subject matter go, I've not really succeeded apart from the odd shot that seems to work. I use HP5+ at IE400 (that DX coding again) as I can't really get colour to work.

John.

Does the 35 GT-S have dial to manually set the ISO? If so, DX is easy to defeat: just put a piece of electrical tape over the contacts in the film chamber.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2015, 07:28:51 AM »
In my opinion any reasonably portable camera will do, it´s all about telling the story and less about the technicality for me.
Whatever works for you is good. 400 iso and up is a good choice so you can zone focus and just shoot from the hip if needed.
Only thing I would avoid is a camera that "refuses" to take the picture at low shutter speeds or when not having focus confirmed.
Happy shooting  ;D
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2015, 09:01:14 AM »

Only thing I would avoid is a camera that "refuses" to take the picture at low shutter speeds or when not having focus confirmed.

Agreed. Always avoid cameras that think they know best  :o

Blaxton

• Sheet Film
    • Flickr
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 03:36:38 PM »
I like to use a slightly wide-angle lens—not so wide as to create distortion, but wide enough to allow a little extra depth of field for zone focusing.  My favorite is a 35mm lens for 35mm film but this shot was made with a 40mm lens on a Canon G-III rangefinder.  f8 with the focus set at 10 feet covers a lot of ground. 
https://www.flickr.com/photos/willblax/

There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method. -- Herman Melville

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015, 04:10:44 PM »
Focal length is an important consideration, and is probably more closely related to shooting style than most of the other factors mentioned. The Yashica Electro has a 45mm lens IIRC, which is pretty easy to work with, if slightly toward the longer end of the spectrum. The longer the lens, the easier for the novice street shooter. Wides require a level of courage to use effectively in the street - when done right, the results can be great, but it takes a certain attitude to jam a camera in someone's face if you're shooting with anything wider than 35mm or so.

Personally, I tend to use the 40-50mm range most often for American cities with wide streets, 35 or even wider for narrow Euro streets.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2015, 04:59:49 PM »
While perhaps not a practical suggestion, I was fiddling around with my Kodak Instamatic 500 last night and I think it would be a really good street camera. The lens is a nice 38/2.8 Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar with an unimaginably quiet leaf shutter. It is small and best of all, it shoots squares! The film is another matter and I have to do some work to get unperforated film into a cassette with holes punched in the right places, but the experience is really worth it.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

johnha

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2015, 12:42:07 AM »
Does the 35 GT-S have dial to manually set the ISO? If so, DX is easy to defeat: just put a piece of electrical tape over the contacts in the film chamber.

Erm, it does have a dial on the base - but it's only a film reminder (ISO & number of exposures) - this caught me out when I bought it (well you would assume...wouldn't you?)! It's DX coded only - somewhere I have some ISO800 DX stickers...

Before the Minox it was a Pentax MX with an M40mm/2.8 pancake - the 40mm focal length worked better than 50mm and the lens makes the body reasonably compact.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2015, 01:14:13 AM »

Erm, it does have a dial on the base - but it's only a film reminder (ISO & number of exposures) - this caught me out when I bought it (well you would assume...wouldn't you?)! It's DX coded only - somewhere I have some ISO800 DX stickers...

Before the Minox it was a Pentax MX with an M40mm/2.8 pancake - the 40mm focal length worked better than 50mm and the lens makes the body reasonably compact.

That's annoying. I use electrical tape to defeat the DX coding on my XA4, which makes things far more flexible for street use.

That said, my go-to street camera these days is a Leica IIIc with a Summitar 50/2 and an external viewfinder. No pesky electronics to get in the way.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2015, 11:50:52 AM »
Agree entirely with Aksel's comment above  ;D As for the Yashica GSN Electro being sharp enough (with some sort of qualifier on the "enough")....well, I always found mine a joy to use and significantly sharper than I needed (although my photos tend to end up blurry no matter which camera I use.

As for small and light, or choosing a specific camera for street shooting; well remember that WeeGee used a Graflex 4x5 fr most of his street work. He set the focus to 10 feet and waited for people to walk into the frame....and yes, I know that is a shocking over-simplification of the man and his work, but just trying to say that it's not really about the gear.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2015, 11:53:20 AM »
Am I allowed to mention Joel Meyerowitz at this point (as per Filmwasters tradition)? The very tall, bald, invisible street photographer. No matter if he's shooting 35mm or LF...no-one can see him.

He. Is. Stealth.

But, funny stuff aside, Mr Meyerowitz takes one hell of a street shot.

http://www.fotophile.com/tag/joel-meyerowitz/
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 11:56:16 AM by Ed Wenn »

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2015, 12:14:59 PM »
Am I allowed to mention Joel Meyerowitz at this point (as per Filmwasters tradition)? The very tall, bald, invisible street photographer. No matter if he's shooting 35mm or LF...no-one can see him.

He. Is. Stealth.

Ah yes, the "Invisible Street Ninja" himself.

I met and had a chat with him when he did a lecture at the "Format" photography thingy at Quad in Derby a few years ago.  Very nice chap, more than happy to share his knowledge and tips but invisible?  Not in any normally accepted use of the term. 

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2015, 03:40:55 PM »

He. Is. Stealth.

Ah yes, the "Invisible Street Ninja" himself.

I met and had a chat with him when he did a lecture at the "Format" photography thingy at Quad in Derby a few years ago.  Very nice chap, more than happy to share his knowledge and tips but invisible?  Not in any normally accepted use of the term.
I met Bruce Gilden there about 3 years ago he was also a nice bloke, not quite a street ninja though

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2015, 08:44:03 PM »
I met Bruce Gilden there about 3 years ago he was also a nice bloke, not quite a street ninja though
Very funny  ;D
I must admit he's not the most discrete street shooter!
But I must say he's probably one of the gutsiest ones!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2015, 04:45:36 PM »
What's my street style?

Surreptitious. I shoot nudes  8)
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk